Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
i will not say no to N8 but......no to symbian with touch UI!!!

NOOOOOO!!!!!

why is every single touch symbian laggy? they dont have those lags on version 2 and 3! even if there is lag, its not as hell as the touch!
Why every other touch in maemo laggy?
Yes, in clean rary case it's smooth. In the field -- phone/messaging/web is so...mmm.. jerky.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
So painful to watch. So embarrassing.

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXWr6Ezax4
and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqh27E6OuU

Don't these companies test the devices beforehand? Or are they really really really unlucky?

Posts: 675 | Thanked: 923 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
That is so bad I actually think she might work for HTC...
* D4rKlar on DeviantART * Maemo5 on DeviantART *
_
* M4riNa D4rK Theme and Iconset *
_

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
So painful to watch. So embarrassing.

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXWr6Ezax4
and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqh27E6OuU

Don't these companies test the devices beforehand? Or are they really really really unlucky?
At least, Jobs knows how to deal with and sell it

The Following User Says Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
The *hardware* (everything "outside", not the CPU itself, and excluding the screen resolution) of the N8 is actually great - cool form factor, the quality of photos and videos taken is good, the HDMI out is awesome, USB host mode support - and it has a very good and fine-tuned tactile feedback (although I don't know if this is because of a better vibration motor, or if this is only a software thing). One thing that's missing is the HW keyboard. What's also awesome is that you can charge it not only via MicroUSB, but also with a normal Nokia charger (the one they used for the N8x0) - there is a separate charger hole for that. Not only does it reduce the wear on the USB port, but it also makes it possible to charge your device if you are on the go and don't have your MicroUSB adapter or cable with you.

The N900 still rocks hard from an OS/SW/hackability POV. You can't really beat having a standard Linux userland on such a phone - it's a huge advantage. If the Harmattan device combines all the good hardware features of the N8 with the hackability of the N900, it will be awesome. Now it's just a matter of how locked down the Harmattan device will be (Platform Security). Won't matter for end users (but might have side effects that affect them), but will matter for developers.

Crashes, a laggy UI and other UX problems can be fixed by software and firmware updates. They just take some time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post

Crashes, a laggy UI and other UX problems can be fixed by software and firmware updates. They just take some time.
Guys, I really read about fixes in firmware updates or something wrong with my browser?

I believe in last. Or heaven goint to fall to earth.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
isn't she using her fingernails on the capacitive screen? can't make it out exactly ...
Her nails aren't long enough.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Given Nokia's Maemo history, I'm sure you can understand why I would feel a bit apprehensive about promises of bugfixes and firmware updates. Especially if Nokia sets this thing up in a way that makes customers depend heavily on Nokia to provide an official firmware image.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
they did do some significant fixes in previous Symbians with late firmware updates, no?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The videos are funny and I defy anyone to write a mult-touch routine then can make sense out of random, spastic, involuntary finger movements

The only gesture vaguely understood was the "pinch to zoom in/out" but unfortunately the N8 seem to stutter as it tried to zoom the image.

Picture zooming should be silky smooth by now and on of the most visible ways to show off multi-gesture but by the looks of things Nokia still got it wrong.

It still Symbian-based which is fine but really Nokia are pushing the limits of Symbian. Great OS for budget low-spec handsets but anything beyond that is a struggle.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post: