For the ones wondering the settings I provided works perfectly with N9 too.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Northwest of Austin, TX
I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you need to buy a specific Straight Talk phone to snag the SIM card or can you just buy the cheapest Straight Talk phone for the SIM card?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by andaloosa View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you need to buy a specific Straight Talk phone to snag the SIM card or can you just buy the cheapest Straight Talk phone for the SIM card?

Thanks!
Originally you had to buy one of the smartphones to get a sim card, such as the E71 or an Android. Now Straight Talk sells the card separately.
I purchased one from Wal-Mart directly and it works great!

Note: they also have a micro sim that should work with the n9.

I have had the sim from the Nokia E71 from walmart and its working great. I also have it tested with other phones

Nowadays one can get free wifi at numerous places. I recently bought a refurbished FreedomPop Pro (3g/4g) hotspot for the rare occasions where I can't get free connection. For an one time cost of $40, I get 500 MB every month for free that I can use on 5 devices. I am currently vacationing abroad. When I get back, I plan to cancel my current $25 H2O account and get a $10 Airvoice talk-only account. The hotspot is small and can easily be put in my pocket.

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Got a byop kit from walmart, $64 = 45min talk time + $15 sim card. Pop the sim card (atnt) in n900, activated. worked like a charm. phone/internet/gps without a glitch. Anybody knows how to tether?

Switch to Nitroid, wifi worked, cell data did not.

bun

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Welcome back to the board, bun. Did GSM coverage improve in your area enough to go back to the N900?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I dont know. But I am travelling to a place where VirginMobile wont work, choice are Verizon $70/month vs StraingtTalk $45/month. So I pick Straighttalk. It worked on 1st try. Activated the card and put down my hard earned $45, here we go. THe 900 works like a charm, only 2.5G though. The whole n900 worked, map/surf web/phone etc. Kind of surprise, just like the old days. Also Nitroid booted up too, OMG, after 1 year. Nostalgic

Just checking back, on and off. Wish I can have the N9 to play with

How life been treating you?

bun