Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
i choose different folder name and it works, does that mean that folder exists somewhere? i had my menu intalled but unistalled it before putting this one on?

i was able to create different name folder, i had mymenu before and i took it out before installinga apmefo

does it mean the folder still exists somewhere? if so where could i find it?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by rantom View Post
Ah, sorry, my bad. I answered quite quickly to this in the morning (on my way to work) so I didn't concentrate. So let me get it straight : no, it doesn't work for top-folders (the main one), I don't know about sub-folders. Never tried, maybe I should, at some point.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding.
Ahhh, I mis-understood as well. In my experience:

Top-Folder:
1) You can order applications (listed before folders, currently I have phone, extended call log, contacts, conversation, then sub-folders in alphabetical order)
2) You can not order the sub-folders

Sub-Folder:
1) You can not order applications (tried this morning).
2) Sub-Folders - Haven't tried this (either sub-sub folders or ordering them).

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Good news: I'm tired, frustrated, in pain, about to lose my job and dying thanks the heat (at 11pm...). Since getting drunk is no option for me, burying myself in my shitty Python code is the only thing to keep me from giving in to the urge to forcefully hit the concrete beneath my window.

So expect an influx of updates in the near future.

But first things first:

Originally Posted by amorek13 View Post
was trying to create games folder

hildon.menu set : true
hildon.menu matches : true

directory files:
applications.directory
audiovideo.directory
development.directory
education.directory
games.directory
geo.directory
graphics.directory
network.directory
office.directory
other.directory
scienece.direcotry
system.directory
So, seems like the .directory file was successfully created and the culprit is actually the .menu file. And what a culprit it is - for if that's really all the diagnosis tool returned it seems like the whole submenu folder doesn't exist...

Even more strange the fact that it works for other folders now - maybe it was just a temporary hiccup and got fixed with the next folder? Did you try recreating the games folder again after that?

Normally, neither MyMenu nor Catorise should have any effect on the creation of the files (only on how the folders are displayed in the menu later), so this shouldn't be the problem. Even if there was an old folder with the same name, it should be overwritten (or at least overruled).

If still doesn't work, I guess I'll have to expand on the diagnosis tool to also print the actual XML code of all the folders.

@lemmyslender & rantom: Not sure I can really follow your conversation (as stated above: I'm tired and my brain's a sluggish mess), but it seems like you're having problems re-arranging applications within folders?

That actually works quite well for me - it's even included with build 5 already:

Added a couple of other fixes to build 5, will be updating the front page in a minute.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
New version of the ToDo list:

Features and Bugs for V1.0
Before adding a lot of new functionality, I'd like to get a stable and usable V1.0 out there. This will include the following requests:
  • The popups for selecting Folders and Applications will be sorted alphabetically. Done
  • The popup for selecting Applications will allow for multiple selections (this makes the request for getting rid of the OK button impossible, so the button will have to stay in there). Done
  • When adding/removing Applications, ONLY the part between the Include tags will be modified. That way, it will be possible to manually add applications between Exclude tags without them being touch by ApMeFo. Done
  • I will try to implement better routines to check whether an application is set to NoDisplay or not (hopefully I only overlooked a small case inconsistency, which would be easy to fix then). Can anybody say whether it got any better with build 5?
  • If possible, I would like to fetch localised application names. Sadly, I don't have the faintest idea how to do that - would be happy about any hint you could give me!

Post V1.0 features
Once we have a stable release, in relatively small version steps I'd like to implement the rest of the request. Not sure which of them are actually do-able, and with some I'm still unsure on how to best implement them:
  • In the select popup, do not list applications already added to the current folder. Not quite high on my list of priorities, since adding an application twice to the same folder won't do no harm, anyway. But for reasons of clarity it will be fixed eventually.
  • In the select popup, add a button "Show only unallocated applications". Not sure whether this will actually work, because checking every single folder against the list of applications might turn out rather slow. Will give it a try.
  • Add auto-categorisation: Not sure whether this would be a good idea, since most applications are either not marked or put into a totally random folder. If anything, reading Catorise's file would be an option, but that would only work when both applications could run at the same time (see me last post).
  • Rearrange/sort applications: Would love to add this feature, but until I learn how to do this manually I won't be able to include it with ApMeFo. Done - thanks lemmyslender!
  • Allow for non-Ascii names of folders (and find no-Ascii names of applications): Sadly, I haven't yet found a way to do that with Python. Will definitely try to get a workaround, though. Working on that right now.
  • Add the ability to rename folders: Probably one of the first changes, since this is both easy to do AND a great idea.
  • Add a setting to automatically add new applications to a "More..." folder instead of to the main menu.
  • Hide/Unhide folders. Not sure whether this works, but if it does, it will definitely be included!

Requests I'm not sure about
These are request that where made but I'm not quite sure about. Would be happy about any input on what others think about it.
  • Omitting the filenames of icons in the selection popup. While this would make scrolling less tedious, I'm not sure whether to implement this. Filenames can be quite a good indicator on where you are (for example, once I'm around the icons starting with "F" I know I'll have to expect the filemanager_* icons soon).
  • Make separate buttons for Create and Edit. Would this really be an advantage over the current system? If not I'm not sure whether it would be worthwhile to add a couple of new methods and messages to do so.

Requests that are most probably not going to make it in
Because they are either impossible/dangerous or simply not necessary.
  • While I more than understand those requests, I won't do anything that includes modifying hildon.menu at DOM level. I'm just not prepared to risk messing up other people's devices (bad enough that I already do with a less critical copy&paste modification of the file ). Sadly, this also includes rearranging and sorting folders and applications in the main menu...
  • Backup changes done with ApMeFo: Actually, there's just no need to do that. If you decide to deactivate or uninstall ApMeFo, both the .desktop files and the .menu files will remain, they just won't have any effect on your menu (provided to deleted hildon.menu). Once you reinstall/-activate ApMeFo, you'll have full access to those folder settings again.

Again, if I missed anything, please let me know!

Last edited by Nathraiben; 2010-06-29 at 23:07.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
While I more than understand those requests, I won't do anything that includes modifying hildon.menu at DOM level. I'm just not prepared to risk messing up other people's devices (bad enough that I already do with a less critical copy&paste modification of the file ). Sadly, this also includes rearranging and sorting folders and applications in the main menu...
Wasn't this possible pre-pr1.2? I tried a couple things I saw here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=42 but couldn't get it to work as right now adding another <Menu> under layout doesn't show up in order (really frustrating since I swear I got it to work once before!)

And also, what about folders within folders? Those could be reordered in the same way as applications do, without messing directly with the main hildon.menu, right?

Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Add a setting to automatically add new applications to a "More..." folder instead of to the main menu.
Also this, do you have any idea of how to do this? Adding <All/>, <OnlyUnallocated/>, <Merge type="all"/>, etc, all break subfolders here.

Someone get me the PR1.1.1 launcher back :P

Last edited by fwrnando; 2010-06-30 at 01:18.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I was having issues with re-arranging the order of apps in sub-folders (manually), but the latest version works great!

Looking very good so far.

well i never created all those folders they have same names as mymenu so i think thats where they coming from also can not delete them, any one knows where would they be located at so i can get rude of them manually?

also can renaming a folder be implemented?

ok i found it and delted old directories now it works fine
they are located at : usr/share/applications/hildon

The Following User Says Thank You to amorek13 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the great app.

I am having a problem putting Maepad into a folder. Has anybody came across the same problem?