Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Again guys just to point out, Flipclock is designed for exactly what you're talking about: full screen clock (with alarm functions). If you go to "night mode" you can even set the colour of the display... and if you press the little back/escape (curled over arrow button) you can put the clock into "insomniac mode" which will cause the display to stay on at the "dimmed" state all night, so you don't even have to reach over and wake the tablet up... I use it all the time like this as it now acts as a complete replacement for my old digital clock (just remember if you're going to use it that way make sure the power cable is plugged in or the display will drain the battery).
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Jolouis, wow, this is great. I just installed it and I love the night display. Only problem is my numbers are different to yours!

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Jolouis's FLIPCLOCK is GREAT !!!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I'm tempted to install flipclock -- it does have more features than daliclock.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I'm tempted to install flipclock -- it does have more features than daliclock.
Fragos, before you install from repo see my problems in the flipclock thread. It may be an older version - currently waiting for some clarification. Cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Aurora, IL
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Slightly off topic, but as the main developer of Flipclock, just got to jump in and say can you please post over in the flipclock thread about this? That way I can try and help fix it for you! The main problem is usually that the sound file you're using is too short; Flip's current "fade sound in" approach fades volume per-song rather than overall, which means short audio files (less than 30 seconds or so) are never really audible; it'll be fixed in future versions, but in the mean time the easy work around is to just use a longer sound file or a pre-looped audio clip.

For anyone else who's having difficulties/wants more out of their tablet as an alarm clock, Flipclock gives you the ability to do different alarms per day (i.e. one alarm on Monday, different one tuesday, etc)... and disable/enable them easily without having to delete/recreate them. Also, it uses alarmD so has the ability to auto launch, auto-start tablet, etc. Anyways, if you haven't checked it out it's up in extras... designed specifically to solve the problems/short comings of the internal clock app
Is there a way to turn off the fade-in. (I'm not afraid to edit files!!!)

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by nymusicman View Post
Is there a way to turn off the fade-in. (I'm not afraid to edit files!!!)
Well with a few lines of code you can probably tweak it to play directly instead of doing the fade (future versions of the clock will have different options for playback/etc I just haven't got there yet), but probably the easiest/quickest solution is to shorten the time of the fade so that instead of taking say 30 seconds it takes say 30 milliseconds ;-)

Open up /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/flipclock/ci_alarmNew.py

and find on line 83 the code that reads:
Code:
		#Fade it in
		ci_mediaPlayer.mediaController.fadeSoundIn()
Right now there's no time value passed, so it uses teh default of 20000 (20 seconds); if you pass an integer argument, it will use that time instead. For example, so make the fade in happen faster, try using 5 or 50:

Code:
		#Fade it in
		ci_mediaPlayer.mediaController.fadeSoundIn(5)
Optionally you can also tweak the max volume by passing a second argument in the range of 20 to 100 (it defaults to 80). So if you want a bit louder try:

Code:
		#Fade it in
		ci_mediaPlayer.mediaController.fadeSoundIn(5, 100)
Hope that helps!

Same problem as PopGoesWeasel. Alarm dialogue box appears but no sounds of any kind. Other system etc. sounds are ok. (Youtube on browser also doesn't work; Internet radio sometimes only works after a couple of restarts).

Solved - seems like some app running in the background had muted the alarm sound. Switched off, removed battery, waited a while, replaced battery, restarted, ok.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by PopGoesWeasel View Post
810 with latest update no longer supplies any sound at all when alarm is supposed to sound. All you get is the prompt and then all sounds fail to play. Keyboard clicks screen clicks, nothing.
It is because there is no alarm sound file for the alarm to play, and it continuous to look for the file, thus ALL sound/player wont work until reboot.

Go find a sound file/mp3 and point your alarm to the sound file. That would fix the problem.
Sound files are stored at /usr/share/sounds, somehow copy to the audio folder will do.

Or check your memory. Memory low or out will also behave like this

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-11-09 at 13:39.