Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
The arguments being made for the N900/Maemo are very poor in my opinion.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to name a feature that is needed in a mobile device that the iPhone lacks that the N900 possess.
What about :
- running chrooted Linux (like Easy Debian) ?
- compiling with gcc/g++ ?
- ssh -X from both directions ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
I like some of the information piling in this thread, but ultimately I have to side with xxxts.

The iPhone can do everything that's required of a modern smartphone, the N900 can't.

Nearly all the things N900 can do, the iPhone can do as well... and usually faster and more practical.

There's bound to be things the iPhone cannot do that the N900 can, which is why I chalk it up to different audiences.

The iPhone is for the 99% where the N900 is for the 1%.
The iPhone is a much much better smartphone, the N900 is an enthusiastphone.

I think its not even possible to debate these anymore. We'll just have to wait and see what Jolla and Android 4.2/5 offers.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I like some of the information piling in this thread, but ultimately I have to side with xxxts.

The iPhone can do everything that's required of a modern smartphone, the N900 can't.

Nearly all the things N900 can do, the iPhone can do as well... and usually faster and more practical.

There's bound to be things the iPhone cannot do that the N900 can, which is why I chalk it up to different audiences.

The iPhone is for the 99% where the N900 is for the 1%.
The iPhone is a much much better phone, the N900 is an computer.

I think its not even possible to debate these anymore. We'll just have to wait and see what Jolla and Android 4.2/5 offers.
There, fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Loser, i can name you 5 things my n9 does that the iphone doesnt. You name me one things that i couldn't do with a browser that your app does. Leave out the games, i am not playing titly games made for 2 year olds.
1. It runs firefox. The only browser that allows JavaScript menus and flash . Very useful if you have your OWN cloud, synology.
2. Automatically connects me to my cars bluetooth with the scan of a tag.
3. Lets me delete and download songs on my phone.
4. Lets me change my host file so i don't see any ads, out of the box.
5. Lets me Shake my phone to answer calls.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to balisingh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
What about
FYI: iphone-gcc_4.2-20090304-1-9_iphoneos-arm.deb
*This needs a jailbreak, while on every single Maemo device, this can be done without voiding the warranty in under 10 minutes.

xxxts, I respect your decision to use an iPhone as a... phone. It just works (tm).

Good to know that you're still in the Maemo game, using the N900 as a UMPC (which I feel was probably the real goal of the Maemo devices all along).

computer>smartphone>featurephone

N900 wins, FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Seriously, wtf is a smartphone anyway?

"My life fades, my vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land. Most of all, I remember the man we called Max, the road warrior. To understand who he was we have to go back to the other time. When the world was powered by the black fuel, and the desert sprung great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel they were nothing. They'd built a house of straw. Suddenly their machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked, but nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. Cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting and a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men.

On the roads it was a white-line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, waging war for a tank of juice. Good brave men were battered and smashed. Men like Max, who ruled the highways in the name of the law. Who became a lover, husband, father. And with the roar of an engine, he lost everything, his woman, his child, his world. He wandered out into the wasteland, and here he would learn, amid the dark wreckage, that the fire which burns in the heart of man, will endure. Hope survives."

When the apocalypse comes I will be fine rocking my pocket computer + diesel powered KLR650. All you bozos with your carhart hoodies and iphone 6s, well. Your ****ed.

The iphone excels at the trivial, that is all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
We seem to have a difference of opinion of what constitutes a computer...
My iPhone "computer" can edit 1080p videos, audio, HD images, it is a very functional "computer"
My N900 "computer" can't do that. Not only with the hardware given, but also with the software. Bottom line.
They are both computers, both using the same processor type (ARM Cortex). So if you want to say, "Well one is a computer and one is not" due to the OS (BSD vs Linux kernels) - I would say that's a pretty silly notion. I don't think anyone would argue that the feats my iPhone computer are much more impressive than the feats my N900 computer can do.
Oh man, you're so right...

But you can't win on this forum. These people here won't ever acknowledge the facts you stated. I know, I tried to do the same thing, but gave up.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
computer>smartphone>featurephone

N900 wins, FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Seriously, what is a smartphone anyway?

"My life fades, my vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land. Most of all, I remember the man we called Max, the road warrior. To understand who he was we have to go back to the other time. When the world was powered by the black fuel, and the desert sprung great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel they were nothing. They'd built a house of straw. Suddenly their machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked, but nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. Cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting and a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men.

On the roads it was a white-line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, waging war for a tank of juice. Good brave men were battered and smashed. Men like Max, who ruled the highways in the name of the law. Who became a lover, husband, father. And with the roar of an engine, he lost everything, his woman, his child, his world. He wandered out into the wasteland, and here he would learn, amid the dark wreckage, that the fire which burns in the heart of man, will endure. Hope survives."

When the apocalypse comes I will be fine rocking my pocket computer + diesel powered KLR650. All you bozos with your carhart hoodies and iphone 6s, well. Your ****ed.

The iphone excels at the trivial, that is all.
Rock-paper-scissors... Featurephone is everlasting, because it doesn't need updates from outside world, and does not depend on anybody to continue supporting it. It's still beautiful, after all these years, akin to a rock crystal.
Smartphone is cursed for being unable to do something, or for doing too much (Android camera automatically focuses itself every second because the device does not have a dedicated camera button with half-press, and there is neither a setting to turn this annoyance off so that it would focus only when a photograph is being taken, nor an openness to change the software interface so that it would include half-press-capable software button for autofocus and taking picture).
And don't forget the 'simple' phone, with black-and-white screen. It's smooth in the hand like a worn gray pebble, and solid as a rock. It's an anachronism like a cuckoo-clock. And on some occasions, it function as well (making a call) or even better (taking a plunge in a lake) than a smartfeaturephonemobilecomputer.
Warning: this abstract image is not easy to view. It requires SVG and data URI compatibility.

On the topic of apocalypse, have you read "Damnation Alley" by Roger Zelazny?
Thank you. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
We seem to have a difference of opinion of what constitutes a computer...
Not really. What we actually have is a difference of opinion in what we want out of a mobile device.

My iPhone "computer" can edit 1080p videos, audio, HD images, it is a very functional "computer"

My N900 "computer" can't do that. Not only with the hardware given, but also with the software. Bottom line.
Yes, the hardware in today's iPhone is vastly superior to that within the N900. Which only makes sense, as the hardware in the N900 is now more than four years old (and the N9 isn't all that much faster).

If it helps, my own iPhone (still sitting in a corner of my room) can't edit 1080p videos or HD images. Of course, this is because it is a first-generation iPhone, and the hardware can't deal with that kind of task.

It's not a software problem.

They are both computers, both using the same processor type (ARM Cortex). So if you want to say, "Well one is a computer and one is not" due to the OS (BSD vs Linux kernels) - I would say that's a pretty silly notion.
Yes, both devices have CPUs, and yes, both devices have OSs with Unix-like kernels. But the difference is obvious -- and even you already know it! I can see that you've "jailbroken" your iPhone. Doesn't the very word Jailbreak bring anything to mind? In order to run the software you want, you've had to modify your phone in a manner Apple very much does not want you to. And Apple will continue to try and fight against you every step of the way; I'm betting you haven't installed iOS 6 on your phone yet.

In any case, that's my argument -- getting an iPhone to give me a useful working environment requires making lots of unauthorized modifications to the operating system (and I'm still not sure I'd be able to use it very well). Getting an N900 to give me a useful working environment requires, well, just switching it on.

I don't like Apple - I don't generally like their products
I personally love Apple. My first computer was an Apple ][+. I was wowed by the first Macs (I got to play with a Fat Mac -- the one with an entire 512 Kilobytes of RAM -- for a few months when it first came out). Ultimately, I couldn't deal with the closed nature of MacOS and drifted over to Unix, but when OS X came out, I ended up back in the Apple camp. In fact, I'm writing this right now on a Mac Mini.

But yeah, the iPhone simply doesn't do it for me. The thing is a toy! Yes, you can add an external keyboard, jailbreak the thing, make endless endless modifications to try to turn it into a different device. But you're always going to be fighting the system.

The N900 does what I want right out of the box. No hassles, no compromises, no limitations.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2012-10-22 at 13:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
What about :
- running chrooted Linux (like Easy Debian) ?
With all due respect to your opinion, but who and why needs that on the go? I mean, when you're at home/work a laptop/desktop is much more comfortable to work with than a phone, and I can't find a reason why one may need those capabilities on the go. Not to say I think iPhone is better than n900 - I honestly dislike apple products, much prefer my N9 or previous androids I've owned.

EDIT: and to be fair, I also think that iPhone being able to edit hd video / photos is also useless. Can't imagine why would one want to do that on such a tiny screen when your laptop seats on the desk. And being forced to do that on the go? I mean, why?

Last edited by don.edri; 2012-10-22 at 13:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don.edri For This Useful Post:

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd