Andrew... is your onboard a CPU hog?? Mine does not drop below 38% or so CPU and my CPU monitor is always topped out in LXDE while it's running. That'll kill battery life real quick...

Just curious if this is just something fubar'd with my setup...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
no I should have told you that its a processor hog, but its the best I've found so far most of the others lag and you get like 5 letters a click lol. The only reason I suggest it right now is because its the most usable. I"m going to keep an eye out for a better one for n800 users let me know if you find one.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Just asking how do they login first time without keyboard so they can install theme and enable it?
Well, you install lxde when you are in Mer, what makes you unable to modify the gdm before you reboot?

Is kvkbd working in LXDE? It worked in KDE 4.2, but it might have too heavy depends for LXDE or something?

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
All well and nice, but how is the performance of Mer and LXDE? Especially compared to Maemo? And is there a good lightweight browser (or does FF3 on the N810 run on acceptable speed)? What about other applications? as you wrote yourself, stuff like Scribus runs but isn't usable.

currently, i think Mer isn't any faster than Maemo. (i think Ubuntu developers haven't yet made a vfp-enabled packages)

Midori is a lightweight and fast webkit browser. Latest epiphany-gecko is good too, it has adblocker.

Latest FF 3.1 is somehow usable on lightweight pages, but itT is way too heavy

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
I don't find a huge lag in Mer.. it isn't much WORSE than maemo IMHO.. depending of course on the software you are trying to run.. but it isn't any better. If you keep the software to lightweight software like Meiz put then Mer/Ubuntu is perfectly fine and functional. I have used the new OpenOffice 3.0 perfectly fine as long as your document isn't littered with tons of embedded images and other stuff.. but even then it'll just take longer for it to load.. once up it works fine.

I haven't used it much after adding this onboard keyboard though so I don't know how that'll effect things being that it's quite CPU hungry. It could very well impact most of the heavier software that works OK like OO.org or FF 3.. the lightweight stuff should still function decently though..

Anyone get a good PDF viewer to work right in Ubuntu/Mer?? I installed xpdf but it won't launch.. crashes before it can. I haven't had a lot of time to look into to find why but just curious if anyone's found one..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by branitar View Post
All well and nice, but how is the performance of Mer and LXDE? Especially compared to Maemo? And is there a good lightweight browser (or does FF3 on the N810 run on acceptable speed)? What about other applications? as you wrote yourself, stuff like Scribus runs but isn't usable.
All together Mer/LXDE runs well FF3 is the best browser I have found so far it runs better then midori to me atleast.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Just updated how-to with instructions on loading Hildon or Lxde

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
I will give it a try then

Tags
lxde, mer