Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I don't see any updates here. Why? My version is 3.2010.02-8.
Are you updating with the app manager or with xterm?

16 update . . right now!!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
I don't see any updates here. Why? My version is 3.2010.02-8.
Are you updating with the app manager or with xterm?
We're using App Mgr. Maybe the updates are from Extras-testing and Extras-devel.

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
We're using App Mgr. Maybe the updates are from Extras-testing and Extras-devel.
No updates even enabling Maemo sdk. Maybe it's a different firwmware version... I'll wait.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
We are talking about update of installed apps, say, if you have installed kmplayer, there is an update from Extras-devel....Just checked there are 14 updates in 24 hrs, something is eminent , again, if you happened not to have any of those programs installed, highly unlikely, you will then see NO updates.

For 14 updates, clicks the app manager menu on top border, there is a function "update all?", this saves you time to update one by one and wait for refresh of the catalogue after each updates.

bun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Actually on the Dev list they announced they were switching part of the backend toolset dependacy program. And then they were rebuilding the apps in the Extras-Devel so that those apps that didn't need the new dependancies could/would work properly on the Pre-1.2 phones. So a ton of apps that used to think they wouldn't run; are now tagged properly as running on pre-1.2 phones.

This is to make things more compatible for those who don't upgrade (when it is released) and because no one has a clue when 1.2 will be released. Since we upgraded the "toolchain" in anticipation of 1.2 coming out soon (so that we would have lots of 1.2 compatible apps) and so far it has been a disaster of a move because 1.2 has not shown up and so everything was being "blocked" in Extras-Devel since no one could even install/test the "new" versions. Now their is only a "minor" number of apps that are blocked since 1.2 does have a new QT and libhildon. But otherwise the rest of the apps are now free to move to Testing and finally just plain Extras.

Nathan

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cali
20 to update here

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
It's worth bearing in mind that this has been done by the community (maemo.org staff, primarily Niels/X-Fade; and the Community Council) in response to the issues encountered.

We don't know when PR1.2 will be released, but the reason for the work was also to prepare for PR1.3 (if it comes) and any other future updates. If it only fixes extras-devel for four days, so be it - but it'll still be worthwhile.

However, I'm amazed that so many people are updating from Extras-devel continually.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

However, I'm amazed that so many people are updating from Extras-devel continually.
if these many people didnt update from extra-devel then it wouldnt really get promoted as there would not be many users testing...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
if these many people didnt update from extra-devel then it wouldnt really get promoted as there would not be many users testing...
Process goes:
  1. Developer tests in local environment. Decides to start process of promotion.
  2. Developer uploads to Extras-devel
  3. Developer installs from Extras-devel and finds further bugs
  4. Developer re-uploads to Extras-devel
  5. When developer happy with -devel version and wants feedback and further testing, promotes to -testing
  6. Developer gets more testing and, if no blockers are found, promotes to Extras.

If you're installing from -devel you are installing stuff that the developer doesn't think is yet suitable for widespread testing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: