Poll: Are you getting a Pandora console?
Poll Options
Are you getting a Pandora console?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
In the wealthy Western world, "I can't afford it," is similar to the excuse, "I don't have time for that."

They both mean, "That does not have a high enough priority for me to spend money / time on it."

Perhaps, more precisely, there is a priority / cost ratio, where the needed priority drops as the cost drops. So perhaps you could say, "that thing is too expensive for its perceived usefulness."
I disagree in my case. Economy's going to ****, currently not working, and living off savings for now, means that I've got plenty of time for it, but can't spend money on things that aren't necessities like oh, food, water, electricity, rent.

Sometimes, "can't afford it right now," means precisely what it says it means.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhoff80 For This Useful Post:
Same thing. The more money you have, the less important something has to be for you to buy it at the same price.

You could, if a Pandora was that important, live on less/cheaper food, buy on credit and find a job (even if it has to be an illegal sub-minimum-wage one), move out and go homeless, etc. In your situation, it sounds like considering a Pandora important enough to buy could get you committed to a mental institution, but it's still possible.

And good luck with said situation, by the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Got a Beagle, may get a Pandora later.
Please post some video when you have this working.

I think with the right OMAP3 server and the right OMAP3 hand held I could put all of my other toys away. That would be nice.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Please post some video when you have this working.
Only if you buy me one first.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
In the wealthy Western world, "I can't afford it," is similar to the excuse, "I don't have time for that."

They both mean, "That does not have a high enough priority for me to spend money / time on it."

Perhaps, more precisely, there is a priority / cost ratio, where the needed priority drops as the cost drops. So perhaps you could say, "that thing is too expensive for its perceived usefulness."
The fact that I'm already $200 in the hole in the bank and my credit is maxed out with no other sources doesn't indicate that this is not a high enough priority for me. :P I am literally unable to afford to buy food until payday.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Only if you buy me one first.
Huh, I thought you would have had one already. What else would you be doing with that thing? Think about the time lapse photography of dust settling. Well, that's what I would do; besides two chicks at once of course.

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
@migs: It's not x86, so no windows xp or vista. You should look at an MID if you're tied to Windows. I think the Aigo MID might get drivers for XP at some point...

FWIW, I got word from Aigo that XP drivers will be released within the next few weeks....

Not sure if I'll put XP on my Aigo MID P8860, dual booting Midinux and Ubuntu on it now....

On the other hand, might sell Aigo now as I pre-ordered Pandora the other day....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Well I see that I'm not in a majority position as usual, but that's OK, I can rationalize my way through :-)

I *am* tempted, as a former Psion and Zaurus user, by the clamshell design combined with state-of-the-art power, connectivity and battery life. Sorely tempted.

OTOH, I'm not really a hacker, not really a gamer, and a bit tired of being a beta-tester. After all I already have three tablets and a Zaurus, it's not like I *need* a fifth diamond in the rough to pass the time with...

So to save my sanity, and as an uncommon last resort, I try my hand at common sense :

* if there ISN'T a second batch, the platform will have failed, and I will have one less dust-gathering paperweight I can't bring myself to part with because I'm too weak...

* if there IS a second batch (and third, and...), which I hope for, at that time there will enough user feedback on what the gizmo is really capable of, what's available or not, where it's going, etc. Maybe even some uncovered glaring design error(s) may have been corrected in the new batches... I guess I can change my mind then :-)
FWIW, pre-ordering has gone so well (over 2000 in the first 6 hours...) that they've bumped up first batch limit from 3000 to 4000, but order cut-off is this Sunday I think....check their website....

Sorry, if this was posted before, as I've only skimmed other posts in this thread....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wisconsin, USA
I'll be interested to see the reviews, but won't order before then.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Not sure if I'll put XP on my Aigo MID P8860, dual booting Midinux and Ubuntu on it now....
ArchiMark, if you get the chance to open a new topic in order to give us your impressions of the Aigo and the state of the Linux o/s you have tried, I for one would really like to read it.

Tags
pandora