Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
they are the same?
I found that the command in N9 is not as much as N900, is there anything need to install to get more command entry?

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
What command entries are you missing on the N9 that you had on the N900?

(besides copy and paste, which we are all praying comes to the N9 terminal in PR 1.2)

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
What command entries are you missing on the N9 that you had on the N900?

(besides copy and paste, which we are all praying comes to the N9 terminal in PR 1.2)
Copy and paste in Xterminal came in an update today.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eminem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
start and stop

Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
It did???!!! What update? I just got PR 1.2 yesterday but I was told that update did not include any new copy/paste options.

Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
start and stop
Start and Stop? I'm not sure what x-term commands you are referring to here. Where did you find those 'commands' on the N900?

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
Thank you very much ! I confirm this update, installed it 5 minutes ago in my Nokia N9 (PR1.1, in Brazil) :

- there is a semi-visible double vertical arrow in the top right corner of the terminal, tapping it becomes a scissor with text selection enabled;

- copy, paste, clear are working, with global copy&paste, not just inside terminal.

Thanks Nokia for making the Nokia N9 better each day !
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Wow! Copy and paste are in the X-term under PR 1.1??

This is huge! Really, it changes almost everything about how I use the phone!

I'm confused. The small menu icon in the upper right corner of the xterm screen only pops up a menu enabling a new shell window and the toggle between arrows and shell keys. Where do you find clipboard options?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
For the record, X-Terminal is just an interface - the commands you use through X-Terminal aren't part of X-Terminal, they're just command-line programs available on the system. Most of the basic ones are built in to the "busybox" binary, which is a configurable package that includes (or can include - which ones are included is determined when the binary is compiled) within it a large number of command-line tools common in linux systems. I suspect that as the N9 gets more attention and more time passes, developers might start providing command-line utilities for installing, which would then hopefully let you use them from X-Terminal.

cddiede, "start" and "stop" are commands for job control - I'm not too experienced in this myself, but "jobs" are basically a way for you to have shell commands working in the background while doing something else in the foreground without having to open more than one X-Terminal window. For example, if you're using the x-terminal editor vi to edit a text file, but then want to run some other command, pressing Ctrl+Z would background the vi editor, and you would get the shell back - the editor would still be running in the "background" of that X-Terminal though. 'start' and 'stop' let you initiate and terminate jobs with more control, in other words.

- Edit -

Since I never used start/stop commands myself before, and only started learning them to answer cddiede's question, I want to point out that my information isn't guaranteed to be completely accurate.

Anyway, start/stop commands are symlinked on the N900 to "initctl" - do you have that command on the N9?

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-11-23 at 19:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: