Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, BrentDC and others who use LXDE as your primary environment!

You have to help me find the Openbox (LXDE's WM) configuration setting that lets you move windows past the top of the screen. If you can find this setting, you'll just have to hit the menu button once and then tap the top of the screen to jump the window up (I already have that part set).

This page says it can be done. That would fix GIMP and others.
The config file is in /home/user/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

I've already heavily modified it to suit my needs, like mapping the fullscreen key to make apps fullscreen, menu for right-click (in QT, too), minus key for moving windows, etc.

Although you can feasibly still use GIMP in lxde, it isn't really useable. Because Matchbox crunches down windows to fit the screen, GIMP is pretty useable in hildon because minimal scrolling is needed (only with dialogs). But on the other hand, lxde respects the minimum height and width of windows, so the near constant moving of the windows makes it very hard to use. [because GIMP windows are huge].

Edit: that was confusing, ask if you have questions.

EDIT: Try this please! Within LXDE, open a window, put the mouse cursor in the middle of the screen, then press the menu HW key on your tablet (this should change the cursor to a four-way arrow), then drag your stylus from the middle of the window upwards. See if that moves the window up past the top of the screen. It seems to work on my tablet, but I've been messing with the config files.

EDIT 2: The method given above WORKS for GIMP; It is usable in LXDE.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2008-10-08 at 00:57.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I've already heavily modified it to suit my needs, like mapping the fullscreen key to make apps fullscreen, menu for right-click (in QT, too), minus key for moving windows, etc.
You can use your minus key, then, to move the windows to get to the buttons.

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Although you can feasibly still use GIMP in lxde, it isn't really useable. Because Matchbox crunches down windows to fit the screen, GIMP is pretty useable in hildon because minimal scrolling is needed (only with dialogs). But on the other hand, lxde respects the minimum height and width of windows, so the near constant moving of the windows makes it very hard to use. [because GIMP windows are huge].
Actually you can configure GIMP windows to be much smaller, it just means there will be more of them. But with multiple desktops, that's not a problem. Just put a few windows on one desktop, a few on another, etc... For instance, I have broken out all of the palette, gradient, brush, etc dialogs into a separate window instead of leaving them joined on to the bottom of the layers window.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm not sure if the silence means that everything's OK. I hope so.

I keep thinking I've got the last beta version ready, and then I discover another cool trick. My last beta package will add two OS2008 menu icons, "CPU: Performance" and "CPU: On Demand". Setting your tablet to "Performance" seems to help OpenOffice and other big apps.

I think this will really be a great release; the fast image file and processor pegging will allow you to run OpenOffice and Firefox 3 reasonably well. I really like LXDE too; it feels like a "real desktop".

Here's a new version of Easy Debian that includes icons for setting the CPU to "performance" and "on-demand" mode.

easy-deb-chroot-0.9-11_armel.deb

Using this version on a stock Diablo N800, and the Easy Debian image file (this is important! not using a partition or anything, just the image file!), with performance mode turned on and the chroot already open, a first run of Open Office only takes 100 seconds (1:40) to a usable blank document. Wow. We've moved from the realm of "cute circus trick" to "usable handheld laptop" ....

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-09 at 22:11. Reason: oops

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
It could be an interresting test to compare speed with different memory cards

EDIT:
When using xtightvncviewer in fullscreen mode in Debian-chroot, the N810 keyboard does not respond ; is it normal ?

Last edited by murphy; 2008-10-09 at 17:10.

As an owner of two N800s, but no N810s, I can't answer. Anyone?

(perhaps you should try running "xmodmap /home/user/.Xmodmap-keymap" first?)

The Maemo VNC Viewer works great; unless you want something specific from the xtightvncviewer that the Maemo one doesn't provide (I can't imagine what that would be), I would recommend just using the Maemo one.

I created a ssh tunnel and use it with :
xtightvncviewer localhost::44444 -fullscreen
but with vnc viewer (at least the maemo one) I couldn't configure it with a port in parameter.

Just tried and your virtualkeyboards doesn't work ether in xtightvncviewer fullscreened (so you could try it yourself : the keyboard is visible but not writing anything).

Last edited by murphy; 2008-10-09 at 18:05.

I have been running Easy Debian and Open Office on my N800...I've just been playing around with the latest deb and I definitely see the performance improvement while running Open Office in CPU performance mode. This is really great, thanks to qole and everyone else.

The only bug I'm experiencing is that I can call up the HW keyboard (minus key + menu) and when I type on it I see the keys being depressed, but no output shows on the document itself. However, the regular keyboard from the LXDE taskbar does work (the xkvd keyboard has the sticky key issue that makes it unusable). LXDE and Open Office also work great with a USB keyboard and an adaptor (either the custom one from Canada or a stock one and USB Control).

I'm sort of a noob, but I'm just wondering if there's something I can tweak on my N800 to get the HW keyboard working, which would make working in full screen mode so much easier. I've updated everything (only using the Lenny repositories) using the Synaptic Package Manager and I'm running the latest update of OS2008.

Sorry to run on here, I appreciate any help you can throw my way!

Best regards,

slippy

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
I created a ssh tunnel and use it with :
xtightvncviewer localhost::44444 -fullscreen
but with vnc viewer (at least the maemo one) I couldn't configure it with a port in parameter.
You can; if you supply a small number, it takes it as a screen number and adds 5900 for the port number, but if you enter a large number, it takes it as a port number. (I don't know where the cutoff is, but it should work fine unless you're using a rather low port number.)

But what I do is ssh -L5901:127.0.0.1:5900 ... so I can connect to localhost:1, leaving :0 open for a VNC server on the tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
You can; if you supply a small number, it takes it as a screen number and adds 5900 for the port number, but if you enter a large number, it takes it as a port number. (I don't know where the cutoff is, but it should work fine unless you're using a rather low port number.)

But what I do is ssh -L5901:127.0.0.1:5900 ... so I can connect to localhost:1, leaving :0 open for a VNC server on the tablet.
You're totally right. I changed my port to 5901 and it now works directly under maemo with : vncviewer localhost:1
Thanks a lot for this explanation

That's fantastic : I have my home laptop's desktop in my pocket everywhere I go !

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete