Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Look at his reference. His statements about it being used, rather erroneously, in music has absolutely nothing to do with the aforesaid miserly synonym.

His verbiage denotes the slur and not a proper usage of the word.
Correct.. we were correct ossipena, ctbeiser, and from appearances, you when you said to FMS:

Why in the world would you even want to use that word?
It's a perfectly legitimate word and people shouldn't need to change the English Language just because it seems similar to a "bad" word.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Correct.. we were correct ossipena, ctbeiser, and from appearances, you when you said to FMS
I don't understand... and would rather not assume.

It's a perfectly legitimate word and people shouldn't need to change the English Language just because it seems similar to a "bad" word.
True. But still... just an odd word to randomly bring up; not a word that's apparently culled from the dictionary words that are taboo to be used here.

Thus, the question. Why would you want to use that word and ultimately, why would you ask? It's not censored.

I didn't note that it's a racial slur until somebody decided to bring up music and I'm quite sure they do not use that word in that genre of music. They tend to stick with the slur or misspellings of that slur therein.

I'm still at a loss as to why oxy ***** is censored though.

Ah... it's the word mo ron that's censored. Now that's RANDOM.

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
I have seen the word "niggardly" injected into a thread specifically for reaction. I guess it worked.

As for m o r o n, well I gather the purpose is to avoid flare ups should one poster refer to another using that term.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shazosbourne View Post
I have seen the word "niggardly" injected into a thread specifically for reaction. I guess it worked.

As for m o r o n, well I gather the purpose is to avoid flare ups should one poster refer to another using that term.
Doesn't stop people from using cretin, idiot, troglodyte, simpleton, blockhead, ignoramus, dunce, dumbbell... and many others.

The only reaction (for the record) I had was about fms randomly pitching that word; it's not censored. The rest... you already know.

Doesn't stop people from using cretin, idiot, troglodyte, simpleton, blockhead, ignoramus, dunce, dumbbell... and many others.

The only reaction (for the record) I had was about fms randomly pitching that word; it's not censored. The rest... you already know.
Technically though, that's the problem with any filters. You're never going to have 100% protection against insults or flames.

And my post should have said "we were correcting".. as the people I mentioned seemed to take that word as the racial slur and not the actual word.

O x y m o r o n, in whole, is probably not specifically set as banned. My thoughts are that, as you said, the second half of the word is banned and the forums are setup to block all words that have the banned words in them, in whole.

Now.. I have to agree that I think the other word isn't really the same. That's just a supposedly controversial word that shares a phonetic similarity to a word with negative connotations, but spelling (and meaning) are completely unrelated. If it was perhaps spelled the same as the other, just add a "d" or something, that might make more sense. But as it is, the one (oxytroglodyte ), is a software failure of over-sensitivity - the other is simply a human ignorance problem of not knowing the word.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
What is my punishment?
No inanity or sarcasm for a week.