Active Topics

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
It sort of drives me nuts with how picky the N9 can be on video playback. It doesn't help that Flash playback is already pretty crummy, so trying to view any video media on here has been a bit of a headache. Whenever I try to download MP4s or FLVs of videos I want to watch, they grab a thumbnail and will play about 10 seconds of the video. Then it stops and says "You can't play these type of files on this device." What's more strange is it plays some MP4s and FLVs just fine(like the one my personal band has posted on our Youtube page and I've downloaded for offline access and everything). Mov videos- Forget about it.I've had friends shoot me videos from the iPhone's camcorder and it doesn't even try playing it. I've tried Open Video Player but it seems essentially tit-for-tat with it the Stock Player. If it plays on one, it plays on the other.

Does anyone have any advice or alternate video players that fix the kind of crummy experience I'm having? I could have swore the codec support was much better than this. I know I had much better luck on my N900, but that was probably partially because of VLC as a backup if the stock one didn't work(which it most did).

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

The Following User Says Thank You to The Arsonist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
mplayer and kmplayer.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Viewing videos is actually much better with the N900 than the N9, in my opinion. However, I read that video playback of the N9 was fine before PR 1.2, unfortunately I don't know how to downgrade the video player (if possible, but I don't htink so). I think that your best option is to install Mplayer and Kmplayer (and VLC, but I did not succeed in installing it since PR 1.3).

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I'm not seeing either app in the Store unfortunately. I tried a search of TMO and I couldn't find any announce threads. I remember these programs from the N900, are they compatible with the N9?

And just to be clear, I don't think this problem started with PR 1.3, I believe it's been this way since I got the phone.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Last edited by The Arsonist; 2012-07-11 at 02:27.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=42
works fine on my pr1.3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
difference between kmplayer & mplayer ??

do i need to install both or just one ?? - if yes, which one ??

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Kmplayer uses Gstreamer or Mplayer to render videos, it's just the GUI. If you install Mplayer, you can select either Gstreamer or Mplayer when using Kmplayer.

Ok getting somewhere! With Gstreamer, some videos are starting to play PERFECTLY(namely the MOV iPhone videos), others are just giving audio and like snapshots of what the video should be. With MPlayer everything players but the video lags WAY WAY behind the audio(music videos and movie clips are way out of sync). Any ideas there?

For those who are behind like me, here's the link to KMPlayer.

Here's the link to a DEB of MPlayer to allow you to select between MPlayer and GStreamer in KMPlayer.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Last edited by The Arsonist; 2012-07-11 at 03:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Arsonist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post
Here's the link to a DEB of MPlayer to allow you to select between MPlayer and GStreamer in KMPlayer.
Please use mplayer_1.0svn20120427-1, which performs better.

The Following User Says Thank You to koos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
I prefer Open Video Player to kmplayer. Only there sometimes is a problem when you close it so it will just turn invisible and prevent you from opening it or playing videos but a simple "killall openvideoplayer" in terminal will fix it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zas For This Useful Post: