Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
...If you do then download ubuntu 8.10 here
Make your USB stick bootable, see here.
Try it, stuck at the 1st step. What is your USB drive letter?

In the tablet, I use diskusage/gpe-FM which tells me /dev/mmcblk0p1. In a regular ubuntu 8.10, how do i see the USB drive letter?

EDIT: I see the name of the pen flash, e.g. CORSAIR, and I can list the content, but I do not know what the drive letter, i.e. sdd1 or sdd2 or sddx?

Edit: Problem solved.
under terminal, type fdisk -l , it list your drives. and it also listed on the initial screen, ..., well, me bad.

TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-11-02 at 05:42.

Follow nhanquy's post, ubuntu 8.10 flash drivve installed successfully.

See hanquy's post for links,
1) dl the ubuntu 8.10 live CD
2) burn the dl .iso image to a CDR, you need a 700 MB CDR, on burning, choose option Data/image burning and point to the dl .iso image.
3) boot up ubuntu from your winPC.
4) Open a terminal window, plug in your flash drive
5) run the chmod command, follow the screen, the bottom of the screen will tell you your drive letter, say /dev/sdb1, you will then enter b for your drive
6) It keeps on clicking and spitted out some error statements too, just leave it alone
7) change your winPC bootup to boot up from USB, on HP computer, I press the esc key right after the HP logo, and choose option Eng and boot/save into USB. Bingo, you now have a linux running system!
8) edit bootup from bootup setting, from now on, winPC will automatically detect flash drive OS and boot to ubuntu automagically

Is it slow? Not at all, it takes a min or so on boot up, but the running is eyeblinking...

I use a 16G flash drive, Corsair, I think anything larger than 2G will be fine.

Thanks, nhanquy.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-11-02 at 18:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Hmm, wouldn't mounting the ext partition from the SD in Linux cause problems (I remember reading something about it writing something onto the SD when unmounting).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm, wouldn't mounting the ext partition from the SD in Linux cause problems (I remember reading something about it writing something onto the SD when unmounting).
No. The system has been running for a day, very stable, very fast. I highly recommend this if you do not yet own a linux box. it is really fun to add a different box to your winPC. Another advantage, if your winPC crash, you can still bootup USB and salvage the files before reformat the HD. I look at it as another security blanket. Another comment, I like the default player on the ubuntu 8.10, it allows manual scanning of a video, much more faster than and elegance than VLC. Surprise.

Just for you Laughing Man, I boot up, reboot, turn on, turn off, several times with the USB, or just the bare winPC, absolutely NO any ill side effect, so far........... 12 plus hrs has been cranking and it is running fine.

The system is running real fine. Not the user though, please help:

1) I accidentally press a different language upon bootup, and it sticks! I reboot it, it sticks with the foreign language. How do I switch the display language back to USA-Eng? and the fonts?

2) I installed on flash and it runs. No password, no log in. However, when I want to switch to different user, it asked for a passwd. How do i re-set a password that I did not initially set? Does pendrivelinux.com installation or ubuntu has some sort of default password?

3) the prompt sign is ubuntu$ubuntu. Whoami returns ubuntu. How does one add user to this acct, say I would like to add bun and from now on, sign in with bun rather than ubuntu.

Edit: it asks for a different language upon reboot, but you have to log in with a password, which I do not know what password has been set............. :-(

Edit: I was able to SSH into my tablet, but how does one transfer files, I mean, how to copy files from tablet to my ubuntu box or back and forth. Under winPC, I use winscp. Under ubuntu, scp is not recognized.
TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-11-02 at 19:18.

Many filesystems (like ext2) can get corrupted if there's a power outage or the drive is removed suddenly, etc. Other filesystems, like ext3, are more robust.

Last edited by ace; 2008-11-02 at 18:00. Reason: clarified

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ace View Post
Many filesystems (like ext2) can get corrupted if there's a power outage or the drive is removed suddenly, etc. Other filesystems, like ext3, are more robust.
Well, can I ask a dumb question? How can I tell what filesystems the pendrivelinux.com .sh script is using? And, if it is an ext2, how to move to ext3? partimage?

TIA,

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Well, can I ask a dumb question? How can I tell what filesystems the pendrivelinux.com .sh script is using? And, if it is an ext2, how to move to ext3? partimage?

TIA,

bun
Try "mount" to reveal mounted filesystems and types. "tune2fs" can convert a ext2 filesystem to ext3.

By default, ext3 doesn't protect the contents of files against corruption in the event of a power outage, etc. But the filesystem itself is protected. That tradeoff is for performance.

Some people also prefer ext2 for flash media, because it's faster and involves fewer writes, which will eventually wear out the drive (emphasis on eventual). Personally, I prefer the more robust ext3 or the more compatible FAT.

Nah, I'm not asking about Linux on PCs. I already run Interprid Inex (Ubuntu 8.10) on my laptop and desktop. I'm just wondering what are the rammifications from plugging my n800 into my computers and having Ubuntu automount all partitions from it.

Cause I remember reading on here when dual boot was first being done that it wasn't advisied since it might override something when Ubuntu is unmounting the ext2/3 partition on the SD.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

...Cause I remember reading on here when dual boot was first being done that it wasn't advisied since it might override something when Ubuntu is unmounting the ext2/3 partition on the SD.
I can't think of a reason to be paranoid about automount in that situation, but there are smarter people out there

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:
@ace or somebody please help, I am still stuck with an unknown password.

TIA,

========================
The system is running real fine. Not the user though, please help:

1) I accidentally press a different language upon bootup, and it sticks! I reboot it, it sticks with the foreign language. How do I switch the display language back to USA-Eng? and the fonts?

2) I installed on flash and it runs. No password, no log in. However, when I want to switch to different user, it asked for a passwd. How do i re-set a password that I did not initially set? Does pendrivelinux.com installation or ubuntu has some sort of default password?

3) the prompt sign is ubuntu$ubuntu. Whoami returns ubuntu. How does one add user to this acct, say I would like to add bun and from now on, sign in with bun rather than ubuntu.

Edit: it asks for a different language upon reboot, but you have to log in with a password, which I do not know what password has been set............. :-(

Edit: I was able to SSH into my tablet, but how does one transfer files, I mean, how to copy files from tablet to my ubuntu box or back and forth. Under winPC, I use winscp. Under ubuntu, scp is not recognized.
===================================

bun