Notices

Is there a way to detect if this driver is currently loaded?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Not paying for a service is different from stealing a physical object, and both are different from copying a number.
Ok, so people are not paying for the service of this person creating the driver when "copying a number". A driver is not a number. A piece of software is not a number.

Software doesn't just magically come into being. It takes effort and work to craft in just the right way. If it were just a number, you'd never need to hire programmers for anything. Just make a little program that makes files full of random numbers until eventually one runs and is Word, or Windows, or Linux. That's not how it works, because it's not just a number.

I'm curious, what exactly do you do for a living? Perhaps if I knew that I could explain this in a way you can understand.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Who didn't pay for a service were the Neopwn people.

If you think a program isn't a number, you are really clueless to how computers work. When a program is stored on a computer hard disk, it is done using a binary pattern, basicly a sequence of digits in base 2, which is one way to represent numbers. And you could make a program that creates all possible files that could be created simply by counting up from zero and increasing the file size each time the digits became all 1, but there are two obstacles, you would need an absurd amount of storage to fit all possible combinations under a whatever size limit you pick and a huge amount of time to test all the numbers to find the ones that do work as a program instead of being gibberish, and within those the ones that do do somthing usefull.

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-02-09 at 18:25.

Sorry, that was a completely and utterly useless post. He was indicating that behind the INTANGIBLE, is real effort, time and money put into the creation.

You tried to get all technical (failing at that also) and it blew up in your face.

You also clearly don't know the back story to the entire situation - it doesn't matter any more either, so give it a rest.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RedMatterInc View Post
As long as it can inject packets (which is seems to do just fine), fragmentation should work without any trouble. What's strange is the interface just disappears. I checked dmesg and found this:
Code:
[59042.341522] wlan0: deauthenticating from ccea3cb2 by local choice (reason=3)
[59042.410888] wl1251: down
[59042.412506] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[59042.739379] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
[59042.739746] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.7)
[59052.232299] wl1251: down
[59053.098724] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
[59053.099090] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.7)
[59053.326629] wl1251: down
[59054.247161] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
[59054.247558] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.7)
[59054.349517] wl1251: down
So it mentions cfg80211, but I'm not sure how that factors into things. What can I do to look into this further? I have no problem digging into the code if I'm given some pointers on which files to look at, how to get a stacktrace and how I can compile/test my changes. I really wish gdb was in the repositories :-(

Seems that the driver is not stable. In the monitor mode, it captures for some time and then the interface wlan0 may disappear. ifconfig can make the interface up again. However, the interface drop is really annoying. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Just because a material is abundant doesn't mean that the value of labor is lessened. Just because there are a lot of trees around doesn't mean tables or chairs are free. You need a logger to chop down the trees, a mill to plane the wood, and a carpenter to build the objects. Owning a small forest doesn't entitle you to free wooden objects of an equal volume of wood, just as having lots of ones and zeros doesn't entitle you to get all the programs for free. You still have to pay for the labor involved in crafting that wood (or those ones and zeros) into something useful.

If you think a program isn't a number, you are really clueless to how computers work.
If you think a program is just a number, then it's you who are clueless as to how computers work. I hold two degrees, one in computer programming and another in computer engineering. I create devices like the N900 (albeit significantly less complex) for a living. Based on that, I think I may have just a wee bit of knowledge about how computers work and what a program is. What are your credentials to claim otherwise?

Programming takes work and effort. If it could be done randomly, it would be. The fact that it can't be done that way is proof that it's not just a number. If your "number" theory were right, one could just take "a number" off of a Windows computer and put it on a Mac, or an N900 and it would work just the same. It's not. And the fact that you can't get that concept lends to why you can't get the conceptual difference between labor and material.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Numbers are numbers, there is work involved in doing math, there is work involved in finding numbers with rarer properties etc, but numbers remain being just numbers, no one can own a number.

The same way no one can own the number two, no one can own any other number.

If you owned a chair and table making machine, had the energy required, and owned the wood required, i can't see how it would be wrong to make yourself some chairs and tables if you felt like it.

If someone painted the house next door blue, then you got yourself some paintcans, paintbrushes etc and painted your own house blue, you wouldn't be stealing money from the wallet (or bank account) of the painter that did the job for your neighbours, even if your neighbours left the town without paying the painter.

I do recognize that donating to who made the drivers would be a nice thing to do, but people in general (the ones without a contract to pay for the work) are in no obligation of paying anything.

Numbers are numbers, there is work involved in doing math, there is work involved in finding numbers with rarer properties etc, but numbers remain being just numbers, no one can own a number.
Finally someone who makes some sense. Tiago, I raise my glass to your insight.

Now, on another matter, money is also just a number. In a bank account. Which I agree, no one can own.

As such could you pm me your internet banking login details so I can do with that number as I please?

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yeah, and molecules are consisting of atoms. I am breathing free atoms right now, so I don't see why I can't have your car. After all, atoms are free.

See how flawed this is? Now stop with the bollocks, please.

Also, if you go with a scanner to a book store and copy a whole book that is copyright infringement not falling under fair use. Copyright infringement is not theft, and is a civil dispute. Completely different law. So don't equate it either, please.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
[...]

Yes FOSS is great stuff and I am an advocate of it - but it is not the end all and be all. For instance, how many blockbuster FOSS popular games are there ? By blockbuster I mean games on the level of COD. Yes there is stuff like Urban Terror - but nothing polished to the level of its commercial equivalents. People have to eat in the end and expecting people to work for free for your benefit is just BS.[...]
Oh, there have beeon some FOSS games. Theres quite some game engines/clients which are FOSS, but the artwork not, such as Quake 3.

There are some games which use LUA to allow you to modify the game really well, and MUDs were also modifiable.

PS: While the tarball can be found via Google its unwise to simply use such. It is legal to distribute the source code here, or anywhere else, and even build a binary based on this source code.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2011-02-16 at 09:30.

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Finally someone who makes some sense. Tiago, I raise my glass to your insight.

Now, on another matter, money is also just a number. In a bank account. Which I agree, no one can own.

As such could you pm me your internet banking login details so I can do with that number as I please?

Thanks.

No, money is not a number, just because i know the number one thousand it doesn't mean i have one thousand Dollars. If i have one hundred Dollars i own one hundred Dollars but not the number one hundred, anyone can write the number one hundred, or accumulate one hundred of somthing; and if you also got one hundred Dollars i still got my own one hundred Dollars.

Regarding my bank passwords, it wouldn't be illegal for anyone to write down or type a number that can represent them, but using them to access my bank account without my authorization is a whole different matter.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yeah, and molecules are consisting of atoms. I am breathing free atoms right now, so I don't see why I can't have your car. After all, atoms are free.

See how flawed this is? Now stop with the bollocks, please.
If you can copy my car without making me not have it anymore, i don't see the problem. The thing with numbers is they exist for everyone, they are kinda like directions, no one can own the direction up, or left etc. If you copy atoms and their arrangements, you're not stealing an object, you're copying it, it is only stealing if you take the original.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
PS: While the tarball can be found via Google its unwise to simply use such. It is legal to distribute the source code here, or anywhere else, and even build a binary based on this source code.
Isn't it GPL'd? Unless i'm mistaken, with it being GPL'd, anyone that receives a copy is free to distribute it as long as they also respect the terms; are you saying the GPL is invalid?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-02-16 at 19:44.

Tags
driver, injection, wl1251