Notices

Hello, i wanted to know what software and what languages can I use to make MAEMO games? I have a team of friends, and we could try to make something

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by tdesws View Post
Hello, i wanted to know what software and what languages can I use to make MAEMO games? I have a team of friends, and we could try to make something
Hiya, this post probably should be in the development area - to ask the dev's

With my minimal knowledge i'd say
C++, Python or QT? - but i'm sure there are many types of the above languages!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
You left out C and GTK

and by the way, i forgot to ask maybe it's possible to convert *.exe standalone games to maemo playble files?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
and by the way, i forgot to ask maybe it's possible to convert *.exe standalone games to maemo playble files?
*.exe refers usually to windows binary so the short answer is no.

Long answer is that it's possible at least in theory. You need to get wine running on maemo 5 and get the windows game sources and recompile them as winelib. Recompilation is needed because wine does not emulate processors. In practice that's not easy to do so again the answer is no I'd be more than happy to see someone prove me wrong.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Its not just hard. Getting Wine to run on Maemo is impossible. Remember - WINE Is Not an Emulator.

maybe it's possible like to find game made in... for example game maker, get it's source code, and rewrite it to other lanuage or something?

Nothing makes me rage more than people who use smiley faces AND give out incorrect information. WINE will not run on ARM processors.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
It could, though. It would take an awful lot of work, but might actually work pretty well. At that point it would become an emulator of sorts, but all of the windows API calls would execute as native, so it might actually be pretty fast.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, but it would be a fascinating thing to see working.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brisbane, Australia
Hi tdesws,
Sounds like a fun project! The first thing you need to know about making a game for the n900/maemo, is that it's different to your normal PC in a couple notable ways:

1. It's based on Linux, rather than Windows. Which means you'll want to lean towards Linux-style development. This also means you have a very powerful system, and have a lot of choice.

2. It's based on ARM rather than x86. This is talking about the sort of instructions the CPU uses. When making your own program from source, it's very likely going to be abstracted to the point that you don't even notice! However, it will be an issue if you try "move" a program from your PC to your N900 without recompiling it.

But the big thing is, that it's a very powerful environment that lets you do things your way. So if you're familiar with something like C or Python or C++ -- I'd recommend to just stick with that, and focus on your game!

Depending on your skills / ambitions -- I'd highly recommend having a look at Qt (and awesome toolkit written in C++). You can develop your game on what ever system you're using, and then later easily port it to your phone, or even another desktop operating system!

Good luck! The key is going to be persistance and taking small steps. Just do one small thing at a time even if you're not sure what you're going to do down the line, and if you have enough persistance you'll learn a lot and have something great.

The Following User Says Thank You to espringe For This Useful Post: