Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Contact them on twitter? If they served this package, pretty sure they will bring it back. Doubt they would want to anger any supporters by relying on 'order second tablet+phone and then return the first order within 14 days' or some such
As long as Jolla does not offer to order single phone with reduced price for tablet-only backers this is what I propose to do.

So everybody who already backed a tablet and now wants also a Jolla phone just order the bundle and resend the tablet-only package (just deny when delivered).
So you will receive your money back. And have the tablet and phone to reduced price.

I really hope they read understand learn react.
But I really do not think so

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
The poll says nothing about exFAT. Here is the poll...

https://together.jolla.com/question/...-jolla-tablet/

It's asking which open source filesystems should be supported. I took it as read that exfat was mandatory and the alternative filesystems were for the Linux fundamentalists.
Nope, read the 1st answer, which is best voted (with 141 votes) :
Given that the legal status is as described in update 4 of this request, I suggest the following:

Support SDHC (up to 32GB, no exFAT licensing). With a user installable package, support:

>32 GB formatted with btrfs, and optional LUKS encryption.
If possible, paid-for exFAT license package to support SDXC
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
With 128GB card in Jolla Tablet specs, you will have the right to complain if a 128GB microSDXC card can't be used (if formated to something other than exFAT, like EXT4 or BTRFS).
Will I be able to complain if my microSDXC-Card doesn't work in the Jolla tablet as advertised by the manufacturer of the card? In terms of speed and lifetime?

Cards come pre-formated in a way that best matches the physical layout of the card memory. If you either re-format (or worse: re-partition) the card, you need to know all the necessary parameters. Else the allocation blocks of the file system will cross the boundaries of the cards' physical blocks, resulting in lower speed and reduced lifetime because of unnecessary read-/write cycles. It's quite tricky to find out the physical parameters of a given card, much of this is guesswork.

Now if the tablet includes a one-size-fits-all unisex card formating tool, chances are that the card you bought because SanDisk claimed it'd reach 48MB/s is in fact much slower once re-formated to ext4 in the tablet. Where do you get support now? Jolla? SanDisk? The SD Association? Wo will make your card reach 48MB/s again? Who will take it back and return the money?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Nope, read the 1st answer, which is best voted (with 141 votes) :
That is an answer but it is not what the poll asked. It doesn't propose another open source filesystem. It suggests excluding exFAT which @Stskeeps even said was not something the poll was about.

Here's what Jolla asked...

Dear Jolla Community,

As announced in this post, here is an official poll where you can vote and above all contribute by proposing better Open Source File System(s) support on the Jolla Tablet.

As an example, an encrypted microSD card (LUKS) is a possible option.

We really want to drive this with your immensely valuable input, and work together to implement the solutions you want and need.

So please, have your say, discuss and vote on what really matters to you, the Community!

Thank you <3

Jolla Tablet Team

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Using free software means you sometimes need to make sacrifices.

Free software, open standards, etc, are about morality. Any possible technical superiorities (or inferiorities, if it's not working well yet) are secondary.

It is absolutely disgusting that people (here, of all places!) actually advocate to subjugate users to proprietary malware. The way forward is NOT by supporting oppressors.

(Again, what I'm saying has nothing to do with whatever reason Jolla found for changing direction, monetary or whatever, this is not a defense for them but an attack on you [plural].)
I agree 100%. That's why I changed over 10 years ago from Windows to GNU/Linux. That's why my music is stored as OGG Vorbis instead of MP3 or other MPEG formats, my chat accounts are XMPP rather than WhatsApp and stuff, my mail accounts use IMAP instead of MS Exchange and my office documents are OpenDocument instead of MS something.

This works perfectly as long as my social life is restricted to the bubble between the chair and the keyboard.

I do know people outside this bubble, though. The send me music files (MP3, AAC), Powerpoint presentations and want to contact me on the messaging network they use. I have to make choices between my nerdy moral standards and the real world. I chose I want to be at least able to listen to MP3, but never will encode audio to this format. I chose I want to be able to read files from MS Office applications, but will not save to this format. I chose I will not encourage the use of proprietary and closed chat services by taking part at all, nor will I use ActiveSync servers. It's my decision.

(On mobile devices including the Jolla phone, the situation is even more dramatic because of the industry standards around 3G and friends.)

What I do not understand when you, nthn, and others oppose the use of exFAT so radically:
Where's your crusade against MP3 support on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against ActiveSync support on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against patented and closed phone technology on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against commercial video codecs on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against facebook support support on the Jolla phone?
...?

With exFAT support, you could at least easily choose not to use it. The video recordings on your Jolla phone though are always saved as MP4, not as an open alternative. No choice here. I really wonder why I never heard such drama about these issues but everyone suddenly identifies exFAT as the only threat to freedom in the Sailfish ecosystem. That's hypocrisy.

Last edited by benny1967; 2015-01-31 at 10:35.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
Give users choice to install proprietary stuff if they want it and make it easy as possible.
An official exFAT package by Jolla, supported by Jolla and available in the official Jolla store would be as good for me as pre-installed exFAT. No difference. (It'd be like a lot of the Jolla core apps today that aren't pre-installed.) You insert a µSDXC card and the system prompts you to either re-format it or install exFAT from the store. No problem as long as Jolla keeps its promise to support SD-cards above 32GB.

I'm not sure if MS licensing policies allow "exFAT on demand", though.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What I do not understand when you, nthn, and others oppose the use of exFAT so radically:
Where's your crusade against MP3 support on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against ActiveSync support on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against patented and closed phone technology on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against commercial video codecs on the Jolla phone?
Where's your crusade against facebook support support on the Jolla phone?
...?

That's hypocrisy.
Yes it is but at least an easily understandable one. All those things above are already on the damn phone! There is a - minute, I agree, but still - a difference between shouting, "do not add X!" and, "take X out!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
An official exFAT package by Jolla, supported by Jolla and available in the official Jolla store would be as good for me as pre-installed exFAT. No difference. (It'd be like a lot of the Jolla core apps today that aren't pre-installed.) You insert a µSDXC card and the system prompts you to either re-format it or install exFAT from the store. No problem as long as Jolla keeps its promise to support SD-cards above 32GB.

I'm not sure if MS licensing policies allow "exFAT on demand", though.
Agreed. I would be just as happy if said "app" had a price tag attached. But that might upset Microsoft even more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Agreed. I would be just as happy if said "app" had a price tag attached.
Yes, a paid app would be fine - as long as accessing the card doesn't tigger in-app-payment for each file ...

I'd even prefer a paid app over a free one because it would mean the store finally supports paid apps at all.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
An official exFAT package by Jolla, supported by Jolla and available in the official Jolla store would be as good for me as pre-installed exFAT. No difference. (It'd be like a lot of the Jolla core apps today that aren't pre-installed.) You insert a µSDXC card and the system prompts you to either re-format it or install exFAT from the store. No problem as long as Jolla keeps its promise to support SD-cards above 32GB..
+1 - that would ne freedom of choise

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet