Notices

Since few days, when the N900 connects the Gtalk account, there's only IM button available.

1. I can't dial with the Gtalk in phone app
2. People can't start any video chat
3. My google contacts have only the IM button. The 2 others have vanished (even on those who use a N900)

Finally, I thougt about a restriction with my 3G provider, but it's not this (same behaviour with wifi and usb networking). So it should be a google protocol evolution (???)

Is there somethnig known about this issue ? Is PR 1.3 gonna be miraculous with that ?

B.R.
TNZ

It depends on the version of gtalk the other user is on. The n900 gtalk is fine

For example I can gtalk video chat all my friends who use windows/linux with firefox or chrome. Or if they use the official gtalk client.

Doesnt seem to work for IE on windows or safari on mac. For those contacts I just see the IM option. No voice call or video call...

Hi,

What you describe is what I had before my post.

Even Firefox/Windows or other N900 can not be used for sound call and video call since few days.
When I connect, Gtalk acts as if there were no Cam and no Mic. I'm not the only one in this case. My office neighbour has the same problem with his N900. It's not an account problem because he's got his own account.

In Phone App, you should have the Gtalk in the call kind list (with cellular, SIP and Skype) ... and i don't see it. I'm not able to dial with gtalk. With Skype and my SIP (of my internet provider) I can.

Last edited by tnz; 2010-09-15 at 10:08.

I can confirm that with the introduction of PR1.2 only skype works. before that i was able to voice/video chat using msn, gtalk.
there is only one exception, i am still able to use video/voice from gmail chat option. i am wondering if this feature has been deleberately removed in PR1.2 as only skype is working now.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Can you fill a bug in bugs.maemo.org ?

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
Same problem here.. they simply vanished!
I'm very positive this is NOT a PR 1.2 issue. I used gtalk calls a few days ago and now it just disappeared.

Any ideas?!

I just had successful Google video chats between my n900 and my n810 over WiFi. Both devices initiated calls.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
@tnz Can you remember which applications you installed lately?
I have the same problem as you and I don't know when it started (but I know it was just a few days ago). If we find some packages that both of us installed in the last few days, we might find some clues.. For example, I installed smscon, blessN900, 3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet, Headpfone Daemon.. Any potential Matches?

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by cpscotti View Post
@tnz Can you remember which applications you installed lately?
I have the same problem as you and I don't know when it started (but I know it was just a few days ago). If we find some packages that both of us installed in the last few days, we might find some clues.. For example, I installed smscon, blessN900, 3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet, Headpfone Daemon.. Any potential Matches?
I tried using Gtalk for the first time this weekend since I've never had any luck with the Skype calling. My buddy and I had a Sprint Evo, my N900, a Nexus One, and a Macbook(there was also a Windows Laptop, but we didn't use it), so as an experiment, we tried to use the video chatting option with Fring or Qik on the Evo and N900. We had no clue with either. He could video call other people with the Evo and either of those apps, but we couldn't get the Evo and N900 to work with one another(we were using both apps proprietary protocols, Fring User-ID and Qik's Username system).

Since we had no luck there, I figured trying Google Chat since I've seen others say Google Talk was a working alternative to Skype. I, too, had no option to voice or video chat with Gmail either. We tried all three options on Wifi and the phones' data network. I can't confirm this any sooner than Saturday night though.

I have 3 of those 4 apps you have listed: blessN900, 3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet, Headphone Daemon. BlessN900 is the most recent install of those three, I've basically had the other 2 since I received the phone.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

@cpscotti and The Arsonist : I don't remember to have installed something during the period when GTalk video calls vanished.

The only thing revelant I noticed is the Linux support for Gtalk video calls. It was 2 or 3 days after that. I tested a video call between Ubuntu and the N900.

I think about a protocol evolution or a disable feature from Google. The Gtalk N900 module acts as if there were no cam and no mic.

I gonna try to post the question to google's guys