Notices

Originally Posted by jsharper View Post
Ok, I did a "apt-get upgrade python2.5-qt4-gui" and it resolved the issue. It took most of my python2.5-qt4 libs from 4.7-maemo7 to 4.7.4-maemo0. Sorry for the noise.

ETA: just wanted to say thanks, fatalsaint, for all the work you've put into this app and its predecessor. I had kinda stopped using pyPianobar due to all the little quirks (as an aside... it took me weeks to realize that what I thought was it intermittently not working was the whole no-audio-in-silent-profile issue. (this was before it was first mentioned in the old thread). my phone is in silent 98% of the time so I didn't even think to check that). I stopped by TMO today to see if there had been any improvements and was thrilled to find pyRadio with its native Pandora communication and using MAFW. I'm looking forward to future 192kbps support for Pandora One subscribers. (altho, I fear T-Mobile's 3G might not be able to keep up with it for my whole commute)
Sweet! I'm glad you got it fixed! I was away from my computer all day so I couldn't quite get back to you timely and I'm sorry for that.

And I really do intend to add the Pandora One quality to the app. My hope is that if I can support people into buying into Pandora.. they will be less inclined to track me down and shoot my kittens... (well, dogs.) That is also why Pandora One is listed along side me in the Donate button .

Which brings me to, judging by your nick I think your the one that just donated with a bug report attached?

First off: THANK YOU
Second off: That has got to be the best way I've ever received a bug report, ever . Heck.. that makes me want to change my Bugtracker URL to my paypal address .

Seriously though, could you please launch pyRadio from the command line and try the donate buttons and give me the errors? I can not reproduce the problem on either the N900 or the N810.. they both seem to open either right to my Paypal or Pandora One as appropriate. It would be nice to see some output to see if I can fix anything.

Thanks again! I'm glad you're getting some use out of my app. That is, of course, the most important thing .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-08-13 at 06:01.

Ok, I've added Pandora One High Quality (192kbps) support. I've also added a Low Quality AAC support.

It'll be in the Menu under "Quality"... select the one you want, it will persist over restarts of the application, and it'll take effect the song after the current one playing (if there is one).

I am perfecting it now.. will have a pyRadio 2.2 up sometime tonight. I will then be going out of town for about a week so I won't be able to fix anything until I get back (most likely). Hopefully it's good enough to last you guys another week .

If I can make it this week without any serious bug reports I may decide to push this version forward as most bugs I'm aware of should be fixed at this point. (with the exception of not-working donate buttons, as I can't reproduce that..)

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
Hey man, just gotta give you more praise for continuing to make this app great. If anything, Pandora should be paying YOU, not shooting your kittens. You're making up for their lazy asses not hoping on Maemo/Meego. They should already have a damn Linux Dektop app ready anyway. The change to MAFW appears to have changed everything! The CPU runs lower, my battery last long and the phone doesn't warm up as it did before(but that may just because my car engine is near the slot I stash my phone). I did manage to get the "tired" bug that I believe was reported on an older version of the app. I tried to mark one song as tired and when it said "song marked tired," I was unable to get out of the context box. When I pressed done, it continued to skip songa(which I'm going to guess marked those songs Tired as well) and clicking outside of the popup menu did nothing. I'm pretty sure I was in a 5 bar coverage area, but maybe not. I was able to duplicate it at that moment, but I have not done so at home, I'll run it with X Terminal and will let you know if any errors pop up.Thanks again for all your hard work dude!

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

The Following User Says Thank You to The Arsonist For This Useful Post:
Thank you! I'll take a look at the tired code again. I don't mark very many songs as tired .. so I don't really use it enough to trigger the little quirks that may be there. I'll try and look at the logic again and see if I can come up with a way it'll get stuck in a loop.

I'm glad the MAFW is helping out (I have noticed a definite increase in usability in lower signal areas as well).. and again - that is all thanks to pycage for his work with MediaBox. I took his already excellent framework for that and just modified to fit my QT-based app.

Gotta love open source!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Gilbert, AZ, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Seriously though, could you please launch pyRadio from the command line and try the donate buttons and give me the errors? I can not reproduce the problem on either the N900 or the N810.. they both seem to open either right to my Paypal or Pandora One as appropriate. It would be nice to see some output to see if I can fix anything.
I did write more detail on the bug, but it got lost in paypal land so i was lazy when i rewrote it.

Unfortunately, I don't get anything in the console output when I hit the donate buttons. The dialog just closes same as if I hit the close button. I do have Firefox installed, but the builtin browser is my default browser. I've also tried it both with and without the default browser running. Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to complete the paypal process on my phone anyway, so it worked out alright for me. Maybe it is just another something weird with the python install on my particular phone. I just tried this test and it does not work:

Code:
~ $ python
Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, May 17 2010, 21:00:32) 
[GCC 4.2.1] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import webbrowser
>>> webbrowser.open_new('http://www.pandora.com/pandora_one')
False
>>> exit()
While I've got you here, I have a couple of feature requests for your consideration.

While driving, I plug my phone into my car with the a/v cable for audio and video (on the navi display on the dash). When I get out of the car, I want to be able to just unplug the phone and go, without having to unlock it and stop the audio or whatever. I use headphoned (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/headphoned/) and it works great -- when I unplug the cable, it automatically pauses the media player. With pyRadio, it does still appear to "pause" the MAFW subsystem, in that the audio stops and does not come out of the speakers when I unplug the cable. However, pyRadio doesn't seem to notice that this happened and it keeps "playing". It looks like it is getting notified by MAFW, though, so I was wondering if it would be an easy change to make pyRadio go into pause mode when this event happens. This is what i see on the cmdline when I unplug the headphone cable while pyRadio is playing:

Code:
MAFW STATE CHANGED 2
MAFW PROPERTY CHANGED transport-actions seek <type 'str'>
MAFW PROPERTY CHANGED volume 68 <type 'long'>
at that point, pyRadio stays in "play" mode and counts down into negative time. Hitting play/pause in this state puts pyRadio in pause mode, but doesn't output anything to the console (I'm guessing since MAFW is already in state 2 (pause?)). Hitting the play/pause button again puts pyRadio back in playback mode and resumes playing of the song (with the output below), but of course pyRadio is confused about where in the song it is and it eventually seems to just stop working (but that could be unrelated..)

Code:
PLAY
MAFW PLAYBACK 5144992 None <ctypes.LP__GError object at 0x5dff80>
MAFW METADATA CHANGED duration [0]
MAFW METADATA CHANGED is-seekable [False]
MAFW BUFFERING 0.0
MAFW METADATA CHANGED is-seekable [True]
MAFW BUFFERING 0.15000000596
MAFW BUFFERING 0.159999996424
MAFW BUFFERING 1.0
MAFW STATE CHANGED 1
MAFW PROPERTY CHANGED transport-actions seek <type 'str'>
MAFW METADATA CHANGED audio-codec ['MPEG 1 Audio, Layer 3 (MP3)']
MAFW METADATA CHANGED bitrate [128000]

The other request is just to increase the font size of the album/artist/title and time remaining counters, at least in landscape mode. It is hard to see at a glance on the screen, and nearly impossible at NTSC resolution (video out). Even with the small font, it sometimes truncates the artist -- perhaps artist and title could be broken out to separate lines so there are 3 lines (title, artist, album) under the album art? Maybe then the time counters could go between the play/pause/next buttons and the thumbs up/down buttons? I'd love to eventually see a progress slider like in the native media player, complete with a buffering percentage bar display like media player does (using those MAFW BUFFERING messages we seem to get?) , but I realize that probably isn't as easy as it seems.

Please don't think I'm expecting you to consider these changes today or anything -- enjoy your trip and thanks for the new 'quality' option!

BTW, I have also experienced several times the bug where one song ends, it starts playing the next song, and then a few seconds later it cuts off the second song and skips to a third song. I think it may be triggered when PR and MAFW get out of sync when MAFW gets paused or stopped for whatever reason (like from buffer starvation from a bad net connection, or from a phone call that pauses it) but pyRadio thinks the song is still playing.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsharper For This Useful Post:
Thank you for a very detailed post! I think you included everything I need to implement that first option. It actually shouldn't be hard.. if I get a chance before I upload 2.2 tonight after work I'll try and add that one quick.

I have intentionally left out a progress slider.. and actually removed a lot of the "seek", "rewind", "forward" features inside the MAFW wrapper code. I did this because the default Pandora app doesn't allow it.. and I'm not sure if there's a reason for it. Because of the way the radio/licensing for them is they may not like it if people can go back to songs they've previously heard, skip around in tracks, etc.

I am trying to add features missing in the official ones such as the Sleep, the Tired button, Portrait and Landscape, etc.. but I've been trying to keep actual use of the app very similar to the real Pandora applications.

I could just be being overly paranoid on that fact though.

I could add a read-only slider, if you wanted, but I didn't see a reason for that over just the countdown timer, and the countdown timer is a tad more accurate I think.

I'll try increasing the font size again.. it just starts to make the UI look... non-symmetric when I shrink the album graphic to make room for larger text. I'm a horrible graphic/UI designer though so I just move boxes around until it looks somewhat decent.. if someone can draw up an example layout or something it'd be helpful.

Thanks again guys for your support!

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Gilbert, AZ, USA
I did mean just a read-only slider... sorry for the confusion. not a big deal if you'd prefer to keep the actual digits.

And I hear ya on being a designer. I suck at it too, which makes being a web app developer difficult I try to stick to the back-end code in our apps at work and leave the front-end to the guys with design talent.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsharper For This Useful Post:
Thank you so much for implementing Bluetooth headset media button support - just awesome - in 2.1! A small bug at the moment however is the play/pause button only pauses and doesn't toggle using Nokia BH-503. If this can be sorted out imo pyRadio will be just as functional as the "official" client on Android and far cooler being open source.

Wow Pandora One streams, this is really a fantastic job!

The Following User Says Thank You to happymonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by happymonkey View Post
Thank you so much for implementing Bluetooth headset media button support - just awesome - in 2.1! A small bug at the moment however is the play/pause button only pauses and doesn't toggle using Nokia BH-503. If this can be sorted out imo pyRadio will be just as functional as the "official" client on Android and far cooler being open source.

Wow Pandora One streams, this is really a fantastic job!
I did not do this .. lol. Must've been something that came from MAFW support. Good to know .

Pausing in this is going to be the same problem as pausing from the headphoned when you unplug a headset. The problem is pyRadio doesn't really listen or care about anything from MAFW.. just sending stuff to it.. so when 3rd party stuff are manipulating MAFW directly pyRadio just ignores it. I'll be fixing this, hopefully, shortly and have a release for you guys.

Ok, uploaded a new version. Hopefully it'll work with the headsets and the bluetooth play/pause and it has the Pandora One support. I am not sure what'll happen if you select the High Quality option and don't have Pandora One .. someone can try it and get back.

There's a problem tho... it doesn't exist on the N810 (or doesn't appear to) but the countdown timer doesn't work right if you pause and then play again. It goes all screwy and is very annoying.

I will have to work on it a little over the next week and do another upload when I get back.. this should at least (hopefully) hold you guys over for a little while .

Hope you like it!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad tags, good tags, pyradio