Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Close but no cigar. I have been harping about thing for a while... Unlike for desktops and Android, Adobe does not provide a public ARM Flash you can download for any of the platforms it claims support so far. For example, say I want to transplant the N900 Flash to N8x0. Okay, add the N900 repo to the N8x0... except, the Flash is not in the repo, but in the firmware. Aham. Okay, let's download the N900 firmware then and mount/extract it from there. Except due to licensing requirements you can't download that unless you have a N900 (=IMEI). Whoops. So no matter how you look at it, Flash on mobiles is borked in every way, technically, legally, openness and community-wise, you name it.
The other problem going from N900 to N8x0 is I don't think they are binary compatible. C apps required a recompile IIRC.

But short of that.. if any phone comes out with flash with MeeGo.. then libflashplayer.so file should be copyable to any other MeeGo device on that same architecture.

I never said legally.. I just said possible. Hence the "non-free" repository...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I never said legally.. I just said possible. Hence the "non-free" repository...
non-free != illegal (though it certainly would be an interesting prospect )

non-free != illegal (though it certainly would be an interesting prospect )
Well.. ya... know.. applicable to local laws in your state/government/continent .

I mean, isn't it technically "illegal" to watch a DVD you own on Linux?? You have to download the dvd decryption libraries and code and it essentially does a mini "hack" on every DVD in order to watch it.. so all of those items are in the third-party "risky" repositories. (I know there is two sides to this debate, but that is my point..)

So in any case, I just think it's definitely going to be possible to obtain Flash.. it just may come with a warning of "questionable" on whether you should or not with your specific device.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Flash 10.1 could officially be coming to old ARM11 Android phones that are getting the jump to Froyo too. LG Ally seems to be the first one: http://www.phonedog.com/2010/08/06/l...e-android-2-2/

The Following User Says Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
If I'd want to live without flash I would have an iPhone...
Yeah but keep in mind that Apple is pushing HTML 5 on their devices , if I knew that Nokia is going to update Microb with full html 5 support I wouldn't worry but the fact is Nokia is silent

Maybe new version of Fennec will have html 5 support?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by SD. View Post
Flash 10.1 could officially be coming to old ARM11 Android phones that are getting the jump to Froyo too. LG Ally seems to be the first one: http://www.phonedog.com/2010/08/06/l...e-android-2-2/
The article does not say that it's going to have Flash 10.1 (FroYo *supports* but does not *imply* Flash). Adobe has stated Cortex A8 (=ARMv7) as a minimum on their own requirements page, so, call me skeptical

I buy N900 because N900 got a good web browse and I saw a demo video showing N900 play flash video using flash player 10.1 a few months ago.....

I really want refund now......

Where did you see the demo video, perhaps the person that made the video could give you some pointers, no?

The article does not say that it's going to have Flash 10.1 (FroYo *supports* but does not *imply* Flash). Adobe has stated Cortex A8 (=ARMv7) as a minimum on their own requirements page, so, call me skeptical
They can still install it from the Market since there's no CPU checks currently the last time I checked but it won't run at all according to a thread discussing a custom 2.2 firmware for the G1. So the slowest phones running the 10.1 android port successfully will probably always be ARMv7 or above.

Despite the fact FP10.1's requirements are listed as 800mhz ARMv7 minimum for WVGA screens, Verizon's marketing materials for the Droid update have the first key feature being Flash 10.1 support. I don't know if Adobe will take away Flash 10.1 from 550/600mhz ARMv7 phones after this. Considering how many people are using the Droid currently, Verizon and Adobe would be railed against if it were removed at this point.

Last edited by SD.; 2010-08-07 at 20:55.

500 vs 800 Mhz is not an issue, I agree, but ARM11 vs ARMv7 is, especially as most ARMv7 cores were usually accompanied with a completely different set of video features (OpenGL2 ES vs 1, H264 HW codec, etc). So while the Droid is a realistic target, it would be very interesting to see the Ally get an exception, especially since the AFAIK far popular Hero didn’t.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update