Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You don't like your phone. You do like it. Who cares? It's all been said. Many times. On both sides. Repeatedly.
For that reason, I'm not going to argue either way, because that's just stupid; this is the meta-argument, and the meta-argument is The Point. If you want to agree, disagree, or flame me, please don't - and at the very least, read this entire post and think about it for a few minutes first. I won't be reading responses to this thread, and if you still want to respond to this thread after you read it, then you're missing the point entirely, and I definitely don't want to read your response. If you want to hit the "Thanks" button, I will notice that, and know that this post hopefully made a difference.

Anyway, here goes:
To those who post "those threads": There is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing displeasure over the phone you bought, or any other issue. Most of you aren't trolls, but simply frustrated. That's not the issue.
To those who disagree with "those threads", or post "other" threads: That's fine too. Most of you aren't fanboys/girls, but just like the gadget you bought.

To both sides: By definition, both sides disagree on this matter. There, we've established that. Furthermore, if either side likes/dislikes their phone enough to write a post on here that's exclusively about how much they like or dislike it, we can probably assume that that person isn't going to be swayed. If the phone works for you, you'll use it. If the phone doesn't, you won't. If it was perfect for everyone, then everyone would already have one. If it worked for nobody, then this forum wouldn't exist. The fact of the matter is that some people have them, and some people don't. Given that, why the heck do we keep discussing it? Most of these threads aren't even about issues that are possible to agree on, much less things that we all will.
Forums are called that for a reason: they're for constructive discussion, and for people to have a voice. Forums quickly lose their utility when the voices trying to talk about something interesting/useful/constructive are drowned out by people arguing. It doesn't matter how valid your point is - it's unhealthy, because those that want to just discuss can't do so. If you want to write reviews, rant, praise, etc, then there are perfectly good media for you to do that in, such as blogs, IM/chat, etc. I really have no issue if people want to say anything they feel like, but this is a universal issue on forums, and it is detrimental to everyone.
I myself have responded to some of these threads, but I've decided to stop. Even if a poster can reasonably be said to be objectively wrong, it's a waste of my time - and everyone else's - to correct them.
On a personal note, I like being corrected. Or rather, I like being corrected when I'm actually wrong, and the person correcting me is doing it politely for my benefit. I'd rather be told I'm wrong than persist in being wrong. When I was young, I didn't quite realize that virtually everyone else just gets annoyed when you correct them. That led to a lot of people being annoyed at me, and a fair bit of unpleasantness on both sides. People, it seems, like to be right, or, failing that, to think they're right. Some people get defensive when they're told they're wrong, and some people just get angry or rude. None of this should be new to most people.
So then, since choice of a phone, importance of a feature, or annoyance of a bug are all entirely subjective matters (for the most part), why risk annoying or angering people by trying to prove something that isn't provable, or that they don't want proven to them?

The Argument is not the Point, because everyone has a different point to make. This is The Point: everyone that does this (and I'm certainly not innocent) is slowly destroying this community. Discussion of any point of view is perfectly fine - this is the Internet - but there is a proper place for everything, and this isn't the place for some of it. The mods aren't censors, and you have a right to your say, even if it makes someone else mad, but please, take contentious issues elsewhere. Heck - if someone wants to create an "n900stinks.org"/"n900rocks.org" forum, I'm all in favour of it, but I come here because I want to be part of a community. Community fails when the members spend all of their time bickering with each other. If you are writing a post that has the smallest chance of being inflammatory, think twice before hitting "Submit". If you are reading such a post, don't. Each side tells the other side to shut up, and that just leads to another argument. So I'm telling everyone as politely as I can: every time you post to one of these threads on either side of the argument, and bump it to the top of the list, that's one more reason for everyone that cares about this community to just leave. I like the maemo.org community, and I don't want to see it destroyed.

To the Forum Staff:
As I said, I won't be reading this thread again. For that reason, I hereby authorize any moderator or administrator of this forum to remove everything but this paragraph from this post at any time if, in their judgement, this thread becomes counter-productive to the spirit of Community on this website. I don't want to be part of the problem, and if I am by writing this, then I don't want you to read it.

Best wishes to you all,

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
... tl;dr

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
Did you type all that by your self??

Awesome

Its time to stop posting!!!!!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1646/stopposting.jpg

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
When I was young
Yup, because you're so old, eh grandpa?

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
I hereby authorize any moderator or administrator of this forum to remove everything but this paragraph from this post at any time
Oh, right, I hadn't realised we needed the author's approval before being allowed to moderate.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
jaem means well... better than some.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Maybe .. but he has to realize how utterly pointless this was....
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
True. His post is quite interesting in more than one way. Might I suggest we move this to Community?

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Cool story bro

Tags
community, moderate in moderation, nokia apologizer, plea, public letter