Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
No need for Jolla to install SIM toolkits (or other app, what's in a name..) each time I buy a local 3G SIM to be able to surf with the Jolla while abroad.
I think there is some confusion going on here. SIM toolkit is not something that gets installed on your phone on demand. It is already there. If you insert a SIM card with toolkit options, these are presented to you.

More on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_Application_Toolkit

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Having had a bit more time to think about it, veeall's point was maybe that the possibility of paid apps might attract more professional developers, which in turn would attract more customers. While I am not sure this is the case - I think cause and effect are reversed in this scenario...
Yes, sometimes i fail to explain a simple idea in my basic english. I think it's vice versa, jolla already sells devices, that means there are already market demand for apps, which should attract devs to to extend/enhance devices functionality by apps if there's paid apps support in official marketplace, which could make platform still more attractive for new phone buyers, which should increase the software market and making platform even more attractive for devs.

I feel like being Mr. Obvious.

The Following User Says Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
Maybe someone more wants to share with me battery life of Jolla phone ?
3-4 days of light/medium use (GPS off, 3G on, WiFi some hours each day, some emails and phone calls) without Android running softwares, or about 1 day with Android softwares.

Kill Android support as soon as you stop using Android softwares, via installing "Sailfish Utilities" (Settings->Utilities->Stop Android runtime) or "Dalvik stop".
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-05 at 00:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Kill Android support as soon as you stop using Android softwares, via installing "Sailfish Utilities" (Settings->Utilities->Stop Android runtime) or "Dalvik stop".
Then aliendalvik starts again 'on demand' the next time an Android app is launched, right? (and probably the price to pay is a little slower app startup)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Then aliendalvik starts again 'on demand' the next time an Android app is launched, right? (and probably the price to pay is a little slower app startup)
Right.

10 chars...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Yes. Another advantage to kill Android runtime is to save approx. 150MB of RAM.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
After last update if I try start something from terminal as root, it say this message:

"[root@Jolla nemo]# - harbour-file-browser
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
[C] unknown:0 - Failed to create display (No such file or directory)"

Anyway to "fix"?

The Following User Says Thank You to millerii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
So after playing a few day with the Jolla ...

general:
UI:
different, stylish, promising
hardware:
fast enough, should not be any bigger, like the two halfs, camera is as worse as on all Blackberrys

for the 1.x - good enough, not complete consistent, needs more ability for custumaziation (lockscreen, events, ...) - many good ideas and (thanks god) not another clone of iOS or android - there should definitely be an option to open notifications from the lockscreen (like in meego) an the ability to show rss- and calendar-feeds (and wheather and ...) on lock- and/or events screen (also like in meego)

Stock-Apps:
sorry folks, that's not enough - the email client needs a thread-view and better handling of attachments (I want to decide where to save them ...) - the calendar is too basic (and desperately needs an open api - other apps must be able to save appointments - fahrplan for example) - and the browser needs a complete overhaul in usability (to many clicks to open a new tab, ...) - on the other side the rendering is really good and fast

AppStore:
Well, for such a small user base the majors won't develop apps, but if Jolla would allow paid apps, the would be for sure more dev willing to code some alternatives (it worked for meego and even for BB)

Android:
wow, I'm using different OS with Android runtimes for a while now (apkenv on N9 and N900, BB10) and must say, that's the best one ever! The Question is, if that is blessing or curse - even the Jolla people tell their costumers to relay on android apps to compensate the lack of sailfish software (or even the shortcomings of the stock apps) - so let's see if there will be left more of this great idea than another android launcher ...

conclusion: yes, I like it. It's a great and customizable time-waster ;-) I had much fun playing with it, but I'm not sure if it could be one of my daily drivers - for my business device (now BB Z10) I need a good email-handling, and a top calendar - for my private device the opportunities are the camera, the browser and news-feeds (which are better on my Lumia 620 - except of the news feeds- and the N9 - except of the browser )

So I think, I'll keep it for some time and the future will show ;-)

If anyone is interested in buying a N9 (16 GB cyan perfect shape) a Lumia 620 (two backcovers, good shape), a BB Z10 (good shape - a small scratch on the housing) or a Jolla (like new with a white and a aloe TOH but without charger and cable - lost both two days ago with my satchel :-( ) all located in GER - drop me a private message - if the price is ok it could simplify my decision ;-) ...

good night

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Is it just me, or is WiFi draining the battery incredibly quickly, especially compared to 3G?

My Jolla battery drains 20-30% each day (depending how many times I read emails, SMS, etc), with WiFi on everytime, 3G SIM card (but not using 3G Internet), Bluetooth off, GPS off, Android runtime off.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience