Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
On topic: The only thing that makes the N900 more of a mobile computer is the OS IMHO. Technically Android and the iPhone 4 (has to be 4, no one will ever convince me a phone that can't multi-task is a mobile computer..) could be considered one but their OS just screams "mobile phone" as that is completely what they are designed around.. the phone. Plus.. an entire Java-based desktop OS is just... an ugly thought. The N900's OS is more closely related to Desktop and Laptop OS's already established on the market. The multi-tasking sub-system isn't hampered, altered, or screwed with any way to try and "optimize" the "phone" experience by automatically picking random targets and killing them, or closing them into 'save states' to save on memory.

Some may think the latter is a good thing for a phone, I don't necessarily disagree, but it would be horrible on a mobile computer.
*shrugs*

This is very vague territory. One can argue that all programmable+pocketable devices are 'mobile computers' and that 'smartphones' are just a a segment created by those marketing heads. Having artificially created restrictions (android, ios) don't make them less of a computer to me, since they may even have a leg up in terms of other features and capabilities (usb connectivity, bluetooth device compatibilities, whatnot).

Though I agree that multitasking is important, I don't think it defines what 'computers' are either. Moreover, I think it's borderline right-wing talk, when you prefer something just because it's the known and familiar standard/implementation. Yes, I can see that the -current- multitasking implementations on iOS and Android are incomplete, just like the rest of their features-set are compared to their desktop brethren; but those are obviously work in progress and they may even one day overtake the 'personal computing' space when they reach feature-parity with what we currently know as 'computers'.

Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
Almost. The Keyboard is another point. The rest of the HW has about the same functionality as most Android Phones.
Um yeah, try again.. there are a lot of bigger slate devices without keyboard that are much more 'computer-like' than the n900.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-10-08 at 15:20.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
And just to add more fuel to the fire

here is a shot into the dark

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_754274.html
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

I said, none of the above... ... "Its a called me what you want" device

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Though I agree that multitasking is important, I don't think it defines what 'computers' are either. Moreover, I think it's borderline right-wing talk, when you prefer something just because it's the known and familiar standard/implementation. Yes, I can see that the -current- multitasking implementations on iOS and Android are incomplete, just like the rest of their features-set are compared to their desktop brethren; but those are obviously work in progress and they may even one day overtake the 'personal computing' space when they reach feature-parity with what we currently know as 'computers'.
The known standard/implementation is what makes an item what it is. It's the burden on whatever is "new" to overcome the standard to be "new" item.

As you said.. maybe someday Android/iOS will redefine what computing means... currently it has not.

Therefore, currently, the N900 more fits the description of a mobile computer than any other (phone) device until such time as Android, iOS or Chrome OS, or whatever - can take over the desktop computing market share with some new innovative way to work with desktops/non-touch screen devices.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@fatalsaint: with all this software traditionalism prevalent in the arguments, please answer me this:

If I manage to install DOS on my quad core notebook (effectively taking away modern interface and multitasking ability), does it stop being a computer?

The known standard/implementation is what makes an item what it is.
Yes.

Therefore, currently, the N900 more fits the description of a mobile computer than any other (phone) device until such time as Android, iOS or Chrome OS, or whatever - can take over the desktop computing market share with some new innovative way to work with desktops/non-touch screen devices.
I wonder about the description of 'mobile computer' and I personally think the battlefield will shift enough to 'personal (pocketable) computer' that by the time they overtake desktop computers, the 'desktop computers' as we know it wouldn't matter as much.

Lastly, let's remember what brought us here... people are looking for an excuse/justification for its deficiency compared to those devices classed as 'smartphones', thus the argument of 'more like mobile computers'
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

It's a mobile phone computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Lastly, let's remember what brought us here... people are looking for an excuse/justification for its deficiency compared to those devices classed as 'smartphones', thus the argument of 'more like mobile computers'
Justification is like masturbation - you're only screwing yourself.

I personally don't buy into the excuses that it does or doesn't do X because of Y or Z. I don't care.

The "phone" on it works fine for me.

The "computer" on it works fine for me.

The N900 works fine for me. And it works more consistently with multi-tasking than Android ever did for me.

Thus.. it is the right device for me... mobile computer, phone, smartphone, or any other name. It just is what it is and it works for me.

Anything that can be done on the N900 can be on done Android if someone were to write it. Same for vice-versa. As long as the hardware is there, the application can be made.

Whether or not one is more of a mobile computer or not, to me, implies that it operates more consistently with how you expect a computer to operate. Currently the N900 operates exactly like I expect my Desktop to operate... Android does not. Therefore, IMHO, the N900 is more of a "computer" than Android. In the sense that Linux means GNU/Linux, by "computer" I'm not talking about the static "computer" definition of "performing calculations automatically".. technically we could call a "calculator" a "computer" - I'm using "computer" in the generic vernacular that one would link to a Personal Computer, Desktop or Laptop.

And no.. in today's day and age... "DOS" isn't really a Personal Computer OS anymore. It's a dinosaur, archaic and outdated. In it's time it was awesome, and was a computer then - but as I described above: The new stuff came in and took over and that is now a "computer".. DOS is just junk.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
If it makes calls its a phone . . . people are so ungratefull of technology . . .

Justification is like masturbation - you're only screwing yourself.

I personally don't buy into the excuses that it does or doesn't do X because of Y or Z. I don't care.

The "phone" on it works fine for me.

The "computer" on it works fine for me.

The N900 works fine for me. And it works more consistently with multi-tasking than Android ever did for me.

Thus.. it is the right device for me... mobile computer, phone, smartphone, or any other name. It just is what it is and it works for me.

Anything that can be done on the N900 can be on done Android if someone were to write it. Same for vice-versa. As long as the hardware is there, the application can be made.

Whether or not one is more of a mobile computer or not, to me, implies that it operates more consistently with how you expect a computer to operate. Currently the N900 operates exactly like I expect my Desktop to operate... Android does not. Therefore, IMHO, the N900 is more of a "computer" than Android. In the sense that Linux means GNU/Linux, by "computer" I'm not talking about the static "computer" definition of "performing calculations automatically".. technically we could call a "calculator" a "computer" - I'm using "computer" in the generic vernacular that one would link to a Personal Computer, Desktop or Laptop.
Couldn't have put it better myself, cheers!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to porselinaheart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
It's a phone! I plugged in my Sim card and have been using the phone + sms for almost 3 months already

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!