Closed Thread
Since the people developing these updates seem to be regularly making magic, I've got two questions:
Would it be possible to change the direction long-touch menus open from the point of touch?
Also, how about moving the status bar from the top to the bottom?

Having options for both would really improve the touch-friendliness of the UI, which seems to be suffering from some decisions made with the stylus in mind.

Specifically, menus in maemo 5 prefer to open downwards from the top, or down and to the right. That means you've got to move your thumb to actually see the menu, and in many apps lifting your thumb off the screen leads to the menu closing.
The statusbar location is not bad, really, but with the keyboard open, being able to switch apps and browse menus could be easier with the bar on the bottom of the screen.

Maybe not everyone would need it, but more options is always better, no?

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Well ****,
Apparently the commit khertan reversed didn't fix the bug :/, earlier post deleted. BUT the issue is isolated to raster.
(Run any app with -graphicssystem native and you'll see the bug gone)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Well ****,
Apparently the commit khertan reversed didn't fix the bug :/, earlier post deleted. BUT the issue is isolated to raster.
(Run any app with -graphicssystem native and you'll see the bug gone)
Sad to hear that delay. I thought i was actually successfull at testing Metro app.

Enabling WSEGL_UseHWSync is unstable - if you want it on your device, enable it and be done. It will remain through any and all CSSU updates. Stop requesting it as it is NOT fit for all devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Indeed. With HWSync on, my device randomly freezes and requires a hold-power-button exit. Worst part is that every damn time it happens something goes kablooey in the root.

Most times it goes to that nasty "All telephony functions" error and need to be booted with keyboard open, and Kernel-power be re-selected to work again (This is repeatable with 80+%, though the reason or details escape me. Why does the filesystem suffer if the phone was shut down? Why the kernel? Why always that part that is fixed by re-selecting the multiboot option - any multiboot option?)

Every now and they it needs to be reverted via BackupMenu.

The crashes are rare (one a week-ish), and 4 out of 5 it lives again via re-selecting the menu in MultiBoot. That makes one BackupMenu restore every other month or so. Not a comfortable thing, but not a disaster, either.

Makes transitions way smoother. Initially didn't see the difference, but once I figured it was why it crashed, turned it off. Now if feels like it's in safe mode or something. I cannot believe I stand on a HW accelerated device packing 1 GHz of heat and it has less of a punch than my old 200 MHz, software emulated phone.

I'm kind of thinking about it. I'd really like it fixed, but I guess other stuff would be nice, too.

Oh, and it makes portrait apps better, too. Microb is bearable in portrait, helps scrolling portrait lists. I'm REALLY thinking about it.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
FYI, the crashes only happen when radius and radius_more are set to 0, I haven't noticed anything if they're over 0 (but then again, transitions take a bit more time in that case).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
@ndi
My device did not have the problem. I'm using stock kernel and all seems sweet.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
@ndi
My device did not have the problem. I'm using stock kernel and all seems sweet.
Everyone has a different experience with this feature.

Some devices are unstable and some are perfectly fine.

Similar to how some can overclock to 1150Mhz on XLV and be stable. Whereas others can only get to 1000Mhz on Ideal. The weirdness of computers and hardware :P

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
[...]but I can't forget my give-users-choices mantra, and all the related ideas,[...]
Here I was thinking that was chucked out the window with that (rather premature) dependency on camera-ui2...

Originally Posted by ancow View Post
Here I was thinking that was chucked out the window with that (rather premature) dependency on camera-ui2...
But the camera-ui2 isnt a feature..

Its an open source replacement of a closed component meaning that the CSSU can bug fix and also improve on the original problems with the closed camera component.

Also the whole point of the CSSU being in testing phase is that things won't always be stabled.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
but I can't forget my give-users-choices mantra, and all the related ideas, just because I personally like the possible-future-direction option.
Mentalist was talking about options for features.

For example, being able to choose whether you want the default sized task switched or the larger 2 columns or even the single columns mode.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Last edited by godofwar424; 2011-05-01 at 00:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade