Closed Thread
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes, it seems to be fine on both of my post Diablo-SSU N800s.
Very nifty addon, thanks!

More test results with easy debian 0.9-4.

External BT keyboard on my N800: successfully added my own iGo BT Kbd xmodmap (for indoeuropean langiage characters) to your .Xmodmap-keymap file... and indeed is loaded and remains active during a particular LXDE session.

For apps launched from the Hildon Desktop, the Xmodmap mapping needs to be activated by nad to be active for these apps.

If you recall, I had reported that the matchbox keyboard wasn't working for me... this was the matchbox keyboard that is toggled by the menu entry in Extras. I couldn't input characters on an LXDE session using this keyboard. The XVkbd that I had on my system and launched via Hildon menu however did the job fine.

The LXDE Accessories menu has debian versions of these keyboards as well. The matchbox keyboard works fine. The XVkbd keyboard that I prefer unfortunately doesn't work... it generates runs of characters at the slightest touch... hitting on the CAPs key puts the keyboard into a loop alternating between upper and lower case shifting... something is terribly bad with this keyboard in the environment that you have defined. Could you look into this?

-- Denis

I installed easy debian 0.9-4 and powerlaunch with the powerlaunch.conf that i copied in .powerlauch directory but the fullscreenmode doesn't work on my N800... Could you tell me where i am wrong ( menu button "get open office in fullscreen" in previous version didn't work also)

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hello Qole, thanks for the great app! I got it working under the latest diablo release (with update), but powerlaunch causes my alarm and display dimming/blankout to stop working. If I uninstall powerlaunch, everything works. Any solution?

Thank you!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by pton View Post
Hello Qole, thanks for the great app! I got it working under the latest diablo release (with update), but powerlaunch causes my alarm and display dimming/blankout to stop working. If I uninstall powerlaunch, everything works. Any solution?

Thank you!
The solution is to talk to the powerlaunch developer. My alarms stopped working also, and I couldn't pin down the reason. Now I know why! (I don't know why your dimming doesn't work, mine works fine)

I'll post about this in the powerlaunch thread tomorrow...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
New TURBO-CHARGED version!

Thanks to Matan's work, we now have an image file that runs almost as fast as a partition!! If you get a chance, head over to this thread and put a "thank you" on Matan's post. This is incredibly useful for anyone wanting to use an image file!

If you are already beta-testing the 0.9 series, just install the Easy Debian 0.9-7 package to enjoy your new speed boost.

If you are updating from version 0.6 or below, please follow the instructions in my earlier post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolasd View Post
I installed easy debian 0.9-4 and powerlaunch with the powerlaunch.conf that i copied in .powerlauch directory but the fullscreenmode doesn't work on my N800... Could you tell me where i am wrong ( menu button "get open office in fullscreen" in previous version didn't work also)
You need to hit the power button while in OpenOffice, then the menu will come up, asking if you want to lock the touch screen and keys, soft poweroff, etc..., then you hit the fullscreen key. There should be a message on the top right, saying, "fullscreen toggle", and OpenOffice (or whatever app you are in) should go fullscreen.

If everything happens except the fullscreen, open a terminal and type:
Code:
sudo debian wmctrl -l
and then post the results here.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
The solution is to talk to the powerlaunch developer. My alarms stopped working also, and I couldn't pin down the reason. Now I know why! (I don't know why your dimming doesn't work, mine works fine)

I'll post about this in the powerlaunch thread tomorrow...
I don't use alarms so I had not noticed... however, the dimming works fine on my N800... I am using the default configure file that powerlaunch installs.

Edit: ...dimming works fine, but the Display option of "lock screen and keys" upon switching the display does not work if powerlaunch is installed.

-- Denis

Last edited by delaroca; 2008-09-27 at 08:45. Reason: Further testing

New TURBO-CHARGED version!

Indeed, OpenOffice loads in about 25s -- while Abiword is loading in 20s.

Thanks,

-- Denis

To Qole:

I've been testing your new .94 Easy-Debian (I use Easy-Debian off a ext2 partition, so I guess I don't need the Turbo-Charged version?) over the last few days and the chroot scripts work great. Granted, I didn't use the Debian-image-installer, so can't report on that.

I really like LXDE, too. Very light and still has most of the features I use. Way better than IceWM

Nothing seems to be broken, the keyboards (well, at least xvkbd -- that's the one I use), Sound, Flash video in the web browser, etc. all works as expected.

The only issues I've had are with Epiphany (Webkit & Gecko), Midori, and non-Root RoXTerm. The easy one is RoXTerm, it gives some error about "Can't connect to /tmp/dbus-LongStringOfTextHere", then says "Failed To Install dbuse message filter", but it seems to work fine. Strangly, the Root-Terminal (which is also RoXTerm, right?) gives no such errors.

Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

After installing Epiphany, opening it errors with "Epiphany could not connect to the session message bus. Your default settings will not be available", and although Epiphany still works, any changes made to it aren't saved (Bookmarks, Settings, etc.).

Midori is the strangest. Opening it gives me this:

Code:
[root@Debian: /]hilda midori
su user -c midori

(midori:2453): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Unable to open a connection to the session bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-FJnR9CvO94: Connection refused

(midori:2453): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Unable to connect to the running instance, aborting.
An instance of Midori is already running but not responding.
There is no instance of Midori running. These dbus problems are killing me

Admitedly, I haven't really looked into fixing these issues. It may be something simple. Then again, this is after a clean install of debian, so I'd think everyone would get these problems under the same circumstances.

Hope this helps!

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Hi Brent,

Just want to point out that none of the programs you've mentioned (except RoxTerm) come default with Easy Debian. So the warranty doesn't apply to them

However, I'm curious about the dbus issues you're having, since I thought I'd fixed the dbus problems in the latest scripts. The strange thing is that I'm running Midori with absolutely no problems with these scripts. Midori has to be the fastest stable browser on the tablet at the moment. It has some issues with Java, so I have to uninstall the Java plugin, but that's not a big deal since Java's so slow on the tablet anyway. After that it runs like a greased pig with a butcher in pursuit.

When programs in the chroot complain about stuff not connecting, especially when running as non-root, it usually is because of permissions. Does your Debian install have the correct "user" account, and have you checked the permissions in the /home/user/.config directory (and any other config files)? You might need to run this as root:

Code:
chown -R user:users /home/user

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete