Active Topics

Hi.

Here's a little tip. It is possible to create shortcuts for folders and files on the desktop by using MicroB.

This relys on the discovery of My-Maemo.com, who showed that you can access the filesystem in MicroB by typing file:/// in the url-bar.

http://my-maemo.com/faq/showquestion...q=5&fldAuto=12

Actually, you can type just ///

Then navigate to a folder and simply create a bookmark, which you can later add to the desktop in a normal fashion.

To make a shortcut for a file, create a bookmark for the folder, then manual edit the url to point at the file.

It works for me, and I now have one-click access to ex. a pdf-file from the desktop.

Enjoy.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MOC For This Useful Post:
Thanks realy usefull tip!!!

At last!

Great tip.

sounds gr8 man. thnx

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by MOC View Post
Then navigate to a folder and simply create a bookmark, which you can later add to the desktop in a normal fashion.

To make a shortcut for a file, create a bookmark for the folder, then manual edit the url to point at the file.

It works for me, and I now have one-click access to ex. a pdf-file from the desktop.
Do I understand right, you create a desktop file which is a bookmark for the browser and open that one up to then be redirected to the application which opens the file you wanted to call?
Imagine you have no browserd running to save some mem. Then you tap on that bookmark, wait until browserd comes up just for having it throwing the path to the mime type handler and opening an external prog for it.
Sounds complicated. Can't believe there is no easier way to do that.

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Sounds complicated. Can't believe there is no easier way to do that.
I bet there is, and youre right, it does seem like a lot just to open up a file.

There's a plus side too though. It's fast and easy to create and it is one-click from the user viewpoint.

But there should be a official option for making a shortcut, for sure.

I think you got it right. But try it out yourself, it sounds like you know alot more about it than me.

Any update in this? I want to make shortcut to text file (.txt), but I want to edit it with note application (thats happens when I click on the file in file browser). Url bookmark will display text content in browser...