Active Topics

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
http://www.buy.com/prod/hava-titaniu...205838010.html

$150

Is it a good buy? Does it work well with N8x0?

I have slingbox but they did not offer software for N8x0. All the users of Hava please chime in.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
Does it work well with N8x0?
*snip*
All the users of Hava please chime in.
There's already quite a long discussion of the HAVA products and how they work with the N8x0s in the HAVA Player Beta Program thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
http://www.buy.com/prod/hava-titaniu...205838010.html

$150

Is it a good buy? Does it work well with N8x0?

I have slingbox but they did not offer software for N8x0. All the users of Hava please chime in.
I got HAVA platinum, 99$. It works fine. Video resolution is limited by Nokia. O/w, works good.

bun

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Mine has never worked properly. Installed the software but it sold never "Find the HAVA device" Calls and emails to HAVA support did not go well. They were unable to solve the problem and have not gotten back with me despite promising to fix it or refund my money.

I'm one of those on the positive side of the Hava experience, and although I've had a few issues here and there, they've mostly been ironed out. I was also one of those that had a no brainer installation using a motorola sbg900 router withmwpa encryption and Hava's setup recognized itself, the router and it was all functional within a minute, so I'm sure there are those that have had alternative problems with the Hava product, but for me I've had mostly good things to say.

If I've got any issues I'd say it does run hot ( I live in the desert and have it on a zalman nc cooler on one of the hava usb ports to take care of that ), I'd like better sound quality in remote mode and I'd like the features that were promised when I purchased it to be activated ( usb connection to a hard drive ). There's supposed to be a firmware/software upgrade out pretty soon that might help those with some of the issues they have, but overall the Nokia hava player is now pretty solid after beta testing and I've got full functionality of my SA 8300 DVR on it, so I'm one of those that gives an overall thumbs up to the whole experience.

One last thing on a side note though, I really think Hava needs a slingcatcher type product to compete with slingbox, because anyone with the opportunity to have a cable box overseas connected to a slingbox will appreciate the slingcatcher's ability to send it directly to the TV without the need for a windows media center pc. Also, my understanding is that slingbox has a wi-fi adapter in the works, so that gets rid of the hava's wireless advantage. Still, I chose the hava for its wireless abililties at the time and the ability to watch the N810 using it and so far I'm pretty impressed.

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Mine has never worked properly. Installed the software but it sold never "Find the HAVA device" Calls and emails to HAVA support did not go well. They were unable to solve the problem and have not gotten back with me despite promising to fix it or refund my money.

Sorry to hear that. Mine worked on day 1 and have never had major problem. If you still have your setup, mind to post more info/details and we together may get it working, maybe :-|

1) what is the error message?
2) what system you are running, and OS, versions etc

bun

Thanks Bun for the offer to help.

In fact, I'm guilty of a bit of hyperbole, since the HAVA support team did in fact call me at home and worked with me for nearly an hour. We tried everything, from un-installing and re-installing the software, checking versions, to changing network settings on the router, etc. Nothing worked. BTW I have a PC, running Vista. I have a Netgear G router with no security key. The error message: "Unable to find HAVA device." was most frustrating because it always came after about ten minutes of waiting through the setup process.

In any case, someone from HAVA called me today and they are sending a replacement unit. I can't be sure till I try the new unit, but I'm pretty sure it is a hardware issue. If nothing else, they are working very hard to ensure customer satisfaction!

Last edited by Greyghost; 2008-10-01 at 02:25.

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
.... If nothing else, they are working very hard to ensure customer satisfaction!
Just for that, I would pay 2X the price. Ensure customer satisfaction is such a rarity nowaday Post back on your replacement unit. Hope you get it working. I am a very satisfied customer.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Just for that, I would pay 2X the price. Ensure customer satisfaction is such a rarity nowaday Post back on your replacement unit. Hope you get it working. I am a very satisfied customer.

bun
Indeed, customer satisfaction is not high on many a company's agenda these days, but HAVA is an exception to this rule.

I write to report that I am now a very satisfied customer. In fact, HAVA support did not give up on me, but called me back. As I said, they even sent me a new unit just because we could not figure out what the problem might have been on the software side.

Well, it was software, and it was on my side. Actually, it was 'firmware' for my Netgear router. Even though I had purchased a new router within the past year, it turns out that the firmware was more than two years out of date. And, frustratingly, even though I had thought of this and had gone into the Netgear config page and clicked on "Update Firmware" and got a confirmation message that said: "Your firmware is up-to-date" in fact, it was not actually updating. The 'fix' required a trip to the Netgear site, downloading and installing the new firmware.

Et voila!

The best part was the fact that the support person was amazingly patient despite my (sometimes) stroppy attitude, and within a half an hour, he had my HAVA unit installed and working. Half an hour after that and I was watching the Daily Show on my N810 in the garage as I finished sanding that closet door I've been meaning to work on for days

So, I'll be sending back the new unit that they sent, using the pre-paid return label they thoughtfully provided, and I'll posting up apologies wherever I have complained to let folks know that it all worked out well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyghost For This Useful Post:
I am glad to hear a happy ending. As I myself, is a very happy customer of HAVA. It is reasonably priced (NOT like to cost an arm and a leg ) and amazingly, it just work.

bun