Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
As we can see here, the Community Awards has not given any awards for eyes (NITDroid for Harmattan), itsnotabigtruck (Inception for Harmattan) and qole (Easy Debian/HarmChom for Harmattan).

A partial solution would be the 3 above authors participate in the "Coding Competition" which has 25 devices (N9/N950) to be awarded in September 2012.

See my arguments about how important are Easy Debian, Inception and NITDroid for Harmattan in post #286, post #291, post #300 in "2012 Coding Competition" topic.

As the "2012 Coding Competition" has :
- only one category, "Updates and development on existing apps (2 N950, 1 N9)", with only 3 devices to include any updated software, which fits Easy Debian, Inception and NITDroid;
- a long deadline to choose the winners, September 10th 2012;
and the 3 authors need the N9/N950 devices as soon as possible (with the risk of their projects being stalled or not motivated at least), then I am proposing :

Some community members to donate N9/N950 devices to eyes, itsnotabigtruck and qole :
- for example, Summer'12 Devices already won but not yet sent by Nokia (my case a N9 from the "New Apps for Nokia Store" activity). I contacted qgil and it is possible, just contact qgil to divert your award and write here (this topic) about doing it;
- or any other community member who is not using his/her N9/N950 and willing to send it to the 3 authors.

I will make the 1st step :
- I am donating/diverting my Nokia N9 (award from "New Apps for Nokia Store" activity due to "SymPy Interactive Shell" software) to itsnotabigtruck. If possible, somebody (from "Community Awards" or "Coding Competition") could help to exchange the N9 for a N950, as a N950 was the preference of isnotabigtruck.

So, anybody could donate a (award) device to :
- eyes who needs a N950 to test NITDroid compatibility with N950, have 2 devices to develop, because eyes only has one N9 (bought with donations from all over the world) to develop and test NITDroid;
- qole who needs a Nokia N9 because his N950 (from 2011 Nokia Device Program) has (its screen) broken some months ago so Easy Debian for Harmattan development can stall
?

2012/07/10 Update : itsnotabigtruck and qole declined the Nokia N9 donation. I am trying to exchange my N9 award for a N950 (award from other user) without success. If a N950 is obtained, it could go to e-eyes.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-07-10 at 21:13. Reason: Updated the donation status

The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
I wrote that in the other thread, but I guess it's worth posting it here as well:

Man, you have the biggest cojones of us all in this thread, possibly TMO on the whole! A big tip of a hat, respect and bravo from my side to you!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to don.edri For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks so much for thinking of me! But I don't need a donated device. Let the devices go to more deserving / more involved people.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Thanks so much for thinking of me! But I don't need a donated device. Let the devices go to more deserving / more involved people.
Guys : the humblest people are the most deserving. Qole included.

Qole, from my blog posts I received a lot of hints and comments asking for Easy Debian for Harmattan (with easy installation, etc).

Your work is very much appreciated and needed by the Maemo/MeeGo community.

And, AFAIK, you're recently without any Harmattan device to develop, aren't you ?
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-06-29 at 18:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
I suggested a such thing earlier too ,

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...56#post1226156

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...50#post1225350

I did hack a bit to boot ubuntu through nfs so
I can help on easy debian for n950 ... how can i help this project ? qole's ask me for n950 tests / support

Regards

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
I'd be glad to donate my N950 to qole, if one is still needed.

I was lucky enough to also receive a Lumia 800 as an NSA 'developer gift', which I promptly sold, and used the funds to buy an N9, since I have no interest in Windows Phone.

All total, I currently have an N810, N900, N950, and N9... so I'll hardly be lacking worthy Maemo4/5 and Meego/Harmattan devices for development if the N950 finds another home

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slvr32 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My N950 is still working fine, it just has a cracked screen which makes it a little hard to read.

I have received many wonderful things from Nokia over the last few years, including trips and devices.

I bought an N9 "for my wife", but mainly so I could have one of those wonderful "museum pieces" in my home.

I have two big problems right now, and neither of them is "I need a new development device".

The first problem is that Harmattan security was designed to be incompatible with my chroot solution. This means that the only way anyone can install an "Easy Debian" is to install an unofficial "open kernel" that displays a big "ZOMG YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID!!!11" message or an even more unofficial security crack (Inception). There is no way any package I make will ever be allowed into any official repository, because of its dependencies on such things. It may not even be allowed into semi-official repositories such as apps.formeego.org, but I haven't researched this enough.

It seems pretty clear to me that Easy Debian is not just ignored by Nokia as it was in the past, it is discouraged. And that is pretty discouraging. I could probably put together a package over a weekend, but getting it published will be very difficult. And if I get it published, then I'm in for a world of pain when it comes to supporting the package, because so many things can go horribly, horribly wrong and that just doesn't sound like much fun.

My other main problem is that this is the sunset of Nokia's Linux OS. After years of developing and supporting the chroot solutions for Maemo, I'm really finding it difficult to continue development when I don't see any road forward for my work.

I've really been deflated about this whole thing. First, Nokia crippled their wonderful OS with a user-hostile security system, then they laid off all the great people who developed Maemo and MeeGo, and completely and utterly abandoned the whole platform.

It is so very hard to keep up my enthusiasm in the face of these odds, and I confess that I have mostly failed to do so.

My current dream-scheme involves building a small "handtop" from a PandaBoard and a 7" touchscreen, powered by AA rechargeable batteries, and running Linux on it.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Very nice initiative @rcolistete and generous of you.

@Qole I must say you fit the description vey well on a deserving member for such a device. I was gob smacked to find out you didn't end up with a community award cause you really deserved to get that reconition from the community.

Anyway hope this project will succeed and some happy devs will be in the recieving end.

Regards Dousan...

e: just read your post, sorry it has come to this for you though I can't blame for feeling this way in the light of your post.

Good luck with your pandaboard project.

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-06-29 at 22:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
The first problem is that Harmattan security was designed to be incompatible with my chroot solution. This means that the only way anyone can install an "Easy Debian" is to install an unofficial "open kernel" that displays a big "ZOMG YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID!!!11" message or an even more unofficial security crack (Inception). There is no way any package I make will ever be allowed into any official repository, because of its dependencies on such things. It may not even be allowed into semi-official repositories such as apps.formeego.org, but I haven't researched this enough.

It seems pretty clear to me that Easy Debian is not just ignored by Nokia as it was in the past, it is discouraged. And that is pretty discouraging. I could probably put together a package over a weekend, but getting it published will be very difficult. And if I get it published, then I'm in for a world of pain when it comes to supporting the package, because so many things can go horribly, horribly wrong and that just doesn't sound like much fun.
You know that you can disable that warranty message.
By the way, I dont care if you host is somewhere else. I really loved EasyDebian on my N900 and I really want this for harmattan as well. That is what this OS is about, right? Hacking into the OS, I dont care if Nokia doesn't like to hack our devices

Please dont stop supporting this awesomenes for harmattan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
My N950 is still working fine, it just has a cracked screen which makes it a little hard to read.

I have received many wonderful things from Nokia over the last few years, including trips and devices.

I bought an N9 "for my wife", but mainly so I could have one of those wonderful "museum pieces" in my home.
Qole, the Easy Debian community (yes, you and others have built an Easy Debian community using N8x0, N900 and N9) needs your contribution, energy and knowledge to help release and support an easy-to-install-and-use version of Easy Debian for Harmattan.

I think you need 2 devices, one with open mode kernel installed, other with only Inception installed, to represent the user base. Today, do you really have 2 devices to develop and install anything you want ? If you don't, IMHO you deserve a N9 (or N950) device from the community.

I have two big problems right now, and neither of them is "I need a new development device".

We can try to discuss with the community whether Inception (or some software depending on it) could be made available in apps.formeego.org.

Even if Easy Debian for Harmattan is published like OverClocking for Harmattan, with one/two .deb(s) depending on Inception (for example), I am pretty sure there will be thousands of users installing Easy Debian on their N9 ! One simple reason : there is no office editors for Harmattan, so OpenOffice / Abiword / Gnumeric within Easy Debian are a solution for many thousands of N9's users. The N9's user base is estimated at 1-3 million users, greater than the N900's user base.

My 1st blog article about Easy Debian Debian for Harmattan has 1.3 thousand views since Mars 2012, with more than 3 hundred views in one day. The 2nd blog article showing virtual keyboard working on Easy Debian @ Harmattan has 3 hundred views since April 2012. I receive many comments and help requests.
So there is huge interest about Easy Debian for N9/N950.
The only current problem it is the manual procedures of installing Easy Debian @ Harmattan : post #57 and post #125 of the topic "Chroot Scripts for Harmattan Open Mode".

Itsnotabigtruck's Inception and Javispedro solution for virtual keyboard made Easy Debian @ Harmattan pratical to use even on Nokia N9 (i.e., without physical keyboard). I have it on my N9, OpenOffice Writer is incredibly fast taking 10 s to open (faster than some computers) !

My proposition :
- you accept one N9/N950 device from the community;
- we (you, me and others) can work together to release a .deb install file for Easy Debian for Harmattan (depending on Inception or open mode kernel), maybe also an Easy Debian image specific for Harmattan;
- I don't have enough knowledge of Easy Debian tricks, so I depend on you, but I can help packaging a .deb, making some scripts, testing, etc.

My other main problem is that this is the sunset of Nokia's Linux OS. After years of developing and supporting the chroot solutions for Maemo, I'm really finding it difficult to continue development when I don't see any road forward for my work.

I've really been deflated about this whole thing. First, Nokia crippled their wonderful OS with a user-hostile security system, then they laid off all the great people who developed Maemo and MeeGo, and completely and utterly abandoned the whole platform.

It is so very hard to keep up my enthusiasm in the face of these odds, and I confess that I have mostly failed to do so.
My plan is to use & develop for my N810, N900 and N9 until at least 2014, because the Maemo/MeeGo community is alive and strong.

Easy Debian on Harmattan is already the best chroot solution to run Linux on any smartphone :
- because Harmattan has X11 and N9 hardware is fast (huge 1GB of RAM and 1 GHz Cortex A8);
- Android solutions don't have X11 and rely on VNC client/server to run the GUI, which is ridicoulously slow and not pratical to use.

We can indeed make the difference in this mobile world.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-06-30 at 01:26.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
awards, donating