Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
I have tried it, with no joy. Hence my asking if it is possible at all!

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Check you are doing things correctly; is the ssh server actually running on your, is it connected to the wifi and have you got the correct IP address for it. If you're sure you're not making any simple mistakes, then it could be the router, have you tried pinging your N900 from your PC, you should try that to see if that at least is working, if it isn't then your definitely want to check your router, I believe some routers have an option to separate the wired and wireless networks which will stop them communicating so look out for anything like that in your router's settings. If you still can't get it working, I believe you can create an ethernet connection to your computer over USB, you can try that for ssh access, there should be a guide around somewhere (maybe search for "ssh to n900 over usb").

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I rarely use remote shell on mine, usually i just hit control-shift-X and start typing commands on the device itself.

i followed all the steps but the folder not created in my n900....help me

I was just wondering if I later want to put back my original hildon.menu file (with no folders if you understand what I mean) how can I do that?Where can I find it or if someone can put it here for download?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pakistan,Karachi
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
nice write up. However, i'd recommend acouple of things:
1) use /home/user/.config/menus/hildon.menu for your custom menu
2) use /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon as the dierctory for your new menuname.directory files.

It should be safer than editing the files you mentioned, and your new menu structure will persist if you have to reflash.

3) some appname.desktop files already have categories listed and may show up in unwanted places. If this happens you can use <exclude> </exclude> tags.

There is some good info in a ouple of threads:
Making and managing folders
apmefo thread.

Apmefo is also very good dor beginners as it modifies all the files for you. Catagorize and mymenu offer some automatic categorization.

But a very nice write up nonetheless.
awesome bro,loved your work !!!!

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pakistan,Karachi
Originally Posted by utubee34 View Post
awesome bro,loved your work !!!!
but one thing i want to know which i cdnt understand is that how to transfer game file from applications directory to games ??i cdnt understand sorry for my bad english