Poll: SolarTOH, you want?
Poll Options
SolarTOH, you want?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Mhm... One thing I noticed only when I tried to take it off again: I can't. Or hardly can't. It took me 20min and two nail files to get the solar OH off my Jolla again. And I now have a crack in the phone.

Dirk, I suspect you put it on and off various times during development. Is there anything I'm missing?
Start on the side, below the volume buttons - the same with all harder TOHs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
All my real-life testing suggests it's a dud. Last four days in mexico/belize with 28 celsius on average jolla has not gained a single percentage of battery. It probably is because jolla on charger goes full throttle, not disconnecting its ssh daemon etc, and since it goes ladida even when not facing the sun it results in worse battery life overall. Oh and turned off, even midday sun never results in the second animation, you only see the cable about to be plugged in, never inaide with thw percentage

edit: I wonder if through addition of nfc sticker you could signal to jolla that solaroh is connected and to not go overboard/full steam when current is detected, no idea about the off charging though, doubt nfc is active then

Last edited by szopin; 2014-12-23 at 16:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
So no one has experienced any issue with network reception when using Solaroh or Diptoh as Clovis and me have experienced? The results were quite clear for both of us that these OHs were the cause of the bad (or null) reception, after several weeks of intensive use, I admit I'm a bit concerned about how the reception will be with tohkbd.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
So no one has experienced any issue with network reception when using Solaroh or Diptoh as Clovis and me have experienced? The results were quite clear for both of us that these OHs were the cause of the bad (or null) reception, after several weeks of intensive use, I admit I'm a bit concerned about how the reception will be with tohkbd.
Nothing as drastic as what you had, but that would depend on the city/network. Didn't see jolla going null reception, but maybe 3/4 when without solar it was full. Haven't noticed this with tohkbd v1, so I hope v2 will be fine as well

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Unfortunately I have a bad experience with SolarTOH
Twice tried this in the sunny day and twice it just eaten my battery like a crazy frog...
I checked top and found "system_service" process speed up CPU up to 90+% and my battery quickly empty.
I stopped using this TOH

The Following User Says Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I just received my Solartoh today (thanks Dirk!), but unfortunately I have the exact same problem I had with my Diptoh, and same problem Clovis had with Solartoh: no network at all when mounted. I had no issue at all the days before with my prototype Toholed (not the same plastic) and my official TOHs. I removed my Solartoh, and pouf, back to 4G network. :/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
The same as Schturman. The solar toh actually drains the battery much quicker :/

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Jolla about solar charging

issue is with phone hw&sw..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Jolla about solar charging

issue is with phone hw&sw..
Oh wow, that's pretty shitty, did ask them at fosdem and they were supposed to look, guess it didn't look to good. Wonder if we can still 'fix' it from userland, with underclock to 125mhz/disable all network interfaces/display/sensors/kill all unnecessary processes, would maybe this bring the power consumption below what the panel gives on a sunny day? At least then it would be an option for a camping trip to get those few percentage points

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Just some thinking, maybe totally off track:
is it possible to charge via usb and pins at the same time? Would this add up or actually conflict in some way?