Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I'd say it's nice to have it. I had a Jolla, BB Z10, 808, L820 and I always come back to the N9. Guess I'm just stuck with it. The only other phone I am sure would satisfy me is Lauta but it's nowhere to be found.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
There are two main drawbacks with N9, slow hw for today’s standards, officially abandoned platform. Especially the 16GB is restrictive as you cannot store lots of AV content. Of course it all depends what sort of use you want to do, with current Jolla phone price drops, I would suggest you go for a Jolla phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Serbia
Wow, thanks guys, I really like your opinions, but I saw that there's no USB-OTG support, so... does the Z10 have it? I like the Z10 too, so if it has OTG and is not much more closed than Symbian, than I'm moving to BB! But if not, I'll probably get 200 euros and go for a 16 gb N9. Thank you guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fwiffo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Alan Breen View Post
It has a very good document reader, BUT doesn't have any document creation or editing software ala QuickOffice etc.
There is "Easy Debian for MeeGo Harmattan : now with translucent VKB on PR1.3" with OpenOffice, Abiword, Gnumeric, etc. About 10s to open OpenOffice on N9 x 1 minute on N900, hey, it is faster than some desktop and notebook PC's !
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fwiffo View Post
Wow, thanks guys, I really like your opinions, but I saw that there's no USB-OTG support, so... does the Z10 have it? I like the Z10 too, so if it has OTG and is not much more closed than Symbian, than I'm moving to BB! But if not, I'll probably get 200 euros and go for a 16 gb N9. Thank you guys!
N9 is like once in lifetime device, With almost all centennial apps you wont't regret about N9 purchase. And a strong community is doing everything so show can go on, But keep in mind that despite of all the deice is old and if good condition set is available gO grab it.
Else Z30 is another phone which you can go for, Though offline map support is limited but phone is amazing and OS is simply great. With 10.3.1 update the phone became much better.I won't recommend Z10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Serbia
No need to worry about condition; I'm buying a new one (the good thing about Serbia is that you can still find even a brand new N95 :3)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fwiffo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fwiffo View Post
I am pretty sure the Z10 does not have USB OTG. The Z30 does, and it gets much better battery life.
I seriously might still be using the N9 if it were not for the browser. Both the stock one and Opera were simply way too slow for me. That's why I moved on to Blackberry Z30 (and then Passport). I still love the phone. If there were only a browser that still got updates....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
No, no support, dead, too slow, no active store anymore.

Jolla or some android device, if you like one (i would buy Huawei or Nexus 4 ->). If you do not want to know anything, just use and like very polished phone then use Iphone.

Last edited by Makeclick; 2015-01-10 at 20:57. Reason: more info

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Is it still worth to buy a N9? Indeed it is! The N9 combines a good hardware with a (unfortunately abandoned) amazing and flexible OS - but there are some bugs which won't be fixed ...

the pro's:
- good form factor
- amoled
- good camera (compared to Jolla and BB Z10)
- still active developers - openrepos
- still working Skype (nobody knows when meet follows symbian ...)
- offline navigation and most needed apps (we'll see what happens when the OVI store will close it's doors ...)
- highly customizable - search this site ...
- price ;-) - you'll get a used one in good shape with 16GB for a bit more than 100,- EUR (colored a bit more)

the con's:
- not everything work's out of the box - you'll have to do a bit of investigation and applying some patches
- the browsers - the stock one is awful - Opera and firefox are better in rendering and faster but outdated (no sync in Firefox and awful keyboard in Opera - and no security fixes ... )
- no maps updates - the latest are early 2013 ...
- no SD
- no HDMI-out
- no more updates for major apps (but sometimes fixes from the community as for exchange accounts)

well, that's it - finally if you want something not-related to MS, Apple or Google your options are limited ;-)

- Blackberry - I own a Z10 - it's a great business device - mail, contacts, messages, calls, ... all in the hub and managed to a nearly perfect workflow, telephone-calls are in real high quality and the OS is fast and easy to use - plus a real HDMI-out on the pro site (for me the only way I can play my mp4 movies on my girlfriends TV) and SD-slot - everything else ist quite boring - the android runtime is not as good as on the Jolla and the battery is *****, you can customize almost nothing and the stock media players are very basic (there is one really good in the BB World) - ah and the apps are really expensive - but it works and works and works ...

- Firefox OS - actually I never tried it because there was no hardware, that fits my needs (maybe the new transparent one ... )

- Jolla - I'm still playing around with mine, and it's a cool first device for startup - If you like spending hours in testing, playing with the OS, reading in forums and if you are willing to help a small company in supporting the idea of open source software on mobile devices, and if want to feel a bit more geeky than the guys with android ;-) ... buy one bit be aware, that you will finally use more android stuff than you expected because even the stock apps in sailfish are still too limited (email, calendar, ...) - the pro is, that much mire android apps are working on Sailfish than on BB 10.2 (haven't tried 10.3 yet ..) and SD-slot

- Tizen, Symbian, ... - even worse

So should you buy a N9? I would, but I already have one ;-) but I won't spend 200,- € - for a 16GB (130,- for a colored one made in Finnland in *mint* condition - 110,- for a black one) - you'll get a used Jolla for 160,- and a used BB z10 for 150,- - so it's more a decision of your preferences

So decide what you want ;-)
- a geeky enough, still good working device with a good support base: N9
- something that just works with no fancy and no blingbling and your day isn't longer than 10hrs (battery): BB Z10

- the future (maybe) and something totally different: Jolla

ah and if you want to stick with the major companies: still the best offer: Nokia Lumia 620 - good camera, small form factor, optional outdoor backcover, fast enough for everything, SD - but unfortunately MS :-(

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Be warned, that soon you will not be able to install Nokia Store apps on N9, so you could be stuck with factory software only.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94272

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:

Tags
buying n9, nokia n9