Poll: whats you next phone after the n900
Poll Options
whats you next phone after the n900

Well I did it. I actually ordered a galaxy note. My n900 is currently in repairland and I have really had the cold turkey shakes because I haven't had it. I plan to try and use both. I imagine there will be plenty of tasks that only the n900 can still accomplish, so I will still be needing it for a while yet. The note I am hoping should be better for a more up to date web experience as the n900 is (only just) beginning to show it's age on some web site with the lack of up to date flash etc. Will probably still take the n900 to work too and the note will get used out of work.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think the only phones an N900 enthusiast would consider are:
-Another N900
-N950
-Galaxy Note
-Galaxy Nexus

If you consider anything but those sounds like you've outgrown the niche and are more accustomed to a Appy-phones
If I may ask, in what way are the Note and the Nexus not Appy-phones? The Note does come with a stylus, but both are still running Android. Unless you give them a good rooting, you're still just playing with apps. I don't really see the difference with any other Android device...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I think the only phones an N900 enthusiast would consider are:
-Another N900
Fixed.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
A hardware keyboard is quite useless in MeeGo-Harmattan. There are very few keyboard shortcuts and many of the applications are locked to portrait. Even vi is easier to use with the VKB, due to the way the terminal behaves when the HWKB is open. If you want Harmattan, you may as well just get an N9 and stop worrying about the lack of HWKB. The N950 seems to have acquired some kind of mythical status solely because it is not widely accesible. The only reason I would take the N950 over the N9 is because of the metal construction. Nokia can call it polycarbonate all they want. I call it plastic.
Does email, texting, and instant messaging work with hwkb? if so then it's worth it. The n900 when it first came out had mainly portrait mode apps. Even still being able to email and text in stuff was better with the hwkb.

Originally Posted by Grok View Post
I voted something else.

By the time I run out of N900's I'm hoping there will be a worthy successor.

At this point there is nothing that has the terrific combination of features and OS that the N900 has. I will know it when I see it!
YEs my thoughts exactly. I knew the n900 was amazing when i saw it. there just isnt anything out there that really trumps it right now. Even with all the advanced hardware. I dont see why its so difficult to improve upon. I dont understand it. I guess if they give you all you need in a phone with a reasonable life expectancy you wouldnt buy more phones. I think its a selling tactic. Give a lil, take a lil. They will keep comming back for specific features.

I just bought my First N900.

I wanted a N950 initially but they're not on sale.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
welcome.... first thing i should have done with it is this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80762

my next phone is SGS3 in 2012 with 4-core CPU

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
If I may ask, in what way are the Note and the Nexus not Appy-phones? The Note does come with a stylus, but both are still running Android. Unless you give them a good rooting, you're still just playing with apps. I don't really see the difference with any other Android device...
Glad you asked.
The NOTE is quite different because the large size makes the virtual keyboard bearable and a hwkb a little redundant. Its large screen, abundant pixels, blazing performance and features (and the S Pen) make it more than a regular Android phone.

The Gnex is on that list because it, like the NOTE, is highly advanced (large screen, pixels, performance and features) though not as much. But what separates it from other Android phones is that it will get massive support. And just like the Nexus One and HD2, its probable to get a Ubuntu port and perhaps even a MeeGo/WebOS one too.

The others are not as unique or not as developer friendly, so they're more like traditional Android devices, so theyre moreso "Appy phones"... not saying its a bad thing they just don't fit in the niche as the N900.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
The NOTE is quite different because the large size makes the virtual keyboard bearable and a hwkb a little redundant. Its large screen, abundant pixels, blazing performance and features (and the S Pen) make it more than a regular Android phone.
Oh, I quite agree that the Note's hardware is fabulous. (Although I would still like a hardware keyboard, pressing my fingers against glass to type was literally painful on my old iPhone. Maybe using the stylus to type would fix that, though...)

The Gnex is on that list because it, like the NOTE, is highly advanced (large screen, pixels, performance and features) though not as much. But what separates it from other Android phones is that it will get massive support.
Well, here's where my question kinda pops up again. If lots of apps is what you want, any Android or iOS phone will give you that. You get massive amounts of "support" on those phones. After all, the developers are being paid plenty to feed you with hoards of tiny, cute, brightly colored little programs.

And just like the Nexus One and HD2, its probable to get a Ubuntu port and perhaps even a MeeGo/WebOS one too.
Yes, again, once you've rooted the thing. Just like all the other appy phones.

The others are not as unique or not as developer friendly, so they're more like traditional Android devices, so theyre moreso "Appy phones".
When you say "developer friendly", I get the feeling you really mean "power user friendly". Yeah, the Note has awesome hardware, but exactly how does that help the developer?

In pure terms of "making life easy for the developer", I don't think you can beat Apple. (Although I haven't tried writing code for Android yet.) I've played around with the iPhone (now iOS) SDK, you really can't get a friendlier, more supportive suite of development tools than what they give you.

But, of course, that's if your goal in life is to write little apps. With the N900, I'm running the same OS on my phone that I'm running on my desktop machines. I absolutely love being able to open a terminal and start editing code in Vim on the N900, in exactly the same way I do on my desktop machines. The freedom to use the machine as a normal Linux box, not just a glorified app launcher, is what sets the N900 apart from the appy phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: