Notices

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
I wonder If someone have the knowledge and software skills to write something similiar to cradar (for Android) it will be great for everyone (motorcycle riders, bicycle, car ....)

http://actionxl.com/~CRADAR.html

P.S: I have found one .pdf with graphics about forces to make a difference between crash and sudden stops:
http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/wreckwatch.pdf

This could save lives....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiCRoPhoBIC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Very Nice Idea
tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
How does a crash compare to just dropping the N900? What about having it catapulted from your pocket after flipping over the handlebar of your bicycle? Doing one of those dances that look like you've been photoshopped live?

download attached file
copy to /home/user (not mydocs)
tar -xvf gps.tar
cd gps
edit helpme.sh and change the +xxxxxxx phone number to that of a contact

run ./helpme.sh

or set up a queen becon widget to call it.

you will need the smssend app installed. it also uses sed and awk so make sure you have those. sed and awk may be installed by default, not sure.

smssend -c opens up conversations , see smssend help if you just want to send the sms straight away without going through conversations.

Now I'm going back to boycotting this community.
Attached Files
File Type: tar gps.tar (10.0 KB, 80 views)

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
How does a crash compare to just dropping the N900? What about having it catapulted from your pocket after flipping over the handlebar of your bicycle? Doing one of those dances that look like you've been photoshopped live?
It's not much different BUT hey, this is a feature, not bug
If you drop it you can get it and press the button "I'm OK" in the next X seconds. If you drop it on the road (and you lost it) - anyway the app will send GPS coordinates to your preferred number...and you can call it and ask him where exactly you lost your phone

Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
download attached file
copy to /home/user (not mydocs)
tar -xvf gps.tar.
Hm, I don't see any accelerometer code in this source, only gps coordinates and sending them by command prompt?. The main idea of this "man down" soft is to start gps fix only when big shock is detected by the accelerometer, then send the sms to predefined number.

Last edited by MiCRoPhoBIC; 2011-04-16 at 05:36.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
It could also be done using (M-AG's) phone-control program. build a simple script for the dial or sms.

Phone-Control is a great program/script/thingy! could be used for this!!

Also, it would not be easy to judge the "fall".
i would use this program for trail bike riding (bush). how could this distiguish a crash/fall or a jump/steep drop?
I don't think it could.

it would be more efficient if you just make a big black back ground and a huge red button on your screen to press to sms/dial a number...

maybe add an external big red button?? use a gamepad kind of setup to push the button which hit the keyboard buttons...

Last edited by kingoddball; 2011-04-16 at 07:15.

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Also, it would not be easy to judge the "fall".
i would use this program for trail bike riding (bush). how could this distiguish a crash/fall or a jump/steep drop?
I don't think it could.
You still have the forks suspension, don't you? First, I think it's still possible to distinguish between some jumps, hitting some holes in the street and the case when your body(pocket with phone) hits hard surface of the earth or crash in some other car. It is all about measuring G's and violent changes in G's.

In the end this application is intended to help lone riders on the regular roads, not some extreme offroad jumpers, or car crash test drivers. Nobody goes alone to do extreme jumps and offroad drive in the forest. It is very extreme...falling is big part of the fun and nobody do it alone, because it will be very risky.
You should use this application only when it will help - if you're with company bikerz for example - you don't need it, if you're doing some extreme jumps with friends - you don't need to enable it too.

I ride my motorcycle every day (I don't drive cars). Very often I do it alone, two years ago I had a little accident in Greece, fall with 85km/h. I was lucky - a few few bike scratches/bents and a little burned spot in my leg. I was still on the road - this was good. But then I realized that maybe next time I may not be. Three years ago I had similar experience in Slovenia - I didn't fall but quit the road - it was raining and very slippery.
So if you ride alone no matter what - a bike, a car ...it may be very usefull application for you.

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
it would be more efficient if you just make a big black back ground and a huge red button on your screen to press to sms/dial a number...

maybe add an external big red button?? use a gamepad kind of setup to push the button which hit the keyboard buttons...
No, this won't work at all:
The very big problem is that if you're alone you can miss the turn an fly out of the road - it's very common to loose conciseness
you will leave a tiny or no tracks at all that something is gone out of the road. You can be there for hours and nobody on this road will realize that there have been some accident and you won't be able to shout or push any button. Even if you're in full conciseness you may have broken arms, neck or something - it is an absurd to rely on pushing buttons. If you're able to push button, you have very big chance to be able to dial numbers too - 911/112 is enough.

Putting and relying on some external hardware button to trigger the alarm will just make fake positives (accidentally pressed when riding) and no certainty if you will be able to press it at all when you're really down and need help.

Last edited by MiCRoPhoBIC; 2011-04-16 at 15:21.