Closed Thread
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Some would call claiming a community competition was "rigged", and demanding results from winners of awards for past works childish and pointless as well. We all do childish and pointless things at times though, don't we?
I demanded nothing of the winners. I asked who they were, please read things more carefully next time.

I am asking for you to be transparent about the choosing process just as you claim you are transparent. Which I still believe you to be.

Again, be friendly Woody. I am not attacking you, I'm asking for clarification.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
id like to add my voice to zoggs/aries/creamys, and say, i dont know man, i think its messed up that the council gave it to themselves, deserving or not.

also, since its strictly a thank-you for past, possibly hitherto-unrecognized service.
why would the most important key developers not get it? id give another to rzr before id give it to, lets say, anyone on the council.
Don't forget e-yes either. He brought NITDroid to the N9.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
hmmm passions running high here.. Eaze up ppl...

The Following User Says Thank You to zzzchainzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Well, it's 25x $700 = $17,750 of prizes. I really hope the council voted or did some serious research, especially when they get to pay themselves with one too. I understand if the prizes are awarded by qgil or nokia we don't get any information on why each person is selected, but I was a little disappointed to see that approach here as well. Actually even qgil at least got the developers to name the project they are working on so it's better transparency than this.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-06-21 at 19:16.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zzzchainzzz View Post
hmmm passions running high here.. Eaze up ppl...
yes, we should not be yelling at each other, we're a community. if we can't embrace one another, then

that does NOT mean that we should not speak out. a community council is a valuable thing to have, iff they have the respect of the community; i feel that that this undermines that respect.

the goal of MY complaint is to bring into daylight feelings that we might not voice otherwise; to get the council to, perhaps, squash these feelings.

1) a list of who these people are and what they did would be nice.
2) an answer to zogg's outcry wouldnt be amiss

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
. I really hope the council voted or did some serious research
A little research on your part would show that at least a little research was in fact done. Take a look at the wiki page for CA Each person had to submit a detailed list of their accomplishments that they felt would be deserving of an award, which was then researched and documented by Council, along with other details and items found. It was a bit more detailed that "what project they're working on" though, IMHO

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
this is heavyweight member debate, im just newbie, but i think this should be private conversation, and congrats to all the winner, hope they gonna improving harmattan like fremantle does,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
A little research on your part would show that at least a little research was in fact done. Take a look at the wiki page for CA Each person had to submit a detailed list of their accomplishments that they felt would be deserving of an award, which was then researched and documented by Council, along with other details and items found. It was a bit more detailed that "what project they're working on" though, IMHO
I read that but the 'criteria' doesn't mention anything about that, so for all I know you throw that submitted info in the trash.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Your opinions and comments towards me are attacking me more and more each time.
I have done nothing but point out that you are being rude and insulting to people, myself inclusive. That's not an attack, it's a factual statement. You are the one perceiving it as an attack because you are emotional and on the attack yourself.

you clearly should be more friendly as I'm not attacking you and asking for explanations.
Really? I think you did:

I would like some explanation as to why certain individuals that did nothing for the harmattan community were given devices that they didn't deserve?
That sounds exactly like you asking for an explanation, literally and aggressively.

You also were being insulting by saying that because some of the award recipients did nothing for the Harmattan community, despite tons of work for other Maemo communities, that they were undeserving.

Do you see what I'm saying now, on how that is insulting to those recipients? What if I were to say the same about coding awards where someone made an app for the N9, but not the N900? That they were undeserving because they did nothing for the Fremantle community... You'd be outraged.

So instead of giving the awards to people that should have gotten them, you gave them to would be moderators in your eyes?
No, we gave them to people who fit the criteria of the competition. I've said that at least 3 times now. This is not about moderation. It's about community members who have contributed in the past and moved the community forward. That's what the CA was about, and it's how we awarded it. Why you still can't understand this is puzzling to me, as I know you to be logical in many respects.

People's past contributions are great, but if there is no record of their involvement or help with Harmattan how can we be sure that they will be so eager to help Harmattan as you claim?
Again, the award was not about future contributions. It was about past contributions. When you grasp that point, we can move on.

You are not winning favor with many of the Harmattan folks speaking to me this way
Woody, rethink how you respond to me next time (be more friendly), because you are making a lot of enemies in the Harmattan camp this way.
You have a rather high opinion of yourself. You come here, demand explanations, question the decision of elected leadership of the community, insult community members by name, and when called on it make personal threats? You are doing quite a bit of damage to the reputation of the "Harmattan camp" through your own ego and bravado than I am by pointing out your actions.

I have no problems with Harmattan, and in fact am working hard to bring them back into the fold. This award group is, if nothing, a huge gift to that camp, weather your can see it or not. In all your demand for respect, I have to say that it's noticeably lacking from your side.

Again to the people that received awards I have no issue with you, I am questioning the decision making process of the council.
I am part of Council. You have an issue with Council, thus you have an issue with me.

I think you need to take a step back and consider your actions here. You've come into the forum demanding explanations (literally) for who won. You're demanding we hold winners to a commitment of future work, when the award was 100% based on past work. You're calling people out by group and by name as being undeserving, and insulting Council by questioning their choices.

Do you not see how that is insulting, and how YOU are not winning favor with many of the non-Harmattan folks speaking to me (and all of the community) this way?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
woody: things that are insulting that need to be said still need to be said; you cant have democracy without it. quit trying to silence the most vitriolic of the complainers and address the complaints, please.
{arie's tone is not the important issue; what he, creamy, zogg, me, etc are saying is the important issue}

my list of grievances for this contest:
1) strange criteria {a prize, not to better the community, but to say thank you to individuals}
2) vague criteria {anyone who has ever done anything cool however many years ago fits the bill. it should be more rigid and well-defined. the people who were eliminated after the first pass, and second pass, would probably like to know WHY.}
3) opaque, mysterious fulfillment of criteria {closed doors arent nice in a community}
4) abuse of power {judges cant win contests in ANY fair system; impartiality is the most important prerequisite to my idea of 'fairness'}

please note:
im NOT saying that anyone who got one doesnt deserve it. im saying that the system that selected them was not designed in such a way as to select some reasonably accurate most-deserving-subset.

which necessarily means that i AM saying that there are probably people who deserve them MORE {but not definitely; i am just not convinced this contest was fair}. saying 'it was rigged' does not seem unreasonable to me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry