Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
When you say skinable, I worry. While I don't mind programs giving users the ability to apply skins, I absolutely hate it when the only way for an application to look native is to choose the correct skin.
Probably just me not explaining myself very well on this. By skinable I mean able to be to skinned rather than requiring one in the first place (I'm dev so language slightly different).

Allowing skins to be applied over a stock look and feel I believe offers a great end user experience. If we can combine that with intelligent control associations (keep associated controls together) and allow configurable UI widgets then everyone is happy: UI becomes just another configuration dataset for the developer.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Probably just me not explaining myself very well on this. By skinable I mean able to be to skinned rather than requiring one in the first place (I'm dev so language slightly different).

Allowing skins to be applied over a stock look and feel I believe offers a great end user experience. If we can combine that with intelligent control associations (keep associated controls together) and allow configurable UI widgets then everyone is happy: UI becomes just another configuration dataset for the developer.
We already have that. It's called Themes. They have the additional advantage that they make all apps uniform, which is very important for usability.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
If you don't write up the brainstorm, I'll kill you! AWESOME IDEA!!

As for rhe racism/Chappelle talk, just judge that girl on her own merits. She's Black, not Martian. It is only a skin color, just like a hair color. My girlfriend is a White woman with blonde hair, and she's exactly like the red headed and brunette women I've dated: unique as individuals. Worry about getting to know her, not her culture. Not all Black people IN MY CITY are much alike, much less in the world. I'm not much like Bryant Gumble, Shaka Zulu, TuPac, or Al Sharpton. I'm the only christexaport, and she's the only her. Keep that in mind and she'll be your's forever if that's what you want. Chappelle will only teach you to be laughed at, and maybe that's not always the best idea.

Now back to the topic...
Right, so in order to avoid any unnecessary bloodshed I've created a thread in brainstorm about the topic here.

For some reason I couldn't search for any existing threads on the subject so I just created one. If there is one please feel free to link and I'll post there.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
We already have that. It's called Themes. They have the additional advantage that they make all apps uniform, which is very important for usability.
Hrm, I see what you are saying. I just want it to look cool.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
but there has to be some way to "force" 3rd party app developers to make their apps prettier.
Then just do it! Most of these apps are open source. You can get their source code directly from the repositories and most of them have a svn at garage.

There has to be a way to "force" people like you actually fix the things they are complaining about rather than trying to force others to do so.

Tags
buttafaces, buttfaces