Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
It sucks big time ... doesn't do tethering (as yet without a hack).
But neverthless, go get it. This wait for some magical device from Nokia will lead nowhere, in the near run.

I don't think they are ready with anything as yet. A near state of readiness would show some tidbits (real) from Nokia guys leaking out or some blurrycam shots etc. Obviously Nokia is still talking foundation level things and cooperation and all that bunkum (w Intel). I feel they do not have any thing in a ready state as yet.

Yes it will come .... eventually.
What "it" are you thinking about?

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
I've asked myself the same question, but with an HTC Touch Pro 2 instead of the iPhone. I have faith that Nokia will still pull something out of the bag, preferrably with a >4" screen, but that faith is starting to wain. An Android with a decent size/resolution screen would probably sway me today

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I'm tired of seeing pandora delayed and nokia remaining quiet about their future products. iphone 3G S is available right now and will probably offer the same performance.
Your point is that you don't want to wait for a next-gen non-phone PDA-like multimedia device, so maybe you'll buy a phone...
Dude, seriously, you're confused
Personally I think the HW platform (aka the new CPU) is way cool and powerful, still I believe the iphone is as dumb as a phone can get given the restrictions set by apple...
The decision is yours to take, but I'd like you to think twice about the kind of device you're looking for

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
You may want to consider an itouch.

My wife had an older ipod and an n800.
When the ipod died it was replaced by the itouch

Wifi enablement was the thing that leveled the playing field for her.
It fulfilled many of her n800 apps...

So, with a web browser (that isnt bad), skype, book reader and
smaller than the n800, the tablet quickly fell out of favor and
went to one of the kids...

As an appliance, the previous comments about ease of use and
that 'it just works' are irrefutable. All of us software developers
types should take heed...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebrindle For This Useful Post:
I keep playing with the iPhone when I get a chance and in particular I look at the apps (have already seen the sleek UI and the finger scrolling and all that - its old hat now).

While a typical iPhone has say 2 pages (screens) of apps, maybe one page of apps is all bull - the screensaver app, the hot girl app, the iFart, the fish in the water with sound effects app etc etc.

But the productive apps that are there - seem to be pretty functional and complete in nature - which is something that is missing from the NIT apps (except the star apps).

To the user this is what matters most - as much as the openness of the device.
What good is an open device to a non-programmer user if the user-end applications are missing ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
While a typical iPhone has say 2 pages (screens) of apps, maybe one page of apps is all bull - the screensaver app, the hot girl app, the iFart, the fish in the water with sound effects app etc etc.
I thought those were the good apps

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I have none of those.

But the productive apps that are there - seem to be pretty functional and complete in nature - which is something that is missing from the NIT apps (except the star apps).
The best app for productivity QuickOffice costs 20 bucks. 20 damn bucks! But I can open, edit, manipulate MS Office files while on the go - something that I've oddly needed when I didn't have my laptop. Sure, you can argue that OpenOffice, AbiWord or something else can be "hacked" or put onto the NIT; but it crashes, has UI problems or just sometimes fails.

On the iPhone: Evernote, AroundMe, Air Sharing, Box.net, Transmate, Joost and quite a few others don't have alternatives on the NIT.

GV Mobile is just like DialCentral, but polished. MagicPad is a lot like Xournal. 1Password (which syncs with desktop) is a lot like Password Safe, and some other overlaps. But the NIT has very few high end 3rd party apps that has any updates. Skype, Gizmo, Rhapsody (ok, I don't use this one at all)... no update since 2007 for the most part.

To the user this is what matters most - as much as the openness of the device.
What good is an open device to a non-programmer user if the user-end applications are missing ?
100% agree here.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Hey, Voltron, I'm curious just what it is you're so anxious for. As benny said to sachin007, is it just a desire to spend money? Or I'd ask if it's just the fun of upgrading and getting new tech wizardry?

The questions aren't meant as a put-down. I wish a little that my N800 were a bit beefier on the specs, but there really isn't anything I seriously miss. I have a limited imagination! What is it specifically you're jonesing for?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ebrindle View Post
You may want to consider an itouch.
Ipod touch.

It doesn't have 3G though.

My recommendation: wait for an OMAP3 device. Once these are in the wild, buy one of these or buy previous ARM series (e.g. ARMv11) with price cut.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
It sucks very much, you can't do multitasking.
And it doesn't have a physical keyboard. And it has a closed and draconian application ecosytem.