Closed Thread
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
As Steve Blowjobs would say: Marketing is everything.
Case in point: Miller / Coors / Bud.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Case in point, WP.

man, thats too deep, looooool

can i give ur thanks double?

Just ignore the guy. I only post factual information about WP which contradict his points, just to wind him up. Europe is actually one of nokias strong territories and iPhones weaker one. Nokia is a lot stronger in Europe than the Middle east yet he thinks it's a "Taliban" phone because it doesn't sell in the US.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Case in point, WP.
Flawless victory

One thing Apple did right was capitalize on stupid moves by other companies. I was running Skype video on my E75 and E72 way before Apple "invented" video calls on mobile phones.

Only Skype screwed Fring over (maybe Apple tossed them some investment cash, who knows?) and suddenly Symbian no longer had Skype video and then "Apple had it first!"

Marketing and shady back room deals...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Lumia still doing well over on Amazon. Remember, no unlocked Lumias available yet, only with plan. Sort of like iphone deal. If you combine black and cyan, it is likely close to first place:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C..._nav_cps_1_cps

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Lumia still doing well over on Amazon. Remember, no unlocked Lumias available yet, only with plan. Sort of like iphone deal. If you combine black and cyan, it is likely close to first place:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C..._nav_cps_1_cps
Lumiaman, I mean this as friendly advice. You really need to lay off the Lumia propaganda, why do you do it?
Everthing you post doesn't make any sense.

You post a list of service plan only bestsellers then suggest that it's disadvantaged because it's only on a service plan. Does this make sense to you?

You say that if you combine colours it would be first place yet have no evidence of it, you also overlook the fact that the Black Galaxy SII is above the black Lumia 900 and the White Galaxy SII is above the Cyan Lumia 900. Does that mathematically make sense to you?

I understand that you are out to try and promote Lumias but stop and think for a second, why you are doing it and whether your idea to promote it overtakes your common sense. I mean this as friendly advice.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-04-23 at 16:43.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Can somebody explain to me, since all of you seem to love old NOKIA phones: why does Europe dig iphone and android and not Symbian?
It was a new, simpler way to do things that people were already doing. Marketing was part of it, but it was the streamlined UI/UX that appealed to most. It's more streamlined than Symbian at that time.

Underneath it all, Apple had been laying the groundwork for a one-stop shop for music, video and other media as well as it was a place where you could seamlessly and quickly add/remove stuff from your phone.

Simply stated, CTRL+C and CTRL+V (or even drag and drop sometimes) for some folks was too much for an USB mass storage device for some folks. Apple had found a way to lower the entry level for "smartphones" (loosely applied here) from savvy to just "if you have this much in your pocket, congrats... you're a smartphone owner - Apple"

I think it's more of a phenomena that iOS is catching on in Japan. What they call usable is quite different than say Europe and/or North America. But the simplification for something that is supposed to be a convergence of media, contacts, phone calls, gaming, et al and as it stands, iPhone was doing it in a simpler manner than most. Did others do it even more simple, yes they did.

But marketing said Apple's efforts were simpler and people believed it "just worked". There are a ton of other factors, but a streamlined, uniform UI/UX was what got the ball rolling, but the media, software, OS and other parts all contributed to that success - distribution also had to be in place, Nokia dismantled their distribution (online stores gone, stores in the North American market gone... I have to buy via Amazon or some other 3rd party). And ultimately... Apple walked in to the carriers and successfully made them deal with them on their terms. Nokia was not successful at this outside of Europe.

That's my take. Feel free to dissect, but each point above is where Nokia is failing or have failed.

I'd say that Levi's would be a study on marketing hype. Nothing special about the 501 jeans... but the hype surrounding it made each and every person in Europe that knew when I was coming there to request for a pair or three on my trips from the US.

The marketing hype made people do illegal stuff to get a pair.

Meanwhile, Miller/Coors/Bud... even Americans know those are crap beers. I don't drink those beers even when they're on sale. I don't damn sure drink them when I go to Europe - better exists for cheaper.

But the counter to that, Heineken. In the states, it's seen as a beer with prestige. It's not... it's a cheap beer in Holland and many better options exist. In the states, it costs quite a bit much more and folks equate that to something special.

In terms of gadgets though... Nokia has always been too expensive in the US and N-series has had very little distribution.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It was a new, simpler way to do things that people were already doing. Marketing was part of it, but it was the streamlined UI/UX that appealed to most. It's more streamlined than Symbian at that time.

Underneath it all, Apple had been laying the groundwork for a one-stop shop for music, video and other media as well as it was a place where you could seamlessly and quickly add/remove stuff from your phone.

Simply stated, CTRL+C and CTRL+V (or even drag and drop sometimes) for some folks was too much for an USB mass storage device for some folks. Apple had found a way to lower the entry level for "smartphones" (loosely applied here) from savvy to just "if you have this much in your pocket, congrats... you're a smartphone owner - Apple"

I think it's more of a phenomena that iOS is catching on in Japan. What they call usable is quite different than say Europe and/or North America. But the simplification for something that is supposed to be a convergence of media, contacts, phone calls, gaming, et al and as it stands, iPhone was doing it in a simpler manner than most. Did others do it even more simple, yes they did.

But marketing said Apple's efforts were simpler and people believed it "just worked". There are a ton of other factors, but a streamlined, uniform UI/UX was what got the ball rolling, but the media, software, OS and other parts all contributed to that success - distribution also had to be in place, Nokia dismantled their distribution (online stores gone, stores in the North American market gone... I have to buy via Amazon or some other 3rd party). And ultimately... Apple walked in to the carriers and successfully made them deal with them on their terms. Nokia was not successful at this outside of Europe.

That's my take. Feel free to dissect, but each point above is where Nokia is failing or have failed.
All of the above but just a little more...

It is true that many of us Europeans prefer the simplicity of the iphone and android devices these days. People will always be attracted to the latest and greatest mobile handsets but they are often used as a way to be with the "me too" crowd for bragging rights. (and I mean that in the nicest possible way)

However nearly every European also has a Nokia device that we can't seem to part with. Granted that many of them will be older handsets now and stuffed away in their junk draw, but they are loved. These phones are generally seen as their reliable "back up" phones and if you were to ask them what was the best phone they ever owned? They would still point to that device and follow it up with an anecdote of how "from all of the phones they have owned, their aging indestructible Nokia that still works today even after they dropped it down the toilet and drove over it too, is still the best phone to date".

Now I accept that what I have said is a huge generalisation but as a European who has ever spoken about old phones to friends colleagues and wider social circles, I have heard similar stories over and over again.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen