Active Topics

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Why not simply buy a big screen android while waiting for the update?
Had I wanted one, I cud have got not just one on the money I spent one on Jolla.

And I a not a big screen fan either. Still feel that the best size for a phone is that of the N9.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Just relax and wait u10
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Just relax and wait u10
Do you live in the woods?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Hey Coderus, am not just waiting for the next update, but also for you next Whatsapp client. Am still using Mitaakuulu. Thank you for all your efforts.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Could it be you've just bought a second-hand lemon meet.vino?

I have none of the issues you're complaining of. I'm not saying others haven't had issues with batteries not being held firmly causing restarts or haptics failing or other issues, but, there are lots of people that love the hardware and have had zero issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Do you live in the woods?
it's not my place, it's sailfishos place

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Does it mean that it is only for geeks and not for common man who want to use the phone mostly for calling, taking pictures, may be listen to a few songs and browse the internet?
No, it doesn't mean.

Swipe UI, without buttons, is to please the common users, not geeks. Swipe UI is unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc.

All the above tasks were done easily with Nokia N900, N9 and now Jolla smartphone. I don't have any problem at all to use them for those tasks. So in your words and reasoing, a common man can use Jolla smartphone.

Call drops is an ugly thing (may be only a few unlucky ones like me experience going by so many being surprised that it is happening) and browsing the internet is something most would agree is not an experience you could truly be satisfied with.
Even older Sailfish version on Nexus 4 didn't give me the above problems.

So what good is a phone to a layman with all the " desktop Linux features, like shell (bash, etc), GNU utilities, repositories and dependencies (so libraries and softwares are reused by other softwares), many programming languages (C/C++, Python, etc, which you can use on device), Terminal, etc, without any need of third-party software, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it was the first mobile OS to have Qt 5, Qt Quick 2, Wayland, and it continues to be so, unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;
- it supports Jolla Other Half covers, with in/out electrical connections (I2C communication, etc), totally unlike Android, iOS, WP, etc;" if it doesn't do what a basic phone is supposed to do?
I've cited the above unlike features because were are in Talk Maemo.org, where many users like Linux-like smartphones (Maemo 5, MeeGo Harmattan) and Qt softwares.

For a common user, I would cite as advantages of Sailfish :
- swipe UI with gestures instead of buttons;
- reduced battery use compared to Android (3 days instead of 1 on my Nexus 4);
- real live and full multitasking, able to see up to 9 softwares running at once, without the mobile OS closing sofwares at will;
- NSA free as Jolla has no connection with USA "secret" laws.

I've had a cousin using Nokia N900 without any interest in Linux, Terminal, Gtk/Qt, Python, etc. He used it as a qwerty smartphone and as very happy with it for some years.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
@bockersjv I think you misinterpret @Morpog statements, SailFishOS is just more than a year old, although it is based on Mer/Nemo it brings lots of new stuff and direct comparison on maturity with other mobile OSes need to bear that in mind. What I can see tho is that with each new release (yes new release, despite blunders) SailFish is getting better and better no doubt.

Native apps for SailFishOS have to be written from scratch, not an easy task, Jolla has limited resources and cannot pay others developing apps. Take for example Mitakuuluu, full featured WA for SailfishOS, WA does not like third part apps, and at the same time is not interested to develop an official app for this platform, unless ...? I use the phone on daily basis and I hvae not installed any android apps.

Some ppl complain for reboots, I think this is some h/w issue, e.g. faulty battery, but again to be honest a small company like Jolla cannot have access to exotic h/w, unlike N9 and N900.

I believe I got it from a man who was a very decent person who even offered to return the money, when he wasn't able to find any one who would ship the phone with the Lithium Ion battery initially and even waived off about $80 when at last he was able to find some one. So I don't think I was sold a phone that had issues, at least not intentionally. But sometimes I do get that feeling. What bothers me is that when I go to various forums I find people narrating almost the same issues and it makes me feel that the next update would resolve my issues. There have been times when I am really happy when I am able to do things on my Jolla that others aren't able to do, (the peep thing for example!). My Jolla does work beautifully sometimes, but is not consistent.

[QUOTE=rcolistete;1451893]. So in your words and reasoing, a common man can use Jolla smartphone.

Never doubted it, that's why I bought one!

For a common user, I would cite as advantages of Sailfish :
- swipe UI with gestures instead of buttons;
- reduced battery use compared to Android (3 days instead of 1 on my Nexus 4);
- real live and full multitasking, able to see up to 9 softwares running at once, without the mobile OS closing sofwares at will;
- NSA free as Jolla has no connection with USA "secret" laws.

I thot I was discussing Sailfish on a Jolla, rather than Sailfish on a Nexus 4, which happens to have a 2 GB RAmM and a faster chipset.

I've had a cousin using Nokia N900 without any interest in Linux, Terminal, Gtk/Qt, Python, etc. He used it as a qwerty smartphone and as very happy with it for some years.

And thats exactly how I want to use my Jolla.