well, I tested GPSJinni and I'm getting just as much data as my N95, at least 4 concurrent satellites with signal strength of 60% or more.

Maybe this is simply a software issue. I know the N95 is symbian and is a complete different monster, but if the N900 has almost identical GPS readings, perhaps the software involved to determine the "fix" isn't working properly.

Oh well, at least I know the GPS *does* work. Maybe a future patch will fix this.

Ok, so I think I've managed to find a solution, or a way to make it work reliably.

It's pretty much what everyone else has done, letting the phone pick up the signal (with another app like GPSJinni) and then use Ovi Maps. I've noticed a thing though, the phone will rapidly pick up the fix for as long as I don't reboot it. If I do, I have to leave the phone somewhere close to an open window, and leave it alone for 15 minutes or so to get the signal again.

I'm guessing the phone doesn't keep the "almanacs" or something of that nature after a reboot. It's a simple guess, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So far, I've had the GPS working all day. It even picks up a "coarse signal" (according to Location) inside buildings and other closed spaces. Overall it seems to be working quite nicely. I'd only wish we had a native Google Maps application instead of the sluggish Ovi Maps.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
[QUOTE=kafates;476567...and now im very disappointed coz u have to connect to the internet otherwise it wont work.../QUOTE]

humbly disagree, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38872 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38405

bun

I tried to use GPSJinni... it found 4 satellites but it's not able to fix..what does it mean?Still a sw problem or it could be something more serious like a HW one?

Thank you

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by MaRRo81 View Post
I tried to use GPSJinni... it found 4 satellites but it's not able to fix..what does it mean?Still a sw problem or it could be something more serious like a HW one?

Thank you
I am on the first floor of a two story industrial building where I work.
I am using my N800 with an external bluetooth gps receiver. Running GPSjinnii at first I get only 4 satellites (each with over 50% signal) and I get no fix. After a couple of minutes I get seven satellites and get a "fix". From what I have read on this forum, an external bluetooth gps receiver works much better than the internal gps receiver in the N810 and N900.

Name:  GPS fix at work.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  25.1 KB

The yellow square is the saved POI of my work address, and the red dot is the "live" position of my GPS fix.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2010-01-28 at 17:01.

Hi,

I'm having problems with my n900's gps... it keeps searching for ever left it for hours and hours outside in an open area without any success....

any help pls??

tried everything even downloading ecouch so that it keeps searching for gps but no success.... is their any application to check how many satellites are locked like with my N95.

Please help!!!

Thanks..

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by drinu88 View Post
tried everything even downloading ecouch so that it keeps searching for gps but no success.... is their any application to check how many satellites are locked like with my N95.
I'll help you help yourself: have a look in the bug reporting system, the GPS has more than one entry. Please only add comments there if you have new and relevant information, metoo's are not welcome.

The location-test tool is mentioned in the bug reports and I recommend that you read them carefully, so you won't waste time repeating tests already done by other people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aboaboit For This Useful Post:
Trying to install the location.deb but cant seem to be inputing it correctly in x terminal any help?

I saved it under Documents on internal memory on the phone.

i'm typing the followin..

dpkg -i /Nokia\ N900/Documents/location.deb

but it's saying no such file or directory..

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
If it's under Documents in the file manager you should use dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/location.deb (Stuff in MyDocs is what's under "Nokia N900", and Documents is actually a hidden folder that shows up with a different name in the file manager).

The Following User Says Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
that's great it worked perfectly and now getting the gps to lock amazing lol THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
lack of quality control