Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
If Smeegol doesn't exist anymore, no one's going to be making MeeGo available to non-Intel x86 CPUs
Smeegol had the fatal flaw of not actually being MeeGo.

Making MeeGo on top of openSUSE was a great idea for x86.
The problem there is that MeeGo is not the UI, but the underlying layers. The UI is just a reference. Slapping the MeeGo netbook UI on top of openSUSE does not make it MeeGo, and that's where the trademark fuss started.

openSUSE has a lot of what it would take to make an ARM version in place with their build service, but they haven't chosen to do so yet.
You mean like the ARM builds that are coming out daily?

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I was just thinking that if Nokia isn't doing work on it anymore, Intel probably isn't going to be maintaining it for the ARM architecture..
You're assuming Nokia is actually giving up on contributing to MeeGo ARM. Keep in mind we're about ~15 people working on Nokia N900 hardware adaptation which includes maintaining MeeGo Core for ARM. Most of this is hardware adaptation, ARM porting we've done the hard parts for already.

Here's my own bet (before my contract may be brutally cut and all my analysis doesn't matter anyway):

If Nokia is still interested even in a 'learning' platform, they need a MeeGo base that they can take and adapt to new kinds of prototypes. This practically means having a X86 and ARM port kept alive. ARM isn't going away from device point of view any time soon.

The good news about the ARM port is that it's stable. It's actually quite good (on par with X86 port). Let me list the assets that actually exists that's being maintained:

* Toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils) - practically == Linaro release 2010.09. We don't really need a toolchain team, just packagers.

* QEMU binary emulator for ARM. Work in this is common across many distributions including Ubuntu and openSUSE.

* OBS support is maintained by Linux Foundation and openSUSE

* Fixing package build failures (anyone can do that with half a brain)

* MIC2/image builder support for ARM (maintained by our team)

* QA on top of that, not very ARM specific as such.

Basically. MeeGo on ARM is likely to continue. And it's quite nice to build products with.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
"Markkinoille tulee vuoden lopussa yksi Meego tuote.."
"One Meego product will come to market towards the end of the year."

From Stephen "The flop" Elop interview in yesterdays Helsingin Sanomat.

Not coming any time soon. I'm pretty sure that it will receive no marketing support, no push to carriers and thanks to Ovi Store being sacrificed to Windows Market, it will also receive no commercial software. Low sales will be good excuse to kill whatever Meego resources Nokia will have left at that time.

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-02-13 at 08:27.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You're assuming Nokia is actually giving up on contributing to MeeGo ARM. Keep in mind we're about ~15 people working on Nokia N900 hardware adaptation which includes maintaining MeeGo Core for ARM. Most of this is hardware adaptation, ARM porting we've done the hard parts for already.

Here's my own bet (before my contract may be brutally cut and all my analysis doesn't matter anyway):

If Nokia is still interested even in a 'learning' platform, they need a MeeGo base that they can take and adapt to new kinds of prototypes. This practically means having a X86 and ARM port kept alive. ARM isn't going away from device point of view any time soon.

The good news about the ARM port is that it's stable. It's actually quite good (on par with X86 port). Let me list the assets that actually exists that's being maintained:

* Toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils) - practically == Linaro release 2010.09. We don't really need a toolchain team, just packagers.

* QEMU binary emulator for ARM. Work in this is common across many distributions including Ubuntu and openSUSE.

* OBS support is maintained by Linux Foundation and openSUSE

* Fixing package build failures (anyone can do that with half a brain)

* MIC2/image builder support for ARM (maintained by our team)

* QA on top of that, not very ARM specific as such.

Basically. MeeGo on ARM is likely to continue. And it's quite nice to build products with.
What about Nokia's proprietary UI thing for MeeGo? Did it ever exist? Did anyone see it?

What about the closed packages? Will they open it?

It would be good to see [a stable & usable] MeeGo running on N900 hardware atleast.

Stskeeps, I hope they keep you around. I know, it's the decision pending from the parent company (read: Microsoft) though.

Best Wishes... Cheers,

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
What about Nokia's proprietary UI thing for MeeGo? Did it ever exist? Did anyone see it?

What about the closed packages? Will they open it?
Don't know, I work on MeeGo.com side, that gives along a certain blessing of ignorance.

It would be good to see [a stable & usable] MeeGo running on N900 hardware atleast.

Stskeeps, I hope they keep you around. I know, it's the decision pending from the parent company (read: Microsoft) though.
I hope we'll be able to get N900 HW adaptation to a decent level even with this announcement (come on, we even have camera working now..), but I think contributions from everybody is the most important right now, as we might be running out of time.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
sts, is meego 1.2 build still on track for april-ish?

Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
sts, is meego 1.2 build still on track for april-ish?
Check meego-commits mailing list, we sure look like we're still in business.

I'm still working too, until further notice. And if anything, getting MeeGo 1.2 ARM to release makes for a lot of possibilities in future work for a lot of people.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Check meego-commits mailing list, we sure look like we're still in business.

I'm still working too, until further notice. And if anything, getting MeeGo 1.2 ARM to release makes for a lot of possibilities in future work for a lot of people.
Still working? OR did elop kill the project?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Still working? OR did elop kill the project?
You asked, and I checked...

Absolutely UnBelievable.

The n900 has already been murdered and buried in the marketplace,
and yet there still exists active code development based on it.

from
http://download.meego.com/trunk-dail...9.1.20110401.1

sensorfw-0.6.36-8.6
-------------------
* Thu Mar 31 05:00:00 2011 Markus Lehtonen <markus.lehtonen@nokia.com> - 0.6.36
- Added sensord-rx_51.modules file to load required kernel modules before
sensord starts on N900. Required to fix BMC#11699.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This thread is CLOSED!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz