Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
To Harmattan alpha, beta or whatever? Don't know. Think they mentioned some things on Maemo Summit but I forget what.
Harmattan Alpha SDK in 2010Q1, but I guess MeeGo threw a wrench or to into that plan.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
This is to fill the gap between Fremantle lifetime being up and a quite usable MeeGo (RPM) on N900. Most people will be fine with Fremantle updates, some want the newest of the newest.

Also, what qgil said:

The first thing is to see if this initiative can deliver something technically usable and useful, with a real user demand beyind the usual tinkerers.
I understand all your points - but I have to wonder. MeeGo 1.1 should be the first stable Handset release due at and near the same time as the Harmattan phone.

Thus, I would think anyway, that anything lacking in MeeGo 1.1 could be stolen from the open parts of Harmattan - sure - to produce a workable, usable, and ready product at about the same time as Harmattan comes out. (They seem to be moving quite quickly with MeeGo, if they stick to the deadlines).

I also would think, from a technical POV (addressing the qgil statement), it would be easier to grab components from Harmattan and use them on MeeGo (already ported and running on the N900) than to port the full Harmattan OS/Stack to the N900 after it is opened up.

So I guess that's where I sort of have to wonder if it's really that worth it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Harmattan Alpha SDK in 2010Q1, but I guess MeeGo threw a wrench or to into that plan.
Indeed. MeeGo Handset UX open development is the first in the queue.

Sorry, I can't give concrete dates about MeeGo-Harmattan but at least you can count on this dependency.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
This thread about taking the DEB base (so maemo), adding MeeGo compat layer, and adding the MeeGo/Harmattan Handset UX. That is what Harmattan will be on the next device.

Now, this leads into my question:

Why? Don't get me wrong - I think it's cool to have this project/idea and when Harmattan does open up porting it might be fun... but still - why?
You answered the question yourself!

When MeeGo-Harmattan is launchedd next to a new Nokia device many people with an N900 will say: I want that! The "MeeGo-Harmattan Community Edition" will be the closest option for N900 users (and nobody knows today how close that be).

Even if MeeGo from meego.com is available for the N900 and shares an API compatible layer, Ovi Maps and other closed binaries in that MeeGo-Harmattan will be available only as debs. Not easy to make them run on top of plain MeeGo (rpm and slightly different middleware), I would say.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Even if MeeGo from meego.com is available for the N900 and shares an API compatible layer, Ovi Maps and other closed binaries in that MeeGo-Harmattan will be available only as debs. Not easy to make them run on top of plain MeeGo (rpm and slightly different middleware), I would say.
Thanks, makes a little more sense.

But is there a way to prevent a deb from being extracted and repackaged?

I mean.. if Ovi Maps is out there in a deb we can get our hands on - it should be packageable to RPM.

But.. the middleware brings up a good point I guess. If the drivers/software/whatever that interfaces to the actual GPS device, or the telephone stack is different (I doubt you can answer this, is ofono whats going to be used in Harmattan - or will it be like Maemo 5?) - then there may be some software that just flat out won't work. It could probably be ported and "run".. but fail to actually do anything because something important is missing.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I also would think, from a technical POV (addressing the qgil statement), it would be easier to grab components from Harmattan and use them on MeeGo (already ported and running on the N900) than to port the full Harmattan OS/Stack to the N900 after it is opened up.
From a process point of view, we benefit from all the testing being done to Harmattan as well. With exceptions to the community parts where we do our own community testing.

Which is a good reason for not taking the 'port harmattan content to meego (rpm)' direction. Admittedly, it is tempting from a technical point of view, but I think it's better for end users to go for the 'port Harmattan to N900.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Maemo 6 codenamed Harmattan was independent development from Nokia.

Moblin was an independent development known as Moblin.

Nokia and intel said 'f*** us, we are both developing our own linux distros (Maemo and Moblin), why not develop just one base together and we can add multiple UXes on top'

Harmattan project is continuing because it was in a point of no return on it's way to a handset that'll be out somewhere in H2 2010. Some of the software needed in MeeGo to be MeeGo compliant will be from Harmattan, I think.

MeeGo is a project from Linux Foundation and N900 is the reference handset/ARM platform for that development.

This is how I see it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You are not wrong, as you said, f*** us customers, let's go another way since Maemo 5 was a totally failure!! That's the real message... prove me wrong, I dare you!!

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-05-29 at 07:40. Reason: insult removed

Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
You are not wrong, as you said, f*** us customers, let's go another way since Maemo 5 was a totally failure!! That's the real message... prove me wrong, I dare you!!
Good job on the totally irrational and offensive post. You're the one making the assertion, -YOU PROVE IT-.

EDIT: I removed the insult from the quotation. -sjgadsby

And in reference to whom you quoted, he's probably completely right. Duplicating effort in the mobile front like Nokia and Intel were doing was a complete waste of time, money, and resources. Putting it under the Linux Foundation banner ensures that we don't have to question the motives of the developer (see Android) when utilizing it.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-05-29 at 07:42. Reason: insult removed from quotation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Thanks, makes a little more sense.
But is there a way to prevent a deb from being extracted and repackaged?
I mean.. if Ovi Maps is out there in a deb we can get our hands on - it should be packageable to RPM.
The point here is Nokia worrying about N900 user base or not, simple like that... They just don't seem to care about Ovi Maps on N900, since Maemo 5 is definitely destined to death, along with N900. Meego is the way to go, f*** off customer base....

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Just to make this clear the original quote was based on this.

It was in reference to Nokia talking to themselves.
JSA povided a useful answer by paraphrasing and correcting my post.
The "F*** us" is Nokia and Intel/moblin referring to themselves.

Brusso_pr was feebly trying to twist the meaning of the quote to infer something else.

@Brusso_pr: I really don't think you have anything meaningful to add to this discussion.

In fact you add a sense of irony to the title "N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan release from Nokia"

Tags
harmattan, meego