Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
HA! I knew you'd get one too.
Already unlocked, rooted, flashed CWM recovery aaaaaand... well.. checking to see how apps behave. Overall--pretty nifty. NICE speed, VERY nice screen--incredibly nice screen, that speaker is LOOOOUD--and kinda, sorta bass-worthy too! I love it! Almost makes up for that anemic speaker on the Galaxy Nexus. Almost. It's even louder than my old Galaxy Tab 7 and that was pretty loud as it is.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Already unlocked, rooted, flashed CWM recovery aaaaaand... well.. checking to see how apps behave. Overall--pretty nifty. NICE speed, VERY nice screen--incredibly nice screen, that speaker is LOOOOUD--and kinda, sorta bass-worthy too! I love it! Almost makes up for that anemic speaker on the Galaxy Nexus. Almost. It's even louder than my old Galaxy Tab 7 and that was pretty loud as it is.
I'm actually going to resist rooting this one. I still have the Xoom that's rooted running Team EOS Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (build 121 as of this morning) and going to use this one to actually view movies and books. Movies tend to be blocked when you're rooted.

I know... I know. odd. But I'm going to go as vanilla stock on this one for a while until the dust clears. And besides, I'm not in a rush to reinstall things because I've unlocked and rooted it. The ADB way of unlocking seems to kill all user data (I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I've seen so far).

All in all, I'm enjoying the Nexus 7. I thought the form factor would be a problem.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm actually going to resist rooting this one. I still have the Xoom that's rooted running Team EOS Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (build 121 as of this morning) and going to use this one to actually view movies and books. Movies tend to be blocked when you're rooted.

I know... I know. odd. But I'm going to go as vanilla stock on this one for a while until the dust clears. And besides, I'm not in a rush to reinstall things because I've unlocked and rooted it. The ADB way of unlocking seems to kill all user data (I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I've seen so far).

All in all, I'm enjoying the Nexus 7. I thought the form factor would be a problem.
I've never heard anyone point that out to me before (movies not working if you're rooted). While rooted, I successfully played movies through Crackle, Netflix and Google's own Play store with no problems at all. On a technical note--I'm not sure why they wouldn't work. How can any app tell that you're rooted (considering everything STILL looks locked down, even when you're rooted, unless you give an app permission to see superuser access). In any case, I didn't see any problems at all! Feel free to root and enjoy your flicks!

Also... ADB doesn't root the device, it's the fastboot that lets you install CWM... which then lets you install a superuser app (i.e. root). But yeah.. installing the CWM will blow away the user data and /sdcard data (i.e. nearly back to stock with some exceptions). You're always recommended to make a backup of stuff anyway (ala Titanium).

What did you think was wrong with the form factor?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-07-20 at 07:02.

AHHHH

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_411_...-news-4542.php
Not bad for an almost two year old phone

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I've never heard anyone point that out to me before (movies not working if you're rooted). While rooted, I successfully played movies through Crackle, Netflix and Google's own Play store with no problems at all. On a technical note--I'm not sure why they wouldn't work. How can any app tell that you're rooted (considering everything STILL looks locked down, even when you're rooted, unless you give an app permission to see superuser access). In any case, I didn't see any problems at all! Feel free to root and enjoy your flicks!
Since I had a Xoom, this is what I ran into: read more here.

I ran smack dab into the Error 49.

Also... ADB doesn't root the device, it's the fastboot that lets you install CWM... which then lets you install a superuser app (i.e. root). But yeah.. installing the CWM will blow away the user data and /sdcard data (i.e. nearly back to stock with some exceptions). You're always recommended to make a backup of stuff anyway (ala Titanium).
Yeah, that's what I meant in terms of doing it the ADB way as opposed to the all-in-one method/exe I found, the single click method (nothing was easier than Odin for my Samsung devices) but honestly? I'm still gonna stay straight and continue to hack the ever-living daylights out of the Xoom.

It's up to 1.7ghz now, safely and nicely.

What did you think was wrong with the form factor?
Too small, too low of a resolution. No longer a prob (resolution).

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I haven't posted in a while so I will do some catching up. Anyways I upgraded from 3.2 to 4.1.1 on my HTC Flyer I couldn't believe how little has changed other than performance and graphic improvements. Also I found a device that might be of interest to many people the photon q 4g lte it has a 5 row keyboard, ICS(mostly stock with a few enhancements) 1.5ghz dual core s4 proc, 4.3" screen, and it apparently has GSM roaming despite being on sprint.
this is the high end slider you are looking for
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Mot...-4G-LTE_id7253
Another high end slider with GS3 type specs
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/s...n-august-15th/
Also the Galaxy note 10.1 is coming soon I think I will pick one up
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/25160/...eek/index.html

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This is pretty nice...Go ubuntu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=F6_Oo-lKVUM

would be nice if samsung did the same with android and tizen.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
For those folks that keep shouting that Android isn't Linux...
Android and Linux re-merge into one operating system
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...g-system/10625

FTA:

"The fork between Android and Linux all began in the fall of 2010, 'Google engineer Patrick Brady stated that Android is not Linux.' That was never actually the case. Android has always been Linux at heart."

"Things continued to go along much faster then anyone had foreseen. By December, Kroah-Hartman could write, 'by the 3.3 kernel release, the majority of the Android code will be merged, but more work is still left to do to better integrate the kernel and userspace portions in ways that are more palatable to the rest of the kernel community. That will take longer, but I don't foresee any major issues involved.' He was right."

"Today, you can compile the Android code in Linux 3.3 and it will boot. Still, as Kroah-Hartman warned, WakeLocks, still aren't in the main kernel, but even that's getting worked on. For all essential purposes, Android and Linux are back together again."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Well Android isn't Linux. Its an OS that shares a similar kernel.

With Android 5.0 Google is attempting to use the mainline kernel, or at least a version that's barely tempered.

This means you can reboot to a boot manager and dualboot between Android and Native Ubuntu (or another distro).

Won't work for Samsung, HTC, Motorola phones. Maybe just AOSP/Nexus devices and maybe SONY.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Well Android isn't Linux. Its an OS that shares a similar kernel.
Yes, Linux kernel <> Linux distribution. Android doesn't have glibc (only a simplified and incompatible one, Bionic), X Windows, dependencies, etc. Any Linux/Android developer know the difficult to port Linux projects to Android due to these limitations. And the user doesn't have the full Linux multi-tasking in Android.

Anyway, it is nice to have the same kernel so it is easier to boot Linux in some Android devices (without chroot, real boot). I am trying Android 4.0.4 & LUbuntu 12.04 on a Mini-PC (MiniX H24 & MK802), Linux runs faster than Android.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy