Active Topics

Notices

I've just installed Claws-Mail and it appears to be just what I needed to keep me using this phone as I completely had it with the standard mail client.

I just have a few things I can't get my head around.

1. the adressbook. How can I get to my contacts? I see an option for vCards and I exported mine, just can't seem to find out how to import them. The manual says I can import vCards of my contacts by using "Book/New vCard" but I have no clue where to find that.

2. There is an option to have a flashing led when a new mail arrives. This does not work for me. Anyone else have more succes? I prefer my phone to make as little sound as possible and I totally depend on the led for SMS's, missed calls etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the manual seems to be geared towards the desktop version.

Backwards answer:
the flashing led works - I don't know why yours doesn't
but check settings -> notification light ?
I have mine set to light up for email and I never ever use Modest
but the light always shows up when claws get an email.

addresses - I never use an address book (too lazy I guess)
but you can harvest addresses under tools>collect email addresses

you should also be able to import emails from Modest,
haven't done it but the emails are in /home/user/.modest/
but no promises there...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Thank you so much for pointing me towards Claws-mail and the quick reply in this thread!

I didn't have the led signal ticked on for mail in the phone settings itself. So that fixed it.

So the only thing left is the vCard importing as hoarding the mailadresses from my inbox doesn't do it for me, I don't need all the spam adresses in my adressbook and mails I can reply to I already have the mailadress of. But a minor issue that won't stop me from using it.

Too bad development has stopped for the N900, with some finger friendly GUI improvements, a desktop widget and integration with agenda and contacts it would been perfect.

But anyone having problems with Modest, get Claws!

The Following User Says Thank You to Timstertoo For This Useful Post:
I've just checked the desktop version of claws-mail, and the address book has a menu bar from which you can choose to import a vCard. Unfortunately, this menu bar doesn't exist in maemo version.
As a solution, you can install claws-email on your computer (there is linux and win versions available), import all the addresses you need and then just copy all the files from the folder addrbook to your phone, it should be in:
/home/user/.claws-mail/addrbook/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivanrajkovic For This Useful Post:
Great advice!

So now my new challenge is finding a way to get it out of Outlook 2010 and into Claws.

Of course there is no simple import/export solution so I'm still sussing out how to get there. Google is my friend though and I have still quite some pages to work through before I'm stuck.

So just a quick reply to say thanks!

claws-mail =) The only mobile email solution that meets my needs (multiple POP accounts + heavy filtering). There is nothing close on android. claw-mail is one of the strongest reasons to keep my n810 & n900 running.

claw's address book? I never use it, I looked into it a long time ago, but I just don't need it.

With just some minor path tweaking you can move all of claws settings/filters between devices. I setup my Ubuntu netbook's claw-mail with copied files from my n900 =D

Exporting from Outlook? Terrible, at least as of 2004. Totally "Hotel California"/"Roach Motel".

The Following User Says Thank You to ashes For This Useful Post: