Notices

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
When i was a kid my introduction to programming was QuickBasic, later i've used many different languages and many editors and IDEs; but many still lacked certain aspects that IMO made things much easier in the QB IDE, things like being able to split the screen and edit different parts of the code simultaneouslly, the help system incorporated into the editor and the way it was designed (things like each command having a simplified description, a complete description, an examples section, see also/related etc; the hypertext like nature etc), that instant command thing in the bottom, automaticly providing a subprograms/functions "TOC" in GUI, the way it would automaticly separate the main code and the subprograms/functions, the easyness to load additional modules and lots other things.

I'm starting to play with Python on my N900, PyGTKEditor is nice and all, but somthing that mimics the QB editor would be great for me, both due to the features and due to the familiarity factor. Perhaps it could even be done with ncurses, both to look more like the QB editor as well as for the oldschool/l33t feel and for making it easy to customize font size and interface colors etc.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
this would be cool, of course you can use dosbox and then qbasic, but if you are trying to make anything that actually requires any processing power then it will not be a good option.

I would also like to have QB, i began back in the days programming on my C128/64 and then QB, and since it never took any steps to a "serious" programmer i actually still use it some times , only other basic i used was liberty basic, it was kinda the same as QB.

Actually, i'm asking for an editor that works like the QB editor, but for Python instead of QuickBasic.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
If you like PyGTKEditor, i can suggest you to use KhtEditor (Which is a rewrite of PyGTKEditor in Qt with more feature like python syntax checking) for n900. But it s not like QB IDE which i didn't know.

"things like being able to split the screen and edit different parts of the code simultaneouslly". Strange idea for small screen like n900.

Keeping python module under 1500 lines of code is a pep8 recommandation. And you can edit simultaneously different file.

Back then console screens were 80x25 characters, that doesn't look all that hard to read on the N900's screen

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Back then console screens were 80x25 characters, that doesn't look all that hard to read on the N900's screen
hey don't forget 'QB.EXE -H' this put quickbasic in 80x50 which i liked.

What i mean is the split screen thing worked even at such low resolution

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
The DOS based C IDE i used in the late 80s or early 90s also had splitscreen in normal DOS resolution. Worked fine too.

Tags
editor, python, qb4.5, quickbasic, request