Active Topics

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Is there a proven method that allows us N8XX users to watch NetFlix movies on our devices? Rumor has it that it might be posible after installing the Fennec browser. At present, I do not have 27mb of memory available for the installation. Can the N900 view NetFlix movies?

Update: I installed Fennec and when I try to watch a movie, Netflix still gives the message "streaming is not supported for your operating system".

Also, after uninstalling Fennec make sure that you also uninstall Xulrunner which was loaded along with Fennec and uses 16mb of application memory.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2010-10-28 at 18:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Maybe gvdown can do it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think you can even view Netflix movies in Linux at all, can you? Even with Wine?

I'm sure that doing something as simple as trying it with Fennec will NOT work unless something elaborate is done. There's an add-on that emulates Windows Explorer, but not in a non-Windows environment.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I have NOT tried netFlix on N800 or N900. I am using ORB to stream whatever/liveTV and it is very watchable. ORB recode-encode on the fly and stream to your N900/N800. It is also transparant to users. I have tried ORB on N800 and it is also running fine. If NetFlix is doing similar to what I am doing, I do not see why there would be a problem. ORB has a pretty large forum and eager to help.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-10-28 at 17:12.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't think you can even view Netflix movies in Linux at all, can you?
If memory serves, there is a way of getting Netflix videos playing on x86 Linux using Moonlight plus some proprietary, closed source bits downloaded from Microsoft. Those Microsoft binaries are x86-only though, so ARMEL Linux can't use the same trick.

Sorry, Den.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
I don't think you can even view Netflix movies in Linux at all, can you? Even with Wine?

I'm sure that doing something as simple as trying it with Fennec will NOT work unless something elaborate is done. There's an add-on that emulates Windows Explorer, but not in a non-Windows environment.
You are right. Fennec does not do it.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
I doubt the N8x0 has the power to process it anyways.
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

The Following User Says Thank You to Mgamerz For This Useful Post:
You don't need a windows environment for it.. You can watch netflix on iphones and Ipods.. its all about DRM's(microsoft) ... linux cannot have silverlight(which netflix uses for browsers) & moonlight is not enough but now as it has been ported for iOS's
I'm pretty sure netflix people will work on a way to port it to linux and once its there.. someone will be able to port it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I've been assuming that we are talking about Instant Watch movies, BTW, but it's not specifically mentioned above. Of course other movies from Netflix would work, they are just movies like any other.

I googled around and indications are that few if any people are viewing Instant Watch Netflix movies in any brand of Linux.

I've been assuming that we are talking about Instant Watch movies, BTW, but it's not specifically mentioned above. Of course other movies from Netflix would work, they are just movies like any other.

I googled around and indications are that few if any people are viewing Instant Watch Netflix movies in any brand of Linux.
the only way i know of is to use a virtual box or vmware. install windows... if you know of a different way.. pls do lemme know

The Following User Says Thank You to PathFinder@9GS For This Useful Post: