Poll: What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM
Poll Options
What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
That other thread has already gotten quite huge.. I made it about half way before I decided I'd have to go back...
that's why I started a new thread - so that this specific point doesn't get lost in the endless thread.
But I must agree that the switch to RPM is rather upsetting. I've never met an RPM-based distro that was as standards compliant and easy to manage as a debian based distro....
I think it's an advantage for users that Debian maintainers are supposed to be a bit pedantic...

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
I'm posting to mention that Intel now own WindRiver, and that WindRiver's Linux platform build tools are RPM based.

I wonder if this might be relevant, and if they might adapt the WindRiver Linux platform builder for use in Meego?

Personally, I prefer Debian derived distros and don't run anything RedHatish on any of my boxen. I'm concerned for the future of our community, the distro(s) and the devices we have. Today doesn't feel like a good day in that respect.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
I'm not entirely happy about the new base either, but I guess it could be worse. It'll still be a proper distro, but now with more support.

Is there any chance we could still vote on this somehow?

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Moblin is based on Fedora. They switched from Ubuntu last year.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2068665492.html
Mandriva was based on Red Hat at one point. PCLinuxOS was based no Mandriva at one point. PCLinuxOS is not based on Red Hat. You can create a distro from scratch if you want. Or you can chose to start with an existing one and go from there. What you do from there is up to you. You can choose to closely follow the original one or you can chose to go on your own. What matters is that you execute well. No need to sow FUD.

correct, but is that a good reason to drop support for thousands of packages which have been fixed or adapted by the Debian community for the last few years?
Did I say it was? Did any one say it was. I don't think that had any thing to do with the decision. I am sure it was a factor that was considered and it was determined that it did not mattered enough. After all, Debian is not the only distro with thousands of apps in its repositories. Apps that are worthwhile are available on any of the many popular high quality distros. In my laptop I currently run PClinuxOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mandriva. I can run any app I want on any of them. So, I only switch between them to test stuff. For pleasure, I run PCLinuxOS.

the standards Maemo has been using so far and the community is used to will be gone.
Can you be more specific?

Should we all learn and modify our software to follow the Fedora standards for no good reason?
What Fedora standards? Are you a developer? What dramatic change are you talking about?

packages from one distribibution cannot be simply installed on another distribution.
Hmm, well yes. That is usually how it works. However, if packages are built using the Standard Base they usually work fine. For example, Adobe releases its color profiles for Linux in RPM format. They install just fine in Fedora, Mandriva, and PCLinuxOS (I haven't tried in Ubuntu).

If you try do that you get same problems that Redhat users had in the early years,
when they installed RPMs from the wild.
And the same is true for debs.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turku, Finland
I for myself am against the Fedoraish stuff, maybe just because I am used to debian distros, but for instance, what will happen to easy-debian, will we have easy-fedora?

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Mandriva was based on Red Hat at one point. PCLinuxOS was based no Mandriva at one point. PCLinuxOS is not based on Red Hat. You can create a distro from scratch if you want. Or you can chose to start with an existing one and go from there. What you do from there is up to you. You can choose to closely follow the original one or you can chose to go on your own. What matters is that you execute well. No need to sow FUD.
Exactly.. and this is the problem I personally have.

I have managed Mandriva, SuSE, CentOS/RHEL, Red Hat and Fedora up through 12.

It is a bi*** moving from one of the other of these rpm-based distro's and trying to find configuration files, settings, etc. None of them seem to talk to eachother in any way to determine how they're going to run their own sandbox and it's a total mess.

I have also managed Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, and several distro's based from these at core.

Moving from one to the other of these is nearly seamless.. you can use the (arguably) best documentation for linux over at the Gentoo project to work your way around a Debian system. All of these place things in a similar way on the filesystem and all "feel" like each other.

Now.. trying to move from any of the second category to any of the first category or vice versa is even *more* confusing.

Granted.. most 'users' wouldn't notice this.. but for someone like me that spends all of my time in a Terminal the differences are noticeable, and very annoying. RPM-based distro's have been annoying me for years.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the "RPM" packaging itself.. just like there is nothing wrong with the "DEB" packaging itself.. but for some reason: The RPM side seems to attract all the people that want to do it their way with no regard to standards of any kind... making it a nightmare for people like me.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
I for myself am against the Fedoraish stuff, maybe just because I am used to debian distros, but for instance, what will happen to easy-debian, will we have easy-fedora?
Yes, it is just that you are used to debian distros. Once you go out and try some other distros like Mandriva, OpenSuse, PCLinuxOS, etc., you will see there is no need to worry.

As for easy-debian, I don't see why it couldn't run in MeeGo.

Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
This won't change. Easy-Debian is a complete debian bootstrap on the SD card.. either in img-file format or extracted. You still can chroot into easy-debian and launch everything you need.

It's going to require some work on Qole's side to get his scripts "Meego"-ized but this will still be possible.

Technically we could have an easy-fedora or easy-mandriva on our Maemo systems if they have the right packages compiled for ARM.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Technically we could have an easy-fedora or easy-mandriva on our Maemo systems if they have the right packages compiled for ARM.
I think that sums up why I would like to keep .deb ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
I think that sums up why I would like to keep .deb ...
Keeping .deb or not will have no impact on whether Easy-Fedora, or Easy-Mandriva become available for us.

Last edited by rm42; 2010-02-15 at 20:12. Reason: Confused.

Tags
rabble-rousing, rpm vs. deb war, rpmligion vs debligion, vote attila77