Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
there is no skype in indian ver of n900 i treid globle ver but then sim was locked.and from maemo select there no optoin to install it(says preinstalled)

and now today i found skype in ovi store.i donload it ....opens app manager ...preparing to installl.... and what..it gives me "unable to install skype installer application packege not found"????

ovi is joking with indians also there has been released jurasic roler coaster!!but found it from the link which does open in ovi and gives me option to download it.any ways can anyone help me in getting skype?

Last edited by nicholes; 2010-11-12 at 17:32.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
there is no skype in indian ver of n900 i treid globle ver but then sim was locked.and from maemo select there no optoin to install it(says preinstalled)

and now today i found skype in ovi store.i donload it ....opens app manager ...preparing to installl.... and what..it gives me "unable to install skype installer application packege not found"????

ovi is joking with indians also there has been released jurasic roler coaster!!but found it from the link which does open in ovi and gives me option to download it.any ways can anyone help me in getting skype?
Even I get the same thing when I click on Skype in the Ovi Store,it says unable to install skype installer package not found.I am from India but I have flashed my phone to the global version.

Why is Skype in the Ovi store for N900 if it is built into the firmware except for the Indian firmware.

Any answers from the people on TMO?
Attached Images

ya eagerly waiting for a reply here. i use skype all the time on my lap. i dont understand the racism towards the indian n900 users.. any ideas where i can download the deb file and be on my way??

regards

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
guys are u really asking that?? i mean u really asking for skype?

good luck with searching!!!

Racism? Are you serious? Ask your government about skype.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

@ali nuff sarcasm. skip the bullcrap.. what do you mean?

@fnordianslip ya went thru the other post.. **** didnt have any clue that the govt had a play in this..

so ne idea how the indian folk can camchat?

You could simply elect a government that doesn't want to ban skype. Why do you think its not supported in the Indian firmware?

Oh, and by word of explanation, I find Indian claims of rascism offensive in contrast to what I've learned about Indian rascism towards other ethnic minorities in the UK, not absolving, of course, our appalling history of such behaviour which I can honestly state is nothing to do with me.

Maybe I'm ranting, but I tell you what, if you don't mention rascism, then neither will I!
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Is it really possible to lock a SIM card to an specific region firmware or flashing global firmware would go undetected by the SIMcard?

Btw, where can i get more details about India issues with Skype?

And since we're talking about Skype, does anyone know of a way to use Skype without risking having my voice, video and text communication be spied on? (from what i understand, Skype (the company) has means for getting the plain text of the regular encrypted communication that runs thru the Skype network, and they aren't afraid of sharing both the contents and the ability itself with lots of people that shouldn't be spying on private communications)

Skype crypto is a trade secret. Some say that its crypto confounds western governments attempts to monitor communications, but its cryptographic strength and integrity remains an unknown quantity, so it should be assumed to be compromised.

However, as a number of countries have expressed concern about the use of skype crypto, one might be tempted to assume that not every government has the capability to eavesdrop on skype traffic, after all, if they could then they would have nothing to lose (and everything to gain) by its widespread use.

My knowledge of Indian national issues with Skype comes pretty much from the BBC and IIRC Slashdot. Try this for a starter.

So the question really boils down to this: from whom do you seek to ensure secrecy, your own government or someone else's?

It's pretty much a meaningless question in this context though, as there doesn't seem to be any really 'secure' communications mechanism available to us (except for SSH and VPNs) on our N900s. Support for PGP/GPG email encryption would be a good start.
--
Beware of extras-devel.

@saminnext2u - Do u even undst what are you talking bout? skype, global firmware..racism lol, now thats an epic insult to my race.

anyways for skype to work you need global fw or the uk firmware as you guys know afterall, after flashing it , thr is no need to download it from anywhr. the option will available in settings -voip and im accounts.

skype or any other voip telephony protocol is banned in india. so lol pls dont bring racism here.

@nicholes - for jurassic roller coaster thr is a deb package available . google it . also install preenv from repository to make the game work.

update - for locked fones, try fring from repository. i have no idea its mode of work or wether it works atall

Last edited by tusharmax; 2010-11-15 at 00:11.