Notices

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I think we ALL waiting for Fremantle, as if, there is no fun before Fremantle lands. Not so.

I recently installed some apps, and think they are really cool, would like to share with the community. OK, what is the POINT? The point is, I spent time to track down these cool apps, I would like to see my efforts get rewarded, i.e., some of you would respond and post to share what fun apps you have recently installed, right? Does NOT matter even if it has been talked about, just show the community's fun apps....

Here we go:

***** Web browser
- Tear, the fastest web browser so far, hands down. Just look around the forum, installing instructions are all over the forum, including 770, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27845
- Digia @web, 2nd fastest, a little buggy, it does take sometime to load,...so be patient. very good UI, UI flash on screen momentary and disappear to increase screen real estate, the most efficient use of screen real estate. There is also onscreen button for rotation (if you installed screen rotation, see below) and scaling, very handy and useful. You do NOT have to get out from your full screen webpage to get to the taskbar of the tablet desktop. I luv it!
- Midori a nothrill web browser, works better then the one shipped with your tablet, easy installation. I think it does NOT have download capabilities, right? It just works

***** Utilities
- Screen rotation
It is real fun AND practical when browsing websites, some helpful installation instructions, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28711
- GarnetVM now has a simulated SD card support for ALL your beloved palm apps, go to the thread and follow instructions

***** Youtube viewers
- Digia @scene UI is great and have good review in its use. I, uhh..., still choking in learning how to use it,....please stop laughing
- mytube works really well, my daily use app to watch rocknrolls video of the 70s, the Monkees, Animals, Fleetwoodmac, ChickenShack.....if you hate the letterbox as much as I am, add this, it will take the letterbox away and give you full screen, very enjoyable, I use emelfm2 to edit, xterm/gainroot/emelfm2
/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
aspect=15:9
softvol=yes
softvol-max=500
The last two lines increase tablet's vol. Use any number for your taste

***** Apps
- Advanced-power has a new version 0.3.6, with some added features. Go to the thread and update your 0.3.2 oldies. Yes, unadvertised special!
If you are running 0.3.3 or earlier version, you should be able to install via appManager, you have to install advanced-power-monitor first then advanced-power-0.3.6; if encounter dependency problem, do the following,
xterm
gainroot
dpkg -i /path/advanced-power-0.3.6-1_all.deb ; apt-get -f install
path is the location of the file; I guess you would need to enable extras-devel
- Almost TI Grapphing Calc Emulator This is a MUST app for family has high school kids. This is NOT any ordinary calc, it is a graphic calc, you have to play with it before you know how to draw graph. Your kids use their TI85 graphic calc, and you use your nokia to check their work. Sweet. Or you practice on your nokia 1st by yourself, and then turn around to 'show' your kid how to do it on their TI85, as if you know it all by heart. How do you like that?
- MC midnightcommander a very fast textbased file manager
- mileage a small gem I found, works wonder for people doing MPG on their car. I luv it.
- Tutorial-home-applet PLEASE uninstall, occupying 3.9 MB of space for what? If I want to know anything about the tablet, I go to Krisse tablet school. Period.

***** Games
- Lbreakout2 Classic of the classic, the dumb ball and paddle game that I used to play on Apple II+, but with more graphics and also, network players. Nice. Also works with 770 running 2008He.

Where do you find these apps? Most of them are under extras-devel, just enable extras-devel, they will show up, install via AppManager and disable extras-devel after installation. Why disable extras-devel? Not quite sure, everybody say so, I guess it is the right thing to do

enjoy,

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-23 at 17:52.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
How do I post with the attached picture as big as I want to? I hate it when it shrink. Any suggestions?

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-09 at 23:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:

Tags
apps