Posts: 47 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Hi,

I had need of an additional library (which is available in the extras repository for the N900) for my app and couldn't find any documented way to add it to my development environment (currently playing with the new QT SDK). Spent a fair bit of time searching..

Ended up just downloading the debs (lib.deb & lib-dev.deb) and manually extracting them into the fremantel-arm-sysroot. Worked like a charm (and the resulting binary runs fine on the N900 as well).

Just wondering if there's a 'proper' way to add additional development libraries to the Nokia QT SDK or whether what I did is the best way forward atm. IIRC, the original SDKs allowed you to apt-get additional software into the compile target environment (never used them much).

Cheers,
- Micha.

The Following User Says Thank You to mwerle For This Useful Post:
Bump!

This is a bit of an oversight, I'm getting really confused as how to actually use MADDE with the sysroot, do I chroot to it and 'mount' a bunch of stuff or is there a hidden script somewhere which can do that for me so I get a scratchbox-like environment? I saw that there's dpkg somewhere there but I couldn't find apt-get, the scratchbox+esbox was a little messy under ubuntu but it was fairly straightforward to add -dev packages with apt. I would really like OpenGL ES and EGL libraries+headers for instance!

Extracting armel debs on top feels really really dirty.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I don't think it's so much an oversight as missing functionality. Don't forget, MADDE is still a tech-preview and the Nokia QT SDK a beta.

You can do things like "mad apt-cache search xyz" which works fine, but "mad apt-get install xyz" fails due to insufficient perms. Hence my question of whether there's a way to do it 'properly' with the current tech previews, or whether hacking is -currently- the only option.

I'm sure the final SDKs will have a proper way to add additional libs to targets.

Hi,

there is already a thread about 3rd party library support in MADDE. Please have a look there as well.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
I would also like some description what the proper route of importing 3rd party libs to targets is.

Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post
Hi,
there is already a thread about 3rd party library support in MADDE. Please have a look there as well.
Daniel
The linked thread is only a bunch of developers shaking their heads that MADDE doesnt appear to have much support for installing 3rd party libs. What is described is how you could install it using the old SDK (scratchbox) and general thoughts that perhaps the same could be done with MADDE. But in general, everyone explains it is just a pain.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48536&page=2 has the instructions (post by mst0) for achieving this - it requires some file copying from the device to the host.

This is a known problem, and it will be solved a future version of MADDE.

Originally Posted by macron View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48536&page=2 has the instructions (post by mst0) for achieving this - it requires some file copying from the device to the host.

This is a known problem, and it will be solved a future version of MADDE.
saw this as well. basically to summarise, to get a 3rd party for your target in MADDE, you can either use scratchbox and copy junk to MADDE after or you can install the same desired lib directly on the phone itself and then copy from the phone to MADDE. brilliant. Yes I hope they fix this in the future.