Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
The device received have first MeeGo 1.2 harmattan release, Aka PR 1.0.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Look like nokia repository are down

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I've also got notified about something Li-ion-containing coming my way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post

Open Mode allows you to bypass Aegis (a "security" watchdog)

You may read more about it here
I see the word "bricked" in the open mode thread. This scares the hell out of me with the N950.

Is there another way to get around security in stock kernels? What is this "inception" I'm reading about and how does that relate to this?

Will I need any of the non-stock modes to possibly get bluetooth-PAN working?

Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I received in the meantime the DHL shipment Mail for my N9, too.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
got a tracking number for the n9

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munozferna For This Useful Post:
DHL email recieced here too! I guess no 2-3 weeks wait...

Already downloaded the leaked P.R1.3 firmware to flash the n950.

BTW, as a begginer to MeeGo / Harmattan I (and probably others) would like to ask:
*Is inception sufficent for development on the n950 or should I use open mode kernel? (my guess after a bit of reading is that it will suffice)

*What is the Extras-devel equivalent repository for harmattan (where all the ...-dev packages are)?

*Is it risky to flash the n950 with the leaked P.R1.3 firmware? (slowdowns or firmware down-grading problems)

Last edited by aStrike; 2012-10-30 at 22:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aStrike For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
I see the word "bricked" in the open mode thread. This scares the hell out of me with the N950.

Is there another way to get around security in stock kernels? What is this "inception" I'm reading about and how does that relate to this?

Will I need any of the non-stock modes to possibly get bluetooth-PAN working?

Thanks!

Bricked is a term i would associate with Android not Harmattan; you cant put your device into a non-recoverable state simply by flashing another kernel... Open mode is a kernel that isn't signed by Nokia's keys hence aegis is bypassed allowing you to do whatever you want but also disabling features like device lock and pin codes for MfE accounts...

Inception is an exploit that takes advantage of a hole in aegis' implementation to allow you certain privileges... For example anything that is a system package or file will have an origin of 'com.nokia.maemo' which means if you want to replace it with a package it wont be possible as your package is from a less trusted origin called 'unknown origin'! However, inception allowd.you to do the replacement by assigning origin 'com.nokia.maemo/local' which is more trusted by Aegis than the default origin

The con of inception is that to install back a system package to replace your user package, you would need to incept the system package too due to the trust worthiness of the origins... The main pro of inception is that it doesn't put your phone into open mode hence you don't lose those features that open mode does mentioned above

The con of open mode you already know, the pro is that you can on-demand replace any system package with your own package by assigning the same com.nokia.maemo origin to it hence whenever you want to restore the system package, you wont have issues as both of them have the same rank of origin...

For what you require, kojacker has posted those instructions and I think you would just be able to add them into the device since they don't already exist... I haven't tried doing those steps yet but will try today and report if you need to install it from a trusted origin...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
inception inception/open mode should only be needed if you plan to develop kernel level suff or your app requires extra capabilities. For qt dev you only need to enable developer mode on the phone and get qtsdk.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munozferna For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Great to see so many people receiving their DHL shipping notices and devices! And wow.. 64Gb versions of the N9 too.. I didn't expect that, I hope it's the same for everyone
Whoa, whem Quim was here, he said, that all N9's (for Community Awards and Coding competition and other programs) are 16GB N9, and indeed, Community Awards receivers got those.

It's nice surprise, that they're sending 64GB ones now. It seems, that mess in Nokia can sometimes be very convenient

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas