Active Topics

I tried passing -screen 1024x768@96 to Xomap just to see what happens ... After about 25 minutes I got to the Enlightenment Splash screen... and 30 minutes after that hadn't moved lol..

Yeah.. that didn't work . And now that I pulled the battery to shut off it wont boot into it anymore with the fsck enabled lol. So I had to modify the /etc/fstab so it doesn't fsck on boot until I can fix that.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, I think all you did there was make a really big physical X-Server, that went off the screen somewhere into the dark reaches of null-space.

What we need is a WM that handles a big virtual desktop. I suspect that fvwm2 probably does (I mean, it has Virtual in the name, right?) and I'm sure that metacity/Gnome can do it... How, I don't know... Drat, packages.debian.org is unresponsive for me right now, that's how I search for these things.

From the FVWM manual:
31.9.3. DesktopSize

DesktopSize HorizontalxVertical

Defines the virtual desktop size in units of the physical screen size.
and...

Fvwm provides multiple virtual desktops for users who wish to use them. The screen is a viewport onto a desktop which may be larger than the screen. Several distinct desktops can be accessed (concept: one desktop for each project, or one desktop for each application, when view applications are distinct). Since each desktop can be larger than the physical screen, divided into m by n pages which are each the size of the physical screen, windows which are larger than the screen or large groups of related windows can easily be viewed.

The (m by n) size (i.e. number of pages) of the virtual desktops can be changed any time, by using the DesktopSize command. All virtual desktops must be (are) the same size. The total number of distinct desktops does not need to be specified, but is limited to approximately 4 billion total. All windows on a range of desktops can be viewed in the FvwmPager, a miniature view of the desktops. The pager is an accessory program, called a module, which is not essential for the window manager to operate. Windows may also be listed, along with their geometries, in a window list, accessible as a pop-up menu, or as a separate window, called the FvwmWinList (another module).

Fvwm keeps the windows on the desktop in a layered stacking order; a window in a lower layer never obscures a window in a higher layer. The layer of a window can be changed by using the Layer command. The concept of layers is a generalization of the StaysOnTop flag of older fvwm versions. The StaysOnTop and StaysPut Style options are now implemented by putting the windows in suitable layers and the previously missing StaysOnBottom Style option has been added.

Sticky windows are windows which transcend the virtual desktop by "Sticking to the screen's glass". They always stay put on the screen. This is convenient for things like clocks and xbiffs, so you only need to run one such gadget and it always stays with you. Icons can also be made to stick to the glass, if desired.

FVWM probably sounds like the way to go... I was trying to figure out how to do it with Xomap or Xephyr but there isn't a lot of document on their CLI options that I can find..

I just want my Xorg >.>.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
And the nice thing is that if I go with fvwm (which, so far, I like better than IceWM) I can "borrow" stuff from other places.

(hmm, for some reason I can't find the post where coffeedrinker posts some details of how he integrated the fvwm desktop and the OS2008 panels)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
And the nice thing is that if I go with fvwm (which, so far, I like better than IceWM) I can "borrow" stuff from other places.

(hmm, for some reason I can't find the post where coffeedrinker posts some details of how he integrated the fvwm desktop and the OS2008 panels)
It does that by itself; try it. (He may have some geometry settings to help out, but it's working out-of-box.)

I figured out the easy way of stopping matchbox, which was the hardest bit (for me). Mostly it just works.

Oh, here it is:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Ok, or maybe one better... get the existing code to do all the work for us.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh
. /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
. /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh
Call that with either start or stop arguments to start or stop matchbox.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-08-26 at 21:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Hey yeah, that's the thread I was looking for! I'll steal borrow some ideas from that project to get a nice-looking Debian fvwm desktop.

At this point, I'm thinking fvwm2 is probably the icewm replacement for the final Easy Debian image file.

Benson, or someone else proficient in fvwm, could you help me get a config that has six desktops (2 high x 3 wide), with a tiny desktop switcher that sits tightly in the bottom right corner, and a nice theme with minimal window dressings (thin top bar, especially)? Perhaps some kind of thin launcher / status panel against the left or right side, too...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
(I guess someone who'd do this would use Debian instead of ITOS so I ask this here.)

I wonder if anyone is using the NIT primarily for CLI, and what kind of modifications were made to make it running for this purpose easier. For example, I find the large font in osso-terminal together with the resolution difficult to deal with.

For Maemo I lowered the font settings by going into Menu->Tools->Settings.. 10 or 12 are more legible.

For Debian pretty much all of the default terminal's are pretty small and easier to read.

Isn't much we can do about the resolution yet.. until one of us put all our attention into the "virtual" desktop that was being mentioned in Easy Debian's arena.

I also find for advanced and long sessions either a USB keyboard (with adapter) or a BT keyboard is much preferred over the default on-screen or N810 hardware keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Wow I had not thought about lowering the font size yet thank you very much!

I put at 12. 10 was barily readable. However in the case where space is important, it might be temporarily doable.

I found this post from qwerty12: Some tiny osso-xterm mods... he provides a way to easily lower or increase the font size. That might be useful.

I'll look into the keyboard thing. I don't like to replace batteries though, its another point of failure and they keep costing money (and bad for environment). I'm also afraid the keyboard won't be supported well, while the Nokia SU-8W goes for approx 90 EUR which is a lot of money for a simple keyboard.

I'm seriously considering abolishing X and using screen and ssh solely on my NIT (using 'Debian'). The only thing I can think of I'd be missing would be pictures while browsing. I guess I'd need a framebuffer for that. Another thing I'd miss would be Navicore, but I don't like this application anyway, and will probably use a Nokia phone for this purpose in the near future. RSS would be perfect in console, and all kind of statistics as well. Besides, the applications keep running on a remote server. Add to that that the device becomes suitable to administer servers, with convenient copy/paste. Although maybe a very lightweight WM is also an option. Has anyone here gone through this path?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I'll look into the keyboard thing. I don't like to replace batteries though, its another point of failure and they keep costing money (and bad for environment). I'm also afraid the keyboard won't be supported well, while the Nokia SU-8W goes for approx 90 EUR which is a lot of money for a simple keyboard.
Get a USB keyboard.. no Batteries. For an N810 you need a F-F USB Coupler.. $3-$5.. and flip it into host mode (search around iTT). Acts just like a USB keyboard in a desktop.

I use a foldable plexi one that you can roll up (think Live Free or Die Hard)... I wouldn't recommend them.. sure they are portable and mobile but pressing the keys on them become a pain (you have to hit straight down.. pushing on the sides won't work.. slows me down a bit). Still.. I use it over the hardware keyboard on the N810.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian